PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gimme five, I'm still alive!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2019, 11:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Gimme five, I'm still alive!

So, I've owned this 2006 Black 5-Speed base model since 600 miles. I was a new parent, had babies, car seats, etc and the vehicle served as it's purpose flawlessly. What a grocery getter, so versatile as diaper bags changed to softball gear. The car just evolved with my grow fam.

Now I got one off to college. These kids have cars of there own. The PT only has 134k on it and runs like a frickin champ. Sure I spent a few $$ here and there to keep it on the road, but nothing major. Same trans, engine, etc. Soooo, my turn!

Sure I wanted to drive right into Dodge and trade the PT for a midlife crisis Hellcat. But holy crap, not ready to spend that kind of money!! Reality check.

So one afternoon I pulled the backseats and was detailing the PT and thought "could I put a hot motor in this sucker? Replace the motor with a freshly rebuilt GT variant of the same year, or....maybe a crate SRT4 motor"

Had I been drinking too much cheap beer? I raised my kids in this car and it's kinda boring now. Hate to just send it to salvage or sell it for nothing just cause I'd like something a little more fun.

I'd be willing to spend moderate cash all over the car because, well it needs it. Upgardes to suspension, brakes, etc are to be expected. I just don't want to go nuts.

Ideas?
Old 28 Apr 2019, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gimme five, I'm still alive!

Well give us an idea of your budget $$$$$

Just be realistic about it...

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Apr 2019, 01:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Most users will just tell you to by a GT.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 28 Apr 2019, 01:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Cruiser View Post
So, I've owned this 2006 Black 5-Speed base model since 600 miles. I was a new parent, had babies, car seats, etc and the vehicle served as it's purpose flawlessly. What a grocery getter, so versatile as diaper bags changed to softball gear. The car just evolved with my grow fam.

Now I got one off to college. These kids have cars of there own. The PT only has 134k on it and runs like a frickin champ. Sure I spent a few $$ here and there to keep it on the road, but nothing major. Same trans, engine, etc. Soooo, my turn!

Sure I wanted to drive right into Dodge and trade the PT for a midlife crisis Hellcat. But holy crap, not ready to spend that kind of money!! Reality check.

So one afternoon I pulled the backseats and was detailing the PT and thought "could I put a hot motor in this sucker? Replace the motor with a freshly rebuilt GT variant of the same year, or....maybe a crate SRT4 motor"

Had I been drinking too much cheap beer? I raised my kids in this car and it's kinda boring now. Hate to just send it to salvage or sell it for nothing just cause I'd like something a little more fun.

I'd be willing to spend moderate cash all over the car because, well it needs it. Upgardes to suspension, brakes, etc are to be expected. I just don't want to go nuts.

Ideas?

Yep. Selling your current PT and buying a 2004 or 2005 GT is likely the best way to go. Right now, GT's aren't not worth much more than other PT's. I sold my 2001 PT Limited and bought a 2005 GT with less miles for only a little more than I got for the 2001 Limited. You can likely do the same. And with a 2004/2005 GT, upgrading the performance becomes simpler and less expensive to a point.

However, if you are considering spending the kind of money a crate engine would cost, I would highly recommend selling you PT and buying a Mopar Hemi muscle car. You will be starting out from a whole lot more horsepower and better fuel mileage. And from there, performance modifications are not that much more complicated than on a PT Cruiser and there are a lot more options.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Apr 2019 at 01:38 pm.
Old 28 Apr 2019, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Cruiser View Post

^^^^^^ This is important, and I respect the concept of a car you feel the connection with.

I realize you are not going to race it and upgrading the suspension and brakes is pretty much equally the same with a GT PT Cruiser as it is a NA PT Cruiser.

If you are not planning to go and race it except maybe the weekend cone chasing events then really an NA can be a fun ride.

I know like the average PT Cruiser owner I am not in boost every second I drive a Supercharged or Turbo Charged car.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 28 Apr 2019, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've been all over the map on budget. When the kids started moving on, I thought "trade it in on something new and sensible". After I got the hemi wishes out of my system, I was looking at a well trimmed Santa Fe for nearly $40k. Again, I backed off the new dealer lot.

Then my daughter came home with her 2011 Malibu and the timing chain and VVT system were toast. I opted for a Jasper stock swap which set me back around $6k. That crate wasn't a bad choice for her vehicle (so far), but it's a stock swap and is solely for her reliability---no performance upgrades. Unfortunately, it was $6k out of my PT budget.

Then I started looking for wrecked PT GTs on Copart, etc. Yes, there are some deals, but surely many are turds. This strategy scares me.

My car looks good and no one loves it but me. I'm willing to spend some, but let's just say I dont want to spend $40k like a new Santa Fe.

So I started looking at Jasper's catalog again. Maybe buy a remanned GT from Jasper? Or should I pull the current motor and send to a local machine shop for a hot tank, boring, decking, pistons, valves, etc?

I feel like I could do a lot of work to keep my original car and still pay way less than something new and sensible. Nothing sensible about $40k worth of Korean plastic.

Now converting my PT to rwd and adding some fat polyglas tires sounds pefectly sensible!
Old 28 Apr 2019, 04:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Obviously being a little silly about going full muscle car. I know I can't afford it and it defeats the purpose of keeping the car I raised my kids in when i, um, still had no money. I just have slightly less no money now.

So, a happy medium? I got a a price list for common rebuild chores and I can live with those machining costs.

But I do want some fun, and I do live in Western KY where hot summer nights can find fellers out at the local drag strip having fun and potentially causing divorces. Good times. I might be down for some light fun in my weight class every now and then.

But no, I am not looking to be totally stupid and try to stuff a $30k 426 hellephant under that tiny hood. But am I trying to moderately stupid? Heck yes, officer, heck yes. Moderately stupid is ok with me. The back seats are already out, I'm ready to make my own daily driver "Group B" sleeper.

What are some mildly crazy options? Is the rwd conversion just too much? What about other swaps, dare I say 2jz, k24, ls? Where does "moderate crazy" turn in to full "bat$#+ crazy"?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Apr 2019, 08:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Back in the day, you could get a Whipple supercharger for the NA PT Cruiser. That would give you some serious get up and go. There were also engine controllers and big cams for this engine before the days of the PT. Today you are going to be seriously limited because most remaining performance parts are for the SRT4 which is turbocharged. Most remaining options will be a lot of work and money for small gains. Of course, adding the Hemi and rear wheel drive would be cool if not very expensive to accomplish. It's been done though.

If you are very serious about keeping your existing PT Cruiser and powering it up somehow, consider buying a similar turbocharged PT and swapping the drive train and electronics into your car. This gives you a much better place to start from. Your only other good option for a big impact that's not going to be very expensive is NOS.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Apr 2019 at 08:14 pm.
Old 28 Apr 2019, 08:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

First off, love the fact that I've had anyone at all respond to me on the same day!

Here is a price list from my shop down the road. Seems fairly reasonable for most items, but what say you Cruiser community?

http://www.sumtechhosting.com/hosted...eList2016a.pdf
Old 29 Apr 2019, 03:19 am
Senior Cruiser

If your PT is running well, and the timing belt has been changed, it should make it to 200,000 miles. So why rebuild the engine for a small horsepower gain?

Your choices have already been stated. Find a complete 2006 or later GT and swap the engine, trans, axles, front and rear brake assys., computer, etc. into yours.

Or, my favorite, sell yours and buy a black[?] GT with a stick.
Handy_Cruiser and circus like this.