PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
quick question regarding valve cover gasket

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2019, 01:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default quick question regarding valve cover gasket

Does the valve cover gasket have to be replaced when changing plugs? Last much who did that job did not replace it.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 02:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: quick question regarding valve cover gasket

? If cover wasn't removed, why replace the gasket? Intake?
Old 13 Jan 2019, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The valve cover gasket does not necessarily need to be replaced when the spark plugs are replaced. On the non-turbo PT's, you will need to removed the upper part of the intake manifold. This is not very difficult and the gaskets for it are rubber and usually reusable.

The problem comes if there is oil in the spark plug wells. This is due to the o-rings that come as part of the valve cover kit. If the holes where your spark plugs go have a lot of motor oil in them, then you will likely want to change the valve cover at that time.

chuzz likes this.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 02:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

thank you. The tech at the facility said to replace the plugs they have to replace the gasket. I won't be using that facility since they seem to require 2 hours of labor to take off about 8 bolts and replace 4 spark plugs. Moving on!
Handy_Cruiser and circus like this.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMiner View Post
thank you. The tech at the facility said to replace the plugs they have to replace the gasket. I won't be using that facility since they seem to require 2 hours of labor to take off about 8 bolts and replace 4 spark plugs. Moving on!
Well hate to tell you but the flat rate labor is set for standards of labor time anywhere in the USA. There is a warranty and standard rate but judging a service shop because they are only trying to make HONEST dollar is ridicules.
I would also like to see the service estimate on exactly what is included and also what some shops add at no charge for their customers that often gets overlooked?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Jan 2019, 03:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Nitro I am never against a shop trying to make a buck. But this same chain gave me a written estimate for 125k service that included plugs, wires and tuneup for $400. So when the same customer rolls in on a Sunday needing just a portion of that service I expected it to be lower. Or even maybe the same? No matter how he tried to enter my vehicle info to reprint that estimate he said my data couldn't be retrieved because he said they upgraded computer system and lost the customer data. I didn't keep the estimate in the car but do have it at home. So I will be comparing the two in a couple of weeks. Their computer upgrade shouldn't cost the customer 20% more.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 03:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Nitro I am never against a shop trying to make a buck. But this same chain gave me a written estimate for 125k service that included plugs, wires and tuneup for $400. So when the same customer rolls in on a Sunday needing just a portion of that service I expected it to be lower. Or even maybe the same? No matter how he tried to enter my vehicle info to reprint that estimate he said my data couldn't be retrieved because he said they upgraded computer system and lost the customer data. I didn't keep the estimate in the car but do have it at home. So I will be comparing the two in a couple of weeks. Their computer upgrade shouldn't cost the customer 20% more.
LOOK really I deal with these kinds of comments similar to yours for decades on forums.
The upgrade DID NOT CHANGE the Nationally listed FLAT RATE advisory.

I am not nor do I want to argue this on this forum as this along with all other forum like these seem to think that auto service shops are all trying to rip you off like no other business in the USA or world ever would do that only auto service shops>

Honestly I am sorry I said anything on this thread because it is the same old info....

Some of you think that auto service shops are there for your benefit and not to make an income. ? LOL

ok done with this because later I am sure a couple of my old friends will sure to defend the little guy, the consumer them having never owned or operated a auto service shop and know all about them?

Why not just go back to you are doing it yourself and disregard my responses. LOL

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 13 Jan 2019, 04:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

I worked for a few years in the auto parts supply end and then as a buyer. Not saying that makes me an "expert" but I know a little about the wholesale pricing system. I also know that any customer has to realize overhead is factored into the price. But I also know about up sell and when that is happening I dig my heels in. I hated the fact the I was expected to have "X" percentage of up sell before my paycheck was calculated. That is one of the facts most customers don't know about. I got out of the business and couldn't be happier. I know unnecessary charges when I see them. The only blessing is that my car didn't end up there behind a tow truck. Talk about up sell! On a Sunday?! I am not criticizing you in any way just giving you my perspective and how it came to be.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 08:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I worked for a few years in the auto parts supply end and then as a buyer. Not saying that makes me an "expert" but I know a little about the wholesale pricing system. I also know that any customer has to realize overhead is factored into the price. But I also know about up sell and when that is happening I dig my heels in. I hated the fact the I was expected to have "X" percentage of up sell before my paycheck was calculated. That is one of the facts most customers don't know about. I got out of the business and couldn't be happier. I know unnecessary charges when I see them. The only blessing is that my car didn't end up there behind a tow truck. Talk about up sell! On a Sunday?! I am not criticizing you in any way just giving you my perspective and how it came to be.
If you understood that service shops mark their retail accordingly to protect for loss of labor should a part fail under warranty and needs to be replaced with no charge to the customer?

I say go start your own shop and see what you charge for parts and labor and see how long you stay in business paying your personal bills earned from the profits made from how some of you think these shops run.

As far as up selling products ....really that is the American way. Should I start to give examples starting from the 1800's.....LOL

It took a while to realize that most of the time your are doing a customer a service. The guy comes in and buys the cheap headers 49.95. You tell him he needs to buy Heat paint because the black on the headers is only there to protect it from rusting for sales packaging does he buy it NOPE. What was the complaint people had on these 49.95 headers that the paint all burned off in less then a week" LOL You tell the customer he should but heat treated lock washers. NOPE dont need them why because he is a smart guy and will tighten the bolts so that the header wont blow the gasket and leak. Week or so later the header leaks why the customers say cheap headers. Not really the idiot didn't listen to the UP-SELLING of a part the he should have used to prevent the gasket form leaking and blowing the gasket and warping the header flange. You suggest that the customer buy a better grade spark plug wire because he is using a header now. Nope the stock wires are just fine . week later he bitches because of the poor design of the header and the spark plug wires could not be routed to not touch the tubes burn and caused a misfire. ROLMAO I could go on and on about trying to up-sell parts and additions that should be purchased but NO I will sit back these days and read from all you that now we all that owned service shops and auto parts store were all out to rip you all off. ROLMAO!

What I love more than anything else is a PISSED of customer that comes in and say WHY DIDN'T SOME ONE SUGGEST TO ME I NEED OTHER PARTS FOR THE JOB!!!!! ROLMAO

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 13 Jan 2019 at 08:24 pm.
Old 13 Jan 2019, 09:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

But I wasn't buying headers.

I understand what you are saying. But this is about a basic service. Not an add on. I am willing to pay for the best plugs and wires one can get on a Sunday with a CEL on. I wasn't trying to cheap out. But getting add on without putting it on the estimate and paying triple for non OEM parts and saying their mechanics take more time because Cruisers are hard to fit hands into isn't an up sell it is a snow job. If I wanted to be in the automotive industry I would have stayed in it. I could write a book, "Things A Service Writer Is Never Supposed To Tell You" and spill all the industry secrets about how to increase profits for the owner but I would get killed. I am only half joking. Find me a 30 year service writer who got a gold watch and an attaboy on retirement. I'm sure there's one or two but for every one there are probably 1000 doctors or lawyers. We can agree to disagree or not but if there were as many reputable and affordable shops as you suggest there wouldn't be a need for great forums like this one. This site is affordable and fun, can't beat it with a stick! They should charge more!