Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
8.0 or 8.5 wires?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2004, 11:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 8.0 or 8.5 wires?

Ok, I now have 36k miles and want to change plugs and wires. I'm not sure if I should get the 8.0 or 8.5 magnecor wires or not. I'm also not sure on the champion double or single plugs. 'Autotrucktoys' seem to have the best price. I really don't need the 'high'performance, but better performance would be great. Any help? Thanks!!!
Old 18 Jul 2004, 03:22 am
Senior Cruiser

For what it is worth, it dont make a whole lot of difference between the width in most wires. Of course most say the bigger the better but I think both would be just fine for your application!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1lowufo

Ok, I now have 36k miles and want to change plugs and wires. I'm not sure if I should get the 8.0 or 8.5 magnecor wires or not. I'm also not sure on the champion double or single plugs. 'Autotrucktoys' seem to have the best price. I really don't need the 'high'performance, but better performance would be great. Any help? Thanks!!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 18 Jul 2004, 04:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Go here - http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...ark,plug,wires
Should help answer your question.[8D]
Old 18 Jul 2004, 09:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

It Doesn't matter, becasue plugs and wires are not going to make any kind of noticable difference in the first place...

Old 18 Jul 2004, 02:03 pm
Young Cruiser

First, new plugs and wires DO make a difference. I had a set of stock and Magnecor wires checked at a local Chrysler dealership. The stock wires showed anywhere from 1350 to 2000 ohms of resistance while the Magnecors were consistant at 208 ohms resistance. I know that Magnecores are advertised at 250 ohms but the Fluke used does not lie. Right there you are getting more "juice" to the plugs for a stronger spark. Stock plugs are designed for a very wide range of conditions and drivers (read grandma), not for performance. The Champion double platinums (gapped at.045") are more expensive, but will last longer, provide a hotter and more consistant spark through out the RPM range.
As long as you are in there I would recommend installing a Screamin Demon coil. It provides a very consistant 40,000 volt while the stock coil struggles to make a intermittent 36,000 and drops off sharply over 4000RPMs.
I installed all the above on my 2003 touring edition with 38,000 miles on it and realized an actual 2MPG increase and picked up nearly 7 MPH at the top end. My car would top out at 99MPH before the install and 106 after. This is with a full tank of fuel and the back seats installed.
[^]
In closing, new wires, plugs and a good coil make a difference.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 08:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree with snakepitt.
My cruiser had bad plugs at about 20000. It would stumple kind of funning while at a light stopped and backing up.

I forgot the Demon Coil, if I had known about it earlier I may have installed this also.

My deceition went to the 8.5mm wires in red and Double Plat. plugs. I noticed a difference after pulling out of the garage. Drive was smooth and clean running. I couldn't believe that the PT would turn tire off the line again. It rode like stock once again.

SnakePitt,
Do you believe that the demon coil makes that much of a difference, that it is recommended in getting it even after you already did the plugs and wires.

I had mine up to 105 at 10000 miles. Don't worry it was at 12:00AM a night with no other cars on the freeway.