Advertisements
When you need a new battery

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jan 2019, 11:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default When you need a new battery

2007 PT Cruiser - 107k

During those unfortunate times when I need a new battery I find that the only place that I can get it done is at my local Firestone. Places like Auto Zone, etc won't do it. They said that because the cover of the air filter has to be moved to get to the battery they refuse to do it ! Even when I offered to move it to the side myself for them ! The only battery that Firestone offers that fits my car is Interstate. Do any of you run into that problem ? I am considering the next time to change it myself but am unsure exactly what is involved. Or perhaps switching to a battery that might last longer...Interstate batteries last on average 2 years for me. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 05 Jan 2019, 02:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: When you need a new battery

I get my batteries from AAA club. 3 year replacement and 6 years prorated. I find it is hard to find batteries that fit the Pt Cruiser anymore.
Old 05 Jan 2019, 05:51 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylM View Post
2007 PT Cruiser - 107k

During those unfortunate times when I need a new battery I find that the only place that I can get it done is at my local Firestone. Places like Auto Zone, etc won't do it. They said that because the cover of the air filter has to be moved to get to the battery they refuse to do it ! Even when I offered to move it to the side myself for them ! The only battery that Firestone offers that fits my car is Interstate. Do any of you run into that problem ? I am considering the next time to change it myself but am unsure exactly what is involved. Or perhaps switching to a battery that might last longer...Interstate batteries last on average 2 years for me. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
You might have a different airbox, so take this with a pinch of salt, but you can mod the airbox if you're handy with a saw. The piece that covers the battery is a resonator, so it makes no difference.

Cut it at the "seam" - the ridge that runs around it - and block the hole thats left (use fibreglass matting etc, or even a thick piece of foam glued in place - anything that will stop crap getting inside)

That leaves the battery exposed, and they've got no excuse.

Don't worry about physical size of the battery being the same as standard, so long as it fits. It can be smaller, so long as the amperage is the same or as near as damn it, and the posts are the same orientation.
Old 05 Jan 2019, 07:38 am
Banned

Quote:
2007 PT Cruiser - 107k

You don't say if you have an NA or Turbo PT? The battery hold down is different on each.

This is for the NA:

The airbox has to come out to replace the battery. To do that, it's best to remove the airbox cover by unscrewing the clamp on the hose going to the throttle body and remove the cover from the hose. Unclip the 2 clips holding the cover onto the box and remove the cover. To remove the airbox itself, it's kind of tight in the grommets so give a hard pull straight up to release the grommets. You'll also see a tube on the side of the airbox going into the fender area as you pull out the box.

There will be a rubber hose at the bottom on the side of the airbox that must then be disconnected. After disconnecting that hose the airbox then should just lift completely out of the vehicle.

Removing the airbox then gives you access to the battery hold down bolt at the rear of the battery. Disconnect the negative battery terminal first then the positive, after replacing battery reconnect cables in reverse order (positive first then negative).

To reinstall the airbox, there are 3 rubber grommets that must be lined up: 1 on the rear of the box that needs to be lined up with a tab on the TIPM bracket as you lower the airbox back into place:

And 2 on the bottom of the box:

Once all the grommets are lined up give a hard push down on the box to engage all the grommets.

Then reconnect everything else in reverse order.

I've had 2 Interstate batteries and didn't like either. Both leaked around the positive post causing corrosion on the terminal and cable end that had to be constantly cleaned about every 2-3 weeks. When they did replace it once under their warranty it was prorated so I had to pay something. When it failed the second time I got a different brand elsewhere.
Cat22 likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 05 Jan 2019 at 07:42 am.
Old 05 Jan 2019, 08:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yet one more reason to stay away from Autozone. When I worked for them, I didn't care what type vehicle a customer had, I would install a battery if they needed one and were buying it from me. Cadillac and Oldsmobile and Buick all had some braces that had to be removed on a LOT of their models. I didn't care and did it anyway. Not to sound like a jerk, but have you tried Advance? I worked as an assistant manager for them for a while too and their batteries were supplied by Johnson Controls and were very reliable. And we didn't care what vehicle it was either. A PT would have been NO challenge for any of the employees in the store I was in. Geez, what the hell has happened to customer service and satisfaction?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 05 Jan 2019, 01:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

One thing I remember reading is that if the airbox isn't installed properly, it can dent the hood when closing the hood. I never encountered this but took it as a word of caution and am always careful reinstalling the air box. Maybe bad experience is why some places refuse to install the battery?

