• 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 3 Post By TaupeCruiser
  • 1 Post By ptprice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 May 2019, 12:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator replacement, plus?

I need to replace the radiator, crack in plastic, on my 2003 PT Cruiser

Is this radiator worth getting? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Should I get replacement hoses while I am at it?

Should I replace anything else while I have the radiator out?
Old 11 May 2019, 03:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator replacement, plus?

TYC is a major brand. They don't make most of the their own parts, but you have to figure they have a name to protect. Plus, the Amazon reviews seem to be very good.

If me, I'd flush the cooling system really well before changing out the radiator. If my radiator fan was old, I'd seriously consider changing it too since that is the number two killer of PT Cruisers right behind broken timing belts that the owner cannot afford to fix.

As a matter of course, changing the hoses, radiator cap and thermostat are a good ideas as well. If the hoses were still in great condition, I'd still change the thermostat. It's very difficult to change on some cars. But it's very simple on a PT Cruiser once the radiator and fan are out of the way.
ptprice and chuzz like this.
Old 11 May 2019, 03:49 pm
Young Cruiser

I did almost exactly what Handy suggested minus the radiator cap and thermostat (I had done those earlier). I used that exact TYC radiator and a TYC fan. Iíve got 4 years on it now, but only 13k miles. So far no complaints.

2001 PT Cruiser | Touring Edition | 5 Speed Manual | Born On The 4th Of July, 2000
Old 11 May 2019, 07:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah and I just paid to have the water pump and timing belt replaced. That hurt!

Any recommendation on thermostat?

The fan has never been replaced and neither has the radiator.

This seems to be the rad fan from the same manufacturer as the rad.
https://www.amazon.com/TYC-620440-Ch...dp/B000IYR7R2/
Old 11 May 2019, 08:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFrazeur View Post
Yeah and I just paid to have the water pump and timing belt replaced. That hurt!

Any recommendation on thermostat?

The fan has never been replaced and neither has the radiator.

This seems to be the rad fan from the same manufacturer as the rad.
https://www.amazon.com/TYC-620440-Ch...dp/B000IYR7R2/
Along with imports and a few minor brands, there's actually two main American companies that make domestic car thermostats. These are Stant and Motorad. And both are sold under a number of different names. There's lots of threads where we all argue about which one is better. I'm in the Motorad camp. But Stant is okay too. I often get which either the closest parts store has unless I have time to order it online. In most of the national change parts stores, Stant is sold by name while Motorad will often be the under the house brand. But you can buy name brand Motorad online.
Old 12 May 2019, 08:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Radiator replacement, plus?

I just ordered a new rad for mine, waiting for it to come in. I got the cheapest one RockAuto has. The part number is the same for several brands so I am guessing they are all made in the same factory and have different labels on them... I ordered the Ultra-Power one for $47 and change.

Radiators

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 12 May 2019, 08:24 am
Dedicated Cruiser

SOOO BIG's radiator was replaced about a year and a half ago along with; new thermostat, pressure cap and hoses. This was done as a secondary effort. I know I paid more than $65 for it.
The primary work was replacing all four engine mounts, timing belt and relates sundries, timing belt cover, and all exterior belts.
The new radiator was supplied by AutoZone. The brand name is Spector Premium. Except for the cooling grid, it's plastic. It's serving as well as the original radiator.
The old radiator hadn't failed. It was discovered that, during the original Mexican production line assembly of SOOO BIG, one of the two lower radiator guide pins was broken off. We found the broken pin still lying on the cross member all those years later. I epoxied the broken pin back on and that original radiator ended up serving in another Forum member's PT.
Happy PTin', ptprice
smarq17 likes this.
Custom Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. Aluminum Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Touring tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 12 May 2019 at 09:16 am. Reason: qualifying