PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
emergency!

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jan 2019, 01:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default emergency!

Via a series of tragedy of errors I have been away from the forum for a long time.

As for the emergency plaguing me at the moment there is no CEL but the car makes a ratchet noise when I try the ignition. At the same time the fuel needle stutters in the E spot at the same time the temp gauge stutters on the C mark. The battery is not dead but it could be close. I am on a parked street at a meter. Any quick ideas what to jiggle it into igniting the engine?

PS with the key on the half on position there are lights and gas and the temp gauge is fine. Key dance says "done" with no codes.

Last edited by OldMiner; 11 Jan 2019 at 01:04 pm.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 02:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: emergency!

It sounds like a loose connection, maybe a loose battery terminal or a low battery. It only takes a couple of volts to make lights and gauges work.

Check your battery terminal connections for corrosion or being loose.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 11 Jan 2019, 02:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks. I did check the connections and there is a tiny amount of corrosion and the connections are good. I am on another road trip and pulled over while it was dark to read and reply to some text messages and left the lights running and didn't realize it when it got light out. Approx 1 hour while this happened. Waiting for a tow truck to try to jump.
Old 11 Jan 2019, 03:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Probably all it is. Good luck!
OldMiner likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 11 Jan 2019, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you get the engine running check to see if you are getting around 14 volts with it running.

If the charging system is good then have a battery load test done. Good luck.
OldMiner likes this.
Old 12 Jan 2019, 06:13 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
It sounds like a loose connection, maybe a loose battery terminal or a low battery. It only takes a couple of volts to make lights and gauges work.

Check your battery terminal connections for corrosion or being loose.

^ This

Check ALL your earth straps to the engine. Really try and move them about, and make sure all their connections are sound as a pound and wires are broken or corroded within the cable sheath which might look good, but don't carry no current

If they're not working properly, or starting to break down, you won't get either full amps in or out of the battery, and the starter will not operate properly regardless of how good it's positive connection is.
OldMiner likes this.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 11:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for all your help. It turned out to be a dead battery. At least, a jump revived it. Checked all the cables etc as suggested and everything is tight. I know this will sound weird but I am in a very humid but chilly area that as far as I know this car has never experienced such. This morning it started with a very rough idle and then threw a p0203 code which is a misfire in cylinder 3. Of course it's Sunday and only have minimum tools on board and 400 miles from home. My thoughts are even if I replace the plugs, wires, etc something else is gonna blow up before I can get out of the wet chill zone!
Old 13 Jan 2019, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
Thanks for all your help. It turned out to be a dead battery. At least, a jump revived it. Checked all the cables etc as suggested and everything is tight. I know this will sound weird but I am in a very humid but chilly area that as far as I know this car has never experienced such. This morning it started with a very rough idle and then threw a p0203 code which is a misfire in cylinder 3. Of course it's Sunday and only have minimum tools on board and 400 miles from home. My thoughts are even if I replace the plugs, wires, etc something else is gonna blow up before I can get out of the wet chill zone!
You might want to check the wiring and contact going to the fuel injector for cylinder 3. If that is okay some members have solved the problem by using some Techron fuel injection cleaner that is safe for the CAT.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 01:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
You might want to check the wiring and contact going to the fuel injector for cylinder 3. If that is okay some members have solved the problem by using some Techron fuel injection cleaner that is safe for the CAT.
I am hopeless with electrical or wiring. I could stumble through replacing the plugs and wires if I had space for that because there is a YouTube that shows how (!) but other than that electrical scares me due to a previous auto that died an ugly electrical death of still unknown causes. I spent thousands trying to resurrect it and have learned a lesson from that!
Old 13 Jan 2019, 03:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
I am hopeless with electrical or wiring. I could stumble through replacing the plugs and wires if I had space for that because there is a YouTube that shows how (!) but other than that electrical scares me due to a previous auto that died an ugly electrical death of still unknown causes. I spent thousands trying to resurrect it and have learned a lesson from that!
Do you full your gas tank with premium gas?