fan no want to tur

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2019, 06:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: fan no want to tur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
It should be in the Power Distribution Center, under the hood, where the fan control relays are. It should be labeled.

I had some further thoughts on troubleshooting this type of problem.

The relays used are fairly standard. The covers can typically be removed. If you're familiar with relay operation a lot of troubleshooting could be done with the relay exposed. The contacts of the relay should be fairly clean, not burnt and blackened.

The armature (moving part) should have +12 volts on it with respect to ground (key on). This is the 12 volts coming from the 40 amp fuse. At this point, pressing the armature will close the relay and apply 12 volts to the fan, if the fan is good, it should start running. This is simply mechanically activating the relay. You could check that the +12 volts makes it through to the N.O. (normally open) contact to ensure the relay contacts are OK.

Going a little deeper, locating the connections for the coil and measuring the voltage across them will tell if the relay is being driven. (Careful around the coil connections, the coil wire is thin and could be easily broken.) Of course this depends on the conditions that will drive the relay. The A/C on usually drives the high speed fan. Power to the relay coil and no relay operation would be a bad relay.
I found it and can see from the top it doesn't look like toast, but trying to pull it out with pliers I broke it so now it IS toast. All in a days work! I will be installing the new one in a while and will find out if it fixes anything. First time I changed the fan on this it was overcooling which indicated thermostat issues which was confirmed by looking at the thermostat which was stuck in the open position with a broken leg. . I think that the overcooling led me to not overheat. This time I think I just need a new fan, period. Have parts, will start the install tomorrow morning if the 40 am fuse doesn't fix it.