Otherwise, battery replacement is easy, I've done it a number of times ('01 Cruiser, original owner), and I can't tell you how many times I've had the air box out & in.

Last edited by RickinPA; 05 Jan 2019 at 01:19 pm.
Old 05 Jan 2019, 02:47 pm
Veteran Cruiser

After replacing the terminal clamps with better aftermarkets I got from Autozone, they installed a new OPTIMA 34 R red top battery. No problems. Very satisfactory. Subsequently I did a bit if modification to SOOO BIG by installing a later model NA air cleaner. Primarily to show of the red top OPTIMA 34 R battery but also it gives much better access to the terminals.
I got the battery from Autozone for a great sale price. It fit perfectly in the battery tray and as I mentioned the installation by Autozone was uneventful and sucessful.Three year unlimited replacement warranty. It'll last a lot longer than that.
Happy PTin', ptprice

OPTIMA 34R battery after replacing original terminal clamps and Autozone installation.
redtop33.jpg

OPTIMA 34R in place with simple air cleaner mount modifications to accommodate later model NA air cleaner.
redtop22.jpg

Later model NA air cleaner in situ.
redtop6.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 06 Jan 2019, 12:32 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Yet one more reason to stay away from Autozone. When I worked for them, I didn't care what type vehicle a customer had, I would install a battery if they needed one and were buying it from me. Cadillac and Oldsmobile and Buick all had some braces that had to be removed on a LOT of their models. I didn't care and did it anyway. Not to sound like a jerk, but have you tried Advance? I worked as an assistant manager for them for a while too and their batteries were supplied by Johnson Controls and were very reliable. And we didn't care what vehicle it was either. A PT would have been NO challenge for any of the employees in the store I was in. Geez, what the hell has happened to customer service and satisfaction?
I've got an Advance Auto battery in my PT now, a second one. The first one failed after 23 months of their 24 month warranty. They replaced it for zero $ out of my pocket, unlike a prorated warranty like from Interstate. So I have a battery that should last at least 2 more years in this Texas heat. But I do like the Advance warranty of free replacement at anytime during the warranty period.
ptprice likes this.
Old 14 Jan 2019, 09:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
2007 PT Cruiser - 107k

Do you have a Batteries Plus in your area? I'm using a house brand AGM battery from Batteries Plus that's just now getting weak after six years in the Phoenix, Arizona heat. "AGM" stands for Absorbed (or Absorbent) Glass Mat. Those are different from the regular flooded cell batteries that you can sometimes add water to. AGM batteries are also more expensive.

A Batteries Plus store may be able to install the battery for you. (They also sell regular batteries.)

A really big advantage to an AGM battery is that they don't corrode the battery cables and all the electrical stuff in the vicinity. Optima is another brand of AGM battery, and I used them exclusively until they moved their manufacturing from Colorado to Mexico. Their quality tanked and I was getting stranded. They honored their warranty, but getting stranded sucked. If Optima is manufacturing back in the USA again, I'd like to know about it. Otherwise, I am getting great results from other brands that are made in the USA.
Old 28 Jan 2019, 11:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry that it has been a while since I have been back on here. Thanks for all the input. Now to bring you up to speed. I have added a picture to show you what the battery looks like under the hood.

Last week I did take my PT Cruiser to Firestone to have them check it. At first they said the battery tested Good and wasn't showing any problems. After I left the manager called me back and said he thought of something else that I might want to consider. He suggested that I bring my car back in...they would test it...let it set for a couple of hours then test it again. They did and it did show that the voltage was dropping out...or something like that. Long story short...they replaced my battery...still under warranty. They even upgraded ....all at NO CHARGE ! Can't beat that !!

ptbattery2.jpg