Functioning, But Not Very Cold A/C

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rcktpwrd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2019, 04:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Functioning, But Not Very Cold A/C

Title says it all.

My A/C does work, when it is under +- 85 degrees, it works fine. Anything above that and the car really struggles to keep the cabin cool. It takes 30-40 minutes of having the A/C on full blast to cool down to a temperature of around 75.

When I stop at a light, it blows warmer than when I'm moving

Now I know what you're thinking, the car is overheating. Wrong! I replaced the cooling fan last summer and when the A/C is blowing warm, I have a bluetooth scan tool with live engine temp readout, the engine idles at lights around 199, sometimes goes up to 202 but that's it.

I can hear the compressor and the cooling fan cycling on and off together as they should, as I said before, the engine is not overheating.

The car is 18 years old and has all original a/c components, does it just need a recharge?
Old 29 Jun 2019, 02:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Functioning, But Not Very Cold A/C

It is important to state the year of your car. The 2001 - 2005 cars are slightly different than the 2006 and up cars as to how the AC works. Mine is a 2006. When the car is cold and I start it up and turn on the AC with the fan on medium, the AC light comes on. Within 10 seconds the radiator fan turns on to high speed. Even though the coolant is cold, the AC condenser must have air flowing thru it in order to cool the Freon. The radiator fan in the AC mode is controlled by the Freon pressure.

This is where an AC guy can help. Does the amount of Freon in the system determine the pressure in the system?

I would start by having someone with knowledge and the proper gauges to check/fill the Freon.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 03:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Title says it all.

My A/C does work, when it is under +- 85 degrees, it works fine. Anything above that and the car really struggles to keep the cabin cool. It takes 30-40 minutes of having the A/C on full blast to cool down to a temperature of around 75.

When I stop at a light, it blows warmer than when I'm moving

Now I know what you're thinking, the car is overheating. Wrong! I replaced the cooling fan last summer and when the A/C is blowing warm, I have a bluetooth scan tool with live engine temp readout, the engine idles at lights around 199, sometimes goes up to 202 but that's it.

I can hear the compressor and the cooling fan cycling on and off together as they should, as I said before, the engine is not overheating.

The car is 18 years old and has all original a/c components, does it just need a recharge?
If you want to try some Freon yourself first, get one of those cans that has a gauge made on it. It will have very clear instructions to let you know if it needs Freon and when to quit adding it if it does. They work pretty well. I have one from a few years ago and it worked great and it's still about half full.

If no joy, you will need to have someone put some gauges on the cooling system to see what's going on. You may have a restriction somewhere in the system. The gauges will likely indicate this or one of a bunch of other reasons that your system it not cooling right.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Jun 2019 at 03:34 am.
Old 29 Jun 2019, 06:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Functioning, But Not Very Cold A/C

Not the cheapest option but the best bet is to have a shop vacuum down the system. This will check for leaks, see how much freon is in the system and then they can refill with the exact amount specified. They can also add leak detection dye and maybe some oil at the same time.

We just had two different vehicles done and it was about 125 bucks each... it's about half parts/materials and half labor.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 04 Jul 2019, 02:39 am
Young Cruiser

Maybe there's a clog in your AC system, preventing to push the freon properly.