5 speed hard to shift sometimes

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2019, 12:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 5 speed hard to shift sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyzman View Post
Here is a pic of the old flywheel Looks pretty worn down to me!
Wow, sure looks different than the 04. Been 13 years but vaguely remember the replacement being an assembled pressure plate, disc and flywheel unit.
Old 11 Apr 2019, 03:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus View Post
Wow, sure looks different than the 04. Been 13 years but vaguely remember the replacement being an assembled pressure plate, disc and flywheel unit.
Pretty sure that the GT has a completely different flywheel than N/A PTs. It is two pieces sandwiched around some type of gel. I think I described the failure of mine earlier in the thread. Mine went between 100 and 120,000 miles. Many of the high powered guys go to a one-piece.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 07:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Your cousin is not familiar with the DMF setup in the GT and pulled the motor with the clutch attached as that would be how you did it in a normal clutch. on these GTs, with their DMF, you treat the clutch assembly like you would a torque converter on an auto. It unbolts from the flexplate and the whole thing comes out with the trans.

When he goes to reinstall, he will install the new clutch assembly onto the input shaft of the trans, the same you would do with a torque converter in an auto car, and then install the trans to the engine. Once its mated together, then bolt up the clutch assembly to the flexplate and that's it.

If he tries to reinstall the same way he pulled it out, it will be a nightmare.
Old 12 Apr 2019, 09:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Your cousin is not familiar with the DMF setup in the GT and pulled the motor with the clutch attached as that would be how you did it in a normal clutch. on these GTs, with their DMF, you treat the clutch assembly like you would a torque converter on an auto. It unbolts from the flexplate and the whole thing comes out with the trans.

When he goes to reinstall, he will install the new clutch assembly onto the input shaft of the trans, the same you would do with a torque converter in an auto car, and then install the trans to the engine. Once its mated together, then bolt up the clutch assembly to the flexplate and that's it.

If he tries to reinstall the same way he pulled it out, it will be a nightmare.
Is this in the service manual?...I figure that is what he is going by. I will relay the info either way. Thanks for the head's up!

Last edited by shelbyzman; 12 Apr 2019 at 09:37 am.