• 2 Post By PTJoey
  • 2 Post By VsandFords
  • 2 Post By kirbo7106

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Jul 2019, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt Question

Hi,

My 2003 PT Cruiser has less than 63 k miles. It’s naturally aspirated with an automatic transmission. It runs great and has no obvious problems.

Would you change the timing belt because of the age?

Thanks,

Dan-O

2003 PT Cruiser “Woody” Limited 2.4 N/A, automatic transmission, bequeathed to me with 62,500 miles, rear splash guards, Mopar subwoofer, rear bumper guard
Old 04 Jul 2019, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt Question

I wouldn't change it right now unless I was needing to change the water pump or something else that made me do part of the job anyway at this time.

There is a very small risk of the timing belt degrading over time. So if your belt is the original and 16 years old, there is that small risk. But based on reports here over many years, it's extremely rare for these specific belts to fail due strictly to time. But it has happened. My thought is that there are other more likely failures than this, such at the camshaft sensor. So I would not change the belt just because it was the original.

Understand that driving any car that is 16 years old has risks of stranding you on the side of the road. That is reported here on this forum all the time. But relative to all of those, failure of the timing belt due strictly to age is likely very small. And being stranded is the primary risk if timing belt failure occurs. These engines are not the type that bend the valves when the timing belt fails. That's from the manufacturer. And the only reports of this happening have been from member told this by dubious repair shops that likely lied to increase the repair bill.

For me, I would wait until my PT reached around 90K before doing the timing belt job.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 04 Jul 2019 at 11:52 am.
Old 05 Jul 2019, 08:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbo7106 View Post
Hi,

My 2003 PT Cruiser has less than 63 k miles. It’s naturally aspirated with an automatic transmission. It runs great and has no obvious problems.

Would you change the timing belt because of the age?

Thanks,

Dan-O
Recently I was in a similar situation with my 2003 LE @ 43K miles. Then the water pump began leaking, so I also replaced the timing belt, 3 motor mounts, camshaft seal, and crankshaft seals. I sleep better now.
Old 05 Jul 2019, 10:58 am
Senior Cruiser

My 01 broke the belt 2 years ago at 110,000 miles going 70 mph. No damage other than on the side of the road time and a towing bill. I'm with Handy, wait until closer to 100,000 miles or other repairs needed, along the lines of including the belt.

I knew I was pushing the limit, not replacing the belt before 110,000 miles. I was just being a SLACKER!!! It caused me to get off of my ass and replace it the following weekend.
Handy_Cruiser and chuzz like this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 05 Jul 2019, 04:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Your probably OK but if your going on a long trip or something and anxious about a broken belt a thousand miles from home removing the cover and looking isn't too difficult.
Old 07 Jul 2019, 09:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

I just wanted to thank everyone for their reply. I’m going to hold out until 90,000 miles or the water pump (or something else) needs to be replaced.

2003 PT Cruiser “Woody” Limited 2.4 N/A, automatic transmission, bequeathed to me with 62,500 miles, rear splash guards, Mopar subwoofer, rear bumper guard