• 2 Post By PTJoey
  • 2 Post By PTJoey
  • 2 Post By PTJoey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2019, 04:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Sprocket

2003 Limited Edition, 43.3K miles

Prompted by a leaking water pump, my car is at the local dealership for a water pump and timing belt replacement (both original). The dealer called me to say that one of the timing belt sprockets had a few bad teeth and also needed to be replaced. Is this something to be expected for a 16-year old (but low mileage) vehicle that has never been driven roughly? I can't say that I noticed any clues. Thanks.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 04:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Timing Belt Sprocket

can't say I have heard of any of the sprockets breaking or loosing teeth before... If that happened i would think the car wouldn't run correctly as the timing of the cam(s) would be thrown off.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 12 Mar 2019, 05:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTJoey View Post
2003 Limited Edition, 43.3K miles

Prompted by a leaking water pump, my car is at the local dealership for a water pump and timing belt replacement (both original). The dealer called me to say that one of the timing belt sprockets had a few bad teeth and also needed to be replaced. Is this something to be expected for a 16-year old (but low mileage) vehicle that has never been driven roughly? I can't say that I noticed any clues. Thanks.
I've never heard of this on a PT Cruiser. But there's always a first time. Go to the shop and ask to see the sprocket. Snap a photo with your phone and post it here.

Also, these sprocket are around $5 each at many salvage yards where you pull your own parts. And almost all the ones I've ever seen are pristine.
Busted_PT likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 12 Mar 2019 at 08:23 pm.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 05:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

or $30 through a mail order Mopar dealer:
https://www.factorychryslerparts.com.../04667609.html

or $40 MSRP. I'm sure the local Chrysler dealerships around here would charge about $50-$60 though.

Having taken these things off several times, they are really strong. I'm also surprised that teeth broke off from yours.
Old 12 Mar 2019, 07:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wouldn't be surprised if the dealer damaged the part and they try to get you to pony up for their mistake.
Old 13 Mar 2019, 03:25 am
Regular Cruiser

It is definitely not a common issue. Maybe the sprocket was damaged during production or when the shop worked on it (using pliers to hold them for remove the fastening bolt).

Since it is made of metal and the belt obviously not, it's highly unlikely to lose any theeth during normal operation.

Quote:
can't say I have heard of any of the sprockets breaking or loosing teeth before... If that happened i would think the car wouldn't run correctly as the timing of the cam(s) would be thrown off.
If it lost more than one or two, that would be the result. Most likely the belt would have been damaged, too, or at least show some unusual wear. So it might be a good idea to get a look at the belt, too.

But, on the bright side: they have to come off anyways to do the water pump, so its "just" a couple of bucks for some new sprockets. Work is the same.

Last edited by nj318; 13 Mar 2019 at 03:28 am.
Old 13 Mar 2019, 07:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for your comments. Dealer is charging me about $60. for the part which he is getting from another local dealer. You have confirmed my suspicions that mechanic may have damaged it. I'll investigate further.
Handy_Cruiser and JoeX like this.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 01:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Turned out that the damaged part was actually the crankshaft sprocket. The teeth were Ok; it was the back surface of the sprocket that had a chip. My guess is that the mechanic damaged it, but who knows for sure? Otherwise the car is running fine.
rckstein and rcktpwrd like this.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 02:34 pm
Banned

Your PT averages about 7 miles per day.

Getting 16 years of use before the first timing belt change, you did real good
Old 15 Mar 2019, 05:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Your PT averages about 7 miles per day.

Getting 16 years of use before the first timing belt change, you did real good
Thank you. I was clearly on borrowed time, but probably would have continued further were it not for the leaking water pump.

Appreciate the valued advice and knowledge received on this forum.
rckstein and My02RedRide like this.