PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Odd Engine Light Activation

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2018, 11:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Odd Engine Light Activation

I have a 2004 Turbo with 100,000 miles on it. Brand new (not remanufactured) PCM about 20,000 miles ago.

This has happened twice now within two weeks .... I'll be parked with the car running and after two to three minutes, the engine light comes on flashing. Once moving, after 30 seconds to a minute, it goes out and doesn't come on again for a couple weeks. The key dance returns no error codes.

Temperature around here has been hovering just below the freezing mark. Temperature gauge remains pegged right at normal and the exhaust note is clean - no apparent mis-fires.

I've also had the same thing happen while going through the automatic car wash in the summer. The engine light will come on half way through and go out once I'm done and about a mile down the road.

The only thing I can think right now is possibly some ice melting while I'm parked with the car running which causes dampness to get where it shouldn't, then dries out removing the "short". (?)

I don't "think" it's anything to be concerned about, but just curious how you guys would diagnose this ?

Thanks,
Mark.
Old 07 Dec 2018, 07:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Odd Engine Light Activation

Forum member myckee hopefully will see your post and will chime in, he is very knowledgeable about the PCM's.

But in the mean time, I don't think there are any "new" PCM's available, even the ones from dealerships are "remanufactured" but it is possible that you may have gotten a NOS one.

Where did you get it from? (dealership, Ebay, online, etc)

Who installed it?

Was is programmed prior to install and if so, who did the programming?

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
160k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 07 Dec 2018, 07:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Since it goes off once you start moving...check your oil, power steering fluid (if you have the sensor) and oxygen sensors. JMO

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 07 Dec 2018, 11:56 am
Regular Cruiser

Sounds as if you have a connector that is not canected tight
Gets water in and shorts for short time when you drive dryers out
Old 07 Dec 2018, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the engine has not had a head gasket replacement and valves redone I would suggest checking the engine compression on all four cylinders. If you have a cylinder that has low engine compression but just enough to fire most times then when it does not fire it is flooding the cylinder with fuel and that is what might have caused the engine light to flash due to excessive fuel getting to the CAT.
Old 07 Dec 2018, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It seems to me that the colder weather has some effect on connector tightness - I have noticed this with my OBDC connector! (Ultragauge).

And I'd also suspect general gremlins caused by slightly low battery voltage (cold battery misbehaving?)
Old 08 Dec 2018, 12:09 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Forum member myckee hopefully will see your post and will chime in, he is very knowledgeable about the PCM's.

But in the mean time, I don't think there are any "new" PCM's available, even the ones from dealerships are "remanufactured" but it is possible that you may have gotten a NOS one.

Where did you get it from? (dealership, Ebay, online, etc)

Who installed it?

Was is programmed prior to install and if so, who did the programming?
It was purchase from a forum member here who had purchased it new years prior. It was programmed at the local dealership for my car who confirmed it was indeed brand new and never programmed. They were surprised I found one !

Mark.
rckstein likes this.
Old 08 Dec 2018, 12:12 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandroller View Post
It seems to me that the colder weather has some effect on connector tightness - I have noticed this with my OBDC connector! (Ultragauge).

And I'd also suspect general gremlins caused by slightly low battery voltage (cold battery misbehaving?)
Now that you mention it, I have noticed on occasion the headlights would randomly dim and I could hear the heater blower slow slightly in speed along with them.

I've had the car a bit over four years and haven't changed the battery - not sure how old it is.

Mark.
Old 08 Dec 2018, 03:03 am
Senior Cruiser

You're battery is questionable and it is time to change it. [or gamble]. The alternator should maintain a steady voltage while the car is running. Including the headlights, heater fan, and radiator fan all being on. You can make or buy a voltmeter that plugs into the cigarette lighter receptacle under the radio. That will tell you how much it's charging, and when.
Old 08 Dec 2018, 07:17 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by markroach View Post
I don't "think" it's anything to be concerned about, but just curious how you guys would diagnose this ?

Thanks,
Mark.
From the owner's manual:
"If the Malfunction Indicator Light flashes when the
engine is running, serious conditions may exist
that
could lead to immediate loss of power or severe catalytic
converter damage. The vehicle should be serviced as
soon as possible if this occurs"

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercise's in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." J. K. Galbraith