Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By RickinPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2019, 10:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default power Steering Weirdness

Replaced the PS pump in 2017.
No problem (besides the work involved).
Now.... cruising along with no issues. Suddenly, partial then complete loss of PS. Let the car sit, come back.... no problem.
No squeals, grumblings or warnings.
Engine RPM makes no difference.
The only thing I can note is that the steering feels a little more responsive (nimble) these days when it's working.
Checked for leaks, fluid level and froth.
All looks good.
Oh ya, 193K on the vehicle.
Any clues, experience or tips?
Thanks.
Old 23 Jul 2019, 07:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: power Steering Weirdness

Once, I lost my power steering boost on the way to work (during a somewhat spirited part of the drive). At lunch time, it was fine.

At the time, I had a clogged filter screen in the power steering reservoir. I theorized the clogged filter screen, somewhat cool & thick power steering fluid and high RPMs combined to restrict flow and collapse the rubber hose between the reservoir and the suction side of the power steering pump. Once the engine was stopped, the rubber hose popped open and everything was fine. Again, just a theory.

My symptom was whining during cold start (winter). The fix was to flush out the old, dirty power steering fluid and clean the brass screen in the power steering fluid reservoir. Haven't had a problem with it since.

I'd check the condition of the hose between the reservoir and the power steering pump (the larger hose on the power steering reservoir). Is it soft? When the power steering boost is lost, I'd stop the car but leave the engine running, and check the hose to see if it collapsed.
soonercruiser, Fk5 and chuzz like this.

Last edited by RickinPA; 23 Jul 2019 at 07:45 pm.
Old 24 Jul 2019, 02:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: power Steering Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
Once, I lost my power steering boost on the way to work (during a somewhat spirited part of the drive). At lunch time, it was fine.

At the time, I had a clogged filter screen in the power steering reservoir. I theorized the clogged filter screen, somewhat cool & thick power steering fluid and high RPMs combined to restrict flow and collapse the rubber hose between the reservoir and the suction side of the power steering pump. Once the engine was stopped, the rubber hose popped open and everything was fine. Again, just a theory.

My symptom was whining during cold start (winter). The fix was to flush out the old, dirty power steering fluid and clean the brass screen in the power steering fluid reservoir. Haven't had a problem with it since.

I'd check the condition of the hose between the reservoir and the power steering pump (the larger hose on the power steering reservoir). Is it soft? When the power steering boost is lost, I'd stop the car but leave the engine running, and check the hose to see if it collapsed.
EXACTLY!
That was part of my past problem!

When you replace the power steering pump, you should replace the reservoir also. Unless you are willing to do a LOT of extra work to clean it and the filter screen yourself! I simply bought the parts for my dealer to install.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!