PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Preferences on Replacement Alternator Brands?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rckstein

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jan 2019, 11:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Preferences on Replacement Alternator Brands?

The front bearing on my 2001 PT is dry. I may have a few more months left, but I need to replace it. What brands of new or rebuilt alternators have worked best for people? A lifetime warranty is nice, but I don't want to have to do this job over in a year.

I see new alternators available at about the same cost as a rebuilt with no core charge. Is it reasonable to disassemble a PT alternator to press out the original bearings and press in new ones? (I have the equipment, but have never done it.)

Rebuilt alternators at the car parts places are a crapshoot. They are rebuilt offshore and there's no way to tell i they're any good or just look pretty. I can't tell if new alternators for PT Cruisers are Chinese.

I was able to find a new Denso alternator for my Town & Country. It has been excellent. I can't find a Denso or a Mitsubishi for the PT.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 07:12 am
Banned

Default Re: Preferences on Replacement Alternator Brands?

If that's the original alternator in your '01, I would say that it did very well for the last 18 years.

You may want to go with a MOPAR alternator again.

Of course they are rebuilt, but it would be from MOPAR.

https://www.moparwebstore.com/a/Chry.../00i57502.html

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mo...generator,2412
Matt42 likes this.
Old 15 Jan 2019, 12:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Preferences on Replacement Alternator Brands?

Thanks for the ideas. I'm working on the assumption that the car has the original MoPar/Mitsubishi alternator. We bought the car in early 2009. It had 81,000 miles on the clock then. In the nearly ten years we've had it, it hasn't been driven much. It now has 87,500 on it. It's longest trip has been 500 miles. (My daughter hates driving.)

The heat here just destroys stuff. It evaporates or congeals grease and ruins rubber parts.

Have you used the MoPar webstore before? If so, are parts like the alternator actual MoPar parts? Thanks.

Last edited by Matt42; 15 Jan 2019 at 12:18 pm. Reason: To add a thank-you at the beginning.