PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How much......?

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2019, 11:38 am
Regular Cruiser

Default How much......?

Should one expect to pay someone else (because the owner has no tools and not enough brain!) to replace spark plugs and wires "out the door"? (parts and labor?) on a 2004 non turbo?
Old 13 Jan 2019, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How much......?

Have you ever had the plugs changed on it before?

On the NA, to replace the plugs the upper plenum has to be removed. Some shops charge an "access fee" to remove the plenum. While the plenum is removed new intake gaskets should probably be installed. While you're doing the plugs and wires, at the age of your PT and rough running, you might want to consider replacing the coil at the same time that the plenum is off. If you replace all the other items and not the coil, then have some issues and the coil needs to be replaced, there would be another "access fee" to remove the plenum again to replace the coil.

It's one of those things where "might as well" comes into play.

You might be able to save some money if you buy the parts, some shops will let you do that, but others won't as they have to provide the warranty on the parts and labor.

I recently purchased all the tune up parts for my PT through RockAuto and got a good deal on all genuine MOPAR parts, for a lot less than through a dealership with my work related discount or even through Amazon.
OldMiner likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
164k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 13 Jan 2019, 12:07 pm
Regular Cruiser

I could do it myself if not 400 miles away from home and on the way down instead of on the way back up to the home zip code... How long should I drive it with my shiny new CEL on? Just being facetious, I know with a CEL on in this car I would rather get it fixed. Gonna call a dealership to get a quote now that it's past 9 am.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 12:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
I could do it myself if not 400 miles away from home and on the way down instead of on the way back up to the home zip code... How long should I drive it with my shiny new CEL on? Just being facetious, I know with a CEL on in this car I would rather get it fixed. Gonna call a dealership to get a quote now that it's past 9 am.
Where are you?

I don't know of any dealership service department that's open on Sunday's.

Every time that I go to my dealership, they always give me an inspection report and service recommendations.

In looking back through those, their tune-up service is $160, which is plugs and wires only, nothing else. So you should be able to use that as a base price.
OldMiner likes this.

'06 Touring Edition NA Automatic
164k Miles / Electric Blue Pearl
USMC '82 - '93
Old 13 Jan 2019, 12:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks rckstein. The internet said the closest dealer service was open. This is a shock, to learn they are not! Guess I will find some repair shop along the way. Thanks for the tip on the rough estimate. Edited to add I am on the CA coast roughly between a rock and a hard place, headed to the middle of nowhere. I can find an open parts store but not a shop to install. How far will I get before a major breakdown? Only the PT knows for sure.....

Last edited by OldMiner; 13 Jan 2019 at 01:00 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Have you considered doing the key dance to find out what the engine trouble code is if you don't have an OBDII Scan Tool? You could go to most auto parts stores where they will give you the code that is triggering the engine light for free. It might be just a minor problem.

How to read error codes.....
OldMiner likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 Jan 2019 at 01:40 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 01:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Key dance says p0303 indicating misfire cylinder 3. Shop says 2 hr's labor ($300) and 150 for parts total almost $500 including tax. Seems outrageous.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 01:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Have you considered doing the key dance to find out what the engine trouble code is if you don't have an OBDII Scan Tool? You could go to most auto parts stores where they will give you the code that is triggering the engine light for free. It might be just a minor problem.

How to read error codes.....
Shop also said they want to run a "full diagnostic"... Does a tool give any more insight than the key dance?
Old 13 Jan 2019, 02:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
Key dance says p0303 indicating misfire cylinder 3. Shop says 2 hr's labor ($300) and 150 for parts total almost $500 including tax. Seems outrageous.

Shop also said they want to run a "full diagnostic"... Does a tool give any more insight than the key dance?
2 hours sounds right even though 1 hour should be enough. That shop rate seems pretty high but that varies depending on where you are.

$150 parts also sounds a little high but it depends on what all they plan to replace. This may include the plugs, wires and upper intake gasket (which doesn't really need to be changed much of the time). You can look those items up and see what the costs are before the shop puts their "list price" mark-up on them.

Their "full diagnostic" will likely just include using a shop-level scanner that can indeed see a lot more than just the codes you can get with the key-dance.

In the end, this issue is always do you trust the shop or not. And if for any reason you don't, just go somewhere else.

And of course, plugs and wires are about $50 and many folks could do this in the driveway in about an hours if they've done it before on a PT.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 13 Jan 2019 at 02:30 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 02:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
And of course, plugs and wires are about $50 and many folks could do this in the driveway in about an hours if they've done it before on a PT.
"hours"
yup I always knew.....U ...

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN