Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2019, 05:41 am
Young Cruiser

Default A/C question

Lately I've been noticing my A/C went from blowing excellent cold air, to starting to fade in and out. If I let it run right now, it warms up, then slightly cools down. Never gets completely cold but fades in and out.

I am hoping that's just a low freon sign but wanted to ask where people know their cruisers.

Anyone got a suggestion where to start? if it just sounds like freonI believe I can handle it.

My thought was it shouldn't be the compressor or it just wouldn't turn on. am I wrong?

Thanks as always!
Old 19 Feb 2019, 07:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: A/C question

First of all check that the cooling fan in front of engine is coming on
Old 19 Feb 2019, 07:55 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggajb View Post
First of all check that the cooling fan in front of engine is coming on
Thanks for the reply. Yes it's working. I had heat issues and the fan and harness were replaced 1.5 years ago. I have a monitor watching my OBDII and i watch it whenever I'm driving. I also make sure I hear the fans spinning down when I shut off the motor. I also monitor my coolant temp in real time.

No issue there.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 12:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Up and down cooling could bet the result of not enough or too much refrigerant in the system. There are high and low pressure switches that cut out the current to the magnet on the A/C compressor clutch. If the pressure is too high, it cuts out. If the pressure is too low, it also cuts out. Did you try to add R134a to the system lately? Chances are it's not too low, otherwise the compressor would never start to begin with.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 12:42 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Up and down cooling could bet the result of not enough or too much refrigerant in the system. There are high and low pressure switches that cut out the current to the magnet on the A/C compressor clutch. If the pressure is too high, it cuts out. If the pressure is too low, it also cuts out. Did you try to add R134a to the system lately? Chances are it's not too low, otherwise the compressor would never start to begin with.
Thanks for the reply!

That's why I came here before doing anything. I have not tried adding anything yet.

From your response I assume you mean getting something like this and refilling it myself? Otherwise is there an easy way to check the pressure? I can look up the specs on amount, just not sure how to approach.
Old 19 Feb 2019, 06:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Some thoughts. My wife's car had A/C problems and I fixed it with the help of my brother, a long time mechanic.

Only put straight R134a in your system. Don't put R134a with sealants in your system. I understand the sealants have the potential to foul up your A/C system. I've also heard repair shops check for sealant and it's a big hassle to get them serviced is sealant is present. (The link you provided appears to "Seal A/C leaks".) I've gotten cans of straight R134a at Walmart for about $5.

If it's low, it probably has a leak. My '01 Cruiser is still running on the factory A/C charge (knock on wood). On my wife's car I topped up the R134a a couple of time until I came to terms with "it has a leak, it needs to be fixed".

To find a leak, you add R134a with UV (ultraviolet) dye in it, a can of that is a little pricier. Then after you run it a bit, check it in the evening with a UV light. The dye glows (yellow-green if I remember correctly) where the leak is. I got a dual UV / white flashlight that was handy. Both the above items I got at a local auto parts store.

My wife's car had a leak where a flex hose was crimped on a fitting. My brother helped me replace the hose, including vacuuming down the system and refilling it with straight R134a. It's been fine since.
Old 20 Feb 2019, 01:33 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
Some thoughts. My wife's car had A/C problems and I fixed it with the help of my brother, a long time mechanic.

Only put straight R134a in your system. Don't put R134a with sealants in your system. I understand the sealants have the potential to foul up your A/C system. I've also heard repair shops check for sealant and it's a big hassle to get them serviced is sealant is present. (The link you provided appears to "Seal A/C leaks".) I've gotten cans of straight R134a at Walmart for about $5.

If it's low, it probably has a leak. My '01 Cruiser is still running on the factory A/C charge (knock on wood). On my wife's car I topped up the R134a a couple of time until I came to terms with "it has a leak, it needs to be fixed".

To find a leak, you add R134a with UV (ultraviolet) dye in it, a can of that is a little pricier. Then after you run it a bit, check it in the evening with a UV light. The dye glows (yellow-green if I remember correctly) where the leak is. I got a dual UV / white flashlight that was handy. Both the above items I got at a local auto parts store.

My wife's car had a leak where a flex hose was crimped on a fitting. My brother helped me replace the hose, including vacuuming down the system and refilling it with straight R134a. It's been fine since.
Great advice, thanks!

That's the part that concerns me. it doesn't just 'run low' without there being a reason. mine is an 07 and it's run 12 years without running low. Not hard to figure that out. I'm assuming there must be a leak somewhere.

Thanks again