• 2 Post By MrTzPT
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 3 Post By Grasshopper77

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jul 2019, 01:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Torque values using an extension

Howdy folks!!
I have read countless posts all over the place, not just here, discussing torque values when using an extension. I have read posts (and had numerous discussions) ranging from supposed "experts" to DIYers discussing this at length and I want to put it to rest once and for all. I was always under the impression that as long as you kept the extension straight by supporting the head of the torque wrench, the torque values would be identical to using just a socket. Well....I just came across a video that 100% proves my way of thinking. Hopefully this won't open up a can of worms because the proof is right here. Enjoy!!!
Carl48 and rcktpwrd like this.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Torque values using an extension

It would just seem to be common sense that using a "rigid" extension in a straight-line application would not affect torque values.

At some point, even with a little play left & right, the parts reach a point of moving as far as they can, and being metal on metal.

Now, It would also make common sense that applying forces on an angle, or using a flexible/angled joint would affect the torque greatly!

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 29 Jul 2019, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Based on the conservation of energy, using a socket extension on a click-style torque wrench should not matter. Here's why. No matter how much the socket extension twists, the head on the torque wrench will not reach the desired torque in order to click until the same is applied on the bolt head.

This is very different from a torque extension used on an impact wrench for tightening lug nuts. In that case, the amount of travel per blow of the impact wrench is very short. Thus the predetermined spring-loaded twist within the extension takes up that travel passed a specified torque. So no more torque is applied.
pt06 and chuzz like this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Jul 2019 at 09:45 pm.
Old 29 Jul 2019, 09:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

In the aviation world, no calculations are required for extensions. Regardless of how many you use, as long as they are in line. There however is min/max range (10% if I remember right) For example a 100 in lb torque wrench is only good up to 90 inch lbs.