Advertisements
Trunk relase problem..

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Deac1234

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2019, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Trunk relase problem..

On an intermittent basis, the trunk release will not work. Not from the remote nor the button in the glove box. Two push button 'dance' causes the tail lights to flash but not open the trunk.

I traced the wiring back to the harness that goes from the trunk into the body. At the sharpest pinch point the harness was damaged and one wire was cut. I opened and replaced ALL the wires in that harness, (more than one looked 'weak'). I replaced about 8 inches of wire. After that repair the car worked fine for two weeks. Today the problem returned.

I may have a bad wire or wires further up the harness but I'd like to prove the problem is there.

Along those lines, would anyone have a wiring diagram for the trunk lock and harness? Any help appreciated..

PT. Curiser - 2006, Touring, Turbo convertible.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 27 Apr 2019, 12:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Trunk relase problem..

I fought this battle myself a few years ago while installing a 2006 liftgate on my 2005 Franken-Cruiser.

I have pics of the inside & outside of the door & connectors there, but I'm afraid you're in for a bit of a headache with your particular problem, and it may have nothing to do with the car itself.

The electric latch on these uses a DC motor, not a solenoid. Usually this arrangement will consist of a gearbox, motor, and switches to turn off power to the motor once the latch is tripped; but not these ones.

Instead, they use what are known as PPTC resistors or "Polyfuses" in series with the motor to keep it from burning up the brushes/windings if you hold the button down. It's on a PCB there under the black plastic cover.

These are intended to be a self-resetting fuse to protect electronics, and they work well in that application. But at least here in Texas, they don't hold up over the long haul; they shift in value and the motor stops working. I think it's the constant baking in the Tejas sun 10 months out of the year.

The power window switch in mine uses this polyfuse circuit as well, and I've had it fail this way as well.

I've replaced the latch in Franken-Cruiser 3 times with boneyard parts; I'll get a year or two out of the part if I'm lucky. I had one I pulled and it was DOA with the same problem. :facepalm:

Don't try bypassing the PolyFuse; I did and burned up the relay in less than a day, with smoke and almost fire under the dash.

If you take the latch out (requires big T30 or T40 socket, IIRC) and apply power to the actuator and it doesn't work, odds are this is your problem. New ones are still available from the dealer for ~$150 Part Number is 4589016AC. I know that's painful but probably the only way to get one that will last a while. Of course, if you can spare the time, the boneyard is a lot cheaper and you may get lucky.

Cheers,

mnem
"Objects in rear-view mirror may appear closer than they are..."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTC Liftgate Latch (Small).jpg (53.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by mnementh; 27 Apr 2019 at 01:02 pm.
Old 27 Apr 2019, 01:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deac1234 View Post
On an intermittent basis, the trunk release will not work. Not from the remote nor the button in the glove box. Two push button 'dance' causes the tail lights to flash but not open the trunk.

I traced the wiring back to the harness that goes from the trunk into the body. At the sharpest pinch point the harness was damaged and one wire was cut. I opened and replaced ALL the wires in that harness, (more than one looked 'weak'). I replaced about 8 inches of wire. After that repair the car worked fine for two weeks. Today the problem returned.

I may have a bad wire or wires further up the harness but I'd like to prove the problem is there.

Along those lines, would anyone have a wiring diagram for the trunk lock and harness? Any help appreciated..

PT. Curiser - 2006, Touring, Turbo convertible.

There is a 90% chance that the truck lid of your PT convertible has a grounding problem. Many of them develop this and it's very easy to fix. Here's link where I fixed mine:

Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!

Old 27 Apr 2019, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

D'Oh! I missed the convertible part.

Dunno if it uses the same latch as mine or not; but I suspect it probably does as it's electric.

But at least you have hope of it being something else!

mnem
RTFM, Franken-Cruiser.