PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
emergency!

 
Like Tree15Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2019, 01:01 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 145
Default emergency!

Via a series of tragedy of errors I have been away from the forum for a long time.

As for the emergency plaguing me at the moment there is no CEL but the car makes a ratchet noise when I try the ignition. At the same time the fuel needle stutters in the E spot at the same time the temp gauge stutters on the C mark. The battery is not dead but it could be close. I am on a parked street at a meter. Any quick ideas what to jiggle it into igniting the engine?

PS with the key on the half on position there are lights and gas and the temp gauge is fine. Key dance says "done" with no codes.

Last edited by OldMiner; 11 Jan 2019 at 01:04 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2019, 02:04 pm
VsandFords's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gladewater, Texas
Posts: 1,866
Default Re: emergency!

It sounds like a loose connection, maybe a loose battery terminal or a low battery. It only takes a couple of volts to make lights and gauges work.

Check your battery terminal connections for corrosion or being loose.
__________________
Life is just a bowl of jello, full of fruits and nuts.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2019, 02:10 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 145
Default Re: emergency!

Thanks. I did check the connections and there is a tiny amount of corrosion and the connections are good. I am on another road trip and pulled over while it was dark to read and reply to some text messages and left the lights running and didn't realize it when it got light out. Approx 1 hour while this happened. Waiting for a tow truck to try to jump.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2019, 03:01 pm
VsandFords's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gladewater, Texas
Posts: 1,866
Default Re: emergency!

Probably all it is. Good luck!
OldMiner likes this.
__________________
Life is just a bowl of jello, full of fruits and nuts.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11 Jan 2019, 06:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,293
Default Re: emergency!

If you get the engine running check to see if you are getting around 14 volts with it running.

If the charging system is good then have a battery load test done. Good luck.
OldMiner likes this.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12 Jan 2019, 06:13 am
Sinbad's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 535
Default Re: emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsandFords View Post
It sounds like a loose connection, maybe a loose battery terminal or a low battery. It only takes a couple of volts to make lights and gauges work.


Check your battery terminal connections for corrosion or being loose.

^ This

Check ALL your earth straps to the engine. Really try and move them about, and make sure all their connections are sound as a pound and wires are broken or corroded within the cable sheath which might look good, but don't carry no current

If they're not working properly, or starting to break down, you won't get either full amps in or out of the battery, and the starter will not operate properly regardless of how good it's positive connection is.
OldMiner likes this.
__________________
_________________________________________
'07 2.2 CRD
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2019, 11:27 am
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 145
Default Re: emergency!

Thanks for all your help. It turned out to be a dead battery. At least, a jump revived it. Checked all the cables etc as suggested and everything is tight. I know this will sound weird but I am in a very humid but chilly area that as far as I know this car has never experienced such. This morning it started with a very rough idle and then threw a p0203 code which is a misfire in cylinder 3. Of course it's Sunday and only have minimum tools on board and 400 miles from home. My thoughts are even if I replace the plugs, wires, etc something else is gonna blow up before I can get out of the wet chill zone!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2019, 01:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,293
Default Re: emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
Thanks for all your help. It turned out to be a dead battery. At least, a jump revived it. Checked all the cables etc as suggested and everything is tight. I know this will sound weird but I am in a very humid but chilly area that as far as I know this car has never experienced such. This morning it started with a very rough idle and then threw a p0203 code which is a misfire in cylinder 3. Of course it's Sunday and only have minimum tools on board and 400 miles from home. My thoughts are even if I replace the plugs, wires, etc something else is gonna blow up before I can get out of the wet chill zone!
You might want to check the wiring and contact going to the fuel injector for cylinder 3. If that is okay some members have solved the problem by using some Techron fuel injection cleaner that is safe for the CAT.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2019, 01:50 pm
Regular Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 145
Default Re: emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
You might want to check the wiring and contact going to the fuel injector for cylinder 3. If that is okay some members have solved the problem by using some Techron fuel injection cleaner that is safe for the CAT.
I am hopeless with electrical or wiring. I could stumble through replacing the plugs and wires if I had space for that because there is a YouTube that shows how (!) but other than that electrical scares me due to a previous auto that died an ugly electrical death of still unknown causes. I spent thousands trying to resurrect it and have learned a lesson from that!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 13 Jan 2019, 03:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,293
Default Re: emergency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
I am hopeless with electrical or wiring. I could stumble through replacing the plugs and wires if I had space for that because there is a YouTube that shows how (!) but other than that electrical scares me due to a previous auto that died an ugly electrical death of still unknown causes. I spent thousands trying to resurrect it and have learned a lesson from that!
Do you full your gas tank with premium gas?
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Should Be in Your First Aid/Emergency Kit Handy_Cruiser General PT Cruiser Discussions 10 19 Jan 2016 08:38 pm
Emergency start Batfalcon Europe PT Forum 7 06 Feb 2013 02:25 am
Emergency start Batfalcon Sound and Security Forum 2 04 Jan 2013 02:59 pm
Emergency help cowboyinboxers Tech & Performance Forum 6 17 Oct 2012 01:45 pm
Emergency Brake proxeyed Tech & Performance Forum 8 21 Feb 2005 12:56 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors