Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P T Gas mileage?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jul 2004, 08:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P T Gas mileage?????

Well I finally found a place to find use full info! Being new to this forum I'm sure this has been asked before........But I'll ask it for my sake and any newbies browsing here!
My gas mileage stinks. Is it normal for this car or is it just my vehicle. I'm driving an 02 Touring Edition....2.4 Automatic .
Best MPG I can get on the highway is 17!!!! Is that all there is???
Any suggestions!
Old 19 Jul 2004, 09:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

I'm a bit lazy, but I believe there is a TSB that reflashes PCM's for 2001 and 2002 PT's. Just hit a search looking for TSB's in regards of poor gas milage. I'm just at work atm and don't have time to dig through all the info atm.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 09:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

I got 27mpg Highway once coming back from WV. Another Time was mostly Highway with a bit of "city" driving and I got about 23mpg. I re-set the trip again and I'm going to see what I'm going to get with all-city driving...

But hey, it's alot better then my old car or that Dodge Van I was driving!!

Old 19 Jul 2004, 10:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

Welcome warewasher,
Try the search in right upper corner.Its been discussed frequently. I average around 20-21mpg.

Gonz
Old 19 Jul 2004, 11:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've read through the forums and seen many threads on this topic, your 17 mpg is well below the norm for freeway miles. I have an '01 and get 21-24 driving to and from work (mix of freeway and city driving) which I think is pretty sorry for a 4 cylinder, but it appears to be about normal for the PT. Sounds like you may have a problem, either the PCM issue mentioned by PTGT or maybe you have electrical trouble (plug wires, etc.) How many miles are on it?
Old 19 Jul 2004, 11:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PT-Tres

I've read through the forums and seen many threads on this topic, your 17 mpg is well below the norm for freeway miles. I have an '01 and get 21-24 driving to and from work (mix of freeway and city driving) which I think is pretty sorry for a 4 cylinder, but it appears to be about normal for the PT. Sounds like you may have a problem, either the PCM issue mentioned by PTGT or maybe you have electrical trouble (plug wires, etc.) How many miles are on it?
Old 19 Jul 2004, 11:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks.............so far I can't seem to access the things mentioned.......but I guess I have to learn the lingo and how to search!My 2002 I have had since last October.........had 21000 miles then.....I just turned to 32000. I had a company car till a few months ago so I never was concerned about my PT gas usage. Now I'm driving it every day and the bills are way to high!
Old 20 Jul 2004, 01:13 am
Cool Cruiser

Warewasher, all I can suggest is HONDA or TOYOTA or a MITSUBISHI if you want good MPG. It cought me by surprise too. Now I take the Explorer V8 on trips to save on gas!

Yours, Leadfoot Zooooom!!
Old 20 Jul 2004, 01:13 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Plugs and Wires are due for a change at 30k as well as the oil and filters (oil and air), so you might want to do those 1st. Then disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer back to baseline. Then take it on the highway for a nice weekend or a long one day trip and check your gas mileage.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 08:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forums.
I getting just under 25 (240 miles, 9.9 gals; 252 miles, 10.1 gals, etc.)
My tips -
Pump up the tires - I go 2-3 PSI above door-jamb sticker, and check them. (Just let some air out and try to coast - you can feel the resistance - pump the tires & do it again).
Synthetic oil - it has less friction.
I also have an AirAid intake so the fuel is getting all the air it needs.
At 32,000 miles, consider Champion platinum plugs and get Crane or Magnecore ignition wires - both last longer than stock - your plugs/wires may be robbing you. Also plan on getting tranny done - flush & replace filter & use ATF +4 or ATF + 5 - somehwere around 50,000 miles.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles