• 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By jalve
  • 1 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By jalve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2019, 08:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Leaking fuel supply line

On my 2006 2.4 liter non-turbo PT, the quick connect fitting at the firewall is leaking again, even though I replaced the fuel supply line (5085555AC) just a year ago. I am wondering if the line should be fastened to the firewall somehow? The previous one wasn't, so I didn't fasten the new one, either. However, now that it has proven not to be a long-lasting fix, I am thinking it is not such a good idea to have all that twisting motion on the o-rings, as the engine rocks back and forth due to torque. What are your thoughts on this, wouldn't it be better to keep the quick connect fitting stationary? Would the plastic fuel supply line be flexible enough to deal with the engine motion?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 09:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Leaking fuel supply line

Here's my fix for the crispy fuel supply line on the turbo PT's. Some racing folks say it won't meet some track standards, but it's about one hundred times better than the factory hose and addresses the things you mentioned.

Handy's New Turbo Convertible PT Project!
soonercruiser likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Aug 2019 at 09:15 am.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 11:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the write-up. I have actually seen it before, and it made me think about going for a rubber hose, too, but there's one thing that makes me hesitate. What did you do about the "pulsator" or "fuel hammer arrestor" (it can't really be water hammer arrestor, can it?) that is part of the factory fuel line assembly? Did