PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
bad fuel?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2019, 11:18 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default bad fuel?

08 PT base 80k miles... has been running smoothly, pulled into gas station and filled up (took on about 8 gallons). Immediately upon driving out of the station, the "check engine" light comes on, upon acceleration the engine runs real rough, limp it home driving slowly. Upon arriving home, check the codes and find P0340 indicating a camshaft position sensor problem.

Could perhaps bad fuel or water in the fuel cause this? Just seems strange given that the problem occurred just after filling up.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 11:34 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: bad fuel?

The P0340 camshaft position sensor problem tends to come up with a change in climate, often at the change of seasons. If you're lucky, it could be a poor connection. Disconnect the sensor cable, clean the contacts with contact cleaner and plug it in to see if it gets better. Otherwise a new sensor is needed. Get a Mopar sensor mail order or from the dealer. Yes it's much more expensive than an aftermarket sensor, but the OEM sensor in this case tends to be a better item.

Good luck.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 11:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
The P0340 camshaft position sensor problem tends to come up with a change in climate, often at the change of seasons. If you're lucky, it could be a poor connection. Disconnect the sensor cable, clean the contacts with contact cleaner and plug it in to see if it gets better. Otherwise a new sensor is needed. Get a Mopar sensor mail order or from the dealer. Yes it's much more expensive than an aftermarket sensor, but the OEM sensor in this case tends to be a better item.

Good luck.
OK, thanks for the fast reply.
Temp took a nosedive last night, perhaps the cold has something to do with it.
Anyway, going with the Mopar sensor.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 12:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
T Get a Mopar sensor mail order or from the dealer. Yes it's much more expensive than an aftermarket sensor, but the OEM sensor in this case tends to be a better item.

Good luck.
My MOPAR sensor went out at 40K. Maybe I just got lucky, but my autozone after market with a lifetime warrant and 40% cheaper than the MOPAR, is still going after about 70K miles on it. 40% cheaper and lasting at least 40% longer is a better deal to me.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 01:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
My MOPAR sensor went out at 40K. Maybe I just got lucky, but my autozone after market with a lifetime warrant and 40% cheaper than the MOPAR, is still going after about 70K miles on it. 40% cheaper and lasting at least 40% longer is a better deal to me.
This makes me feel better. I know this is more hit and miss, and this anecdotal evidence is worth what we pay for it, but... I put an autozone one on when mine went out. Mopar ones were not available, and I needed to go on the 225 mile journey home on a Sunday. I think I have put 10-20K on it without incident. I tend not to worry about the warranty, but for something easy to swap, like this or an old V-8s alternator I would consider it. OTOH, for the PT alternator? I am going for the better part because the labor is way worse than the part price.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 02:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Buy two of the aftermarket and leave one in the glovebox. Probably come out cheaper and never have to worry about being stranded because of one failing.
chuzz likes this.
Old 25 Jan 2019, 03:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Buy two of the aftermarket and leave one in the glovebox. Probably come out cheaper and never have to worry about being stranded because of one failing.
I think you need a torx bit too.

FWIW, I don't think they actually strand you. Mine didn't, anyway. It just wouldn't let the car rev above something like 2,200 rpm. That is fine for me around town, but limiting me to 60 mph or whatever it is for the entire trip of NY to DC is a bit much and adds an hour to my trip. That is why I changed it to an Autozone sensor in the dark, in the rain. I think it took 5 minutes. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 12:05 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
We're coming up on 115K and currently running on our 3rd Mopar cam sensor. If this one fails I will be placing an order with Rockauto for an aftermarket sensor.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 02:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat22 View Post
We're coming up on 115K and currently running on our 3rd Mopar cam sensor. If this one fails I will be placing an order with Rockauto for an aftermarket sensor.
Hi Cat22
Are you sure your 2nd Mopar Camshaft Sensor was bad? I have 116K on my 2nd Mopar camshaft sensor. I would suggest you check the wiring or the contacts going to your camshaft sensor before replacing it again. I still have the original one in the glove compartment in case the problem was really a wiring or contact problem.
Old 26 Jan 2019, 06:32 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Sensor has been replaced with a Mopar unit... running fine.
Thanks for all the replies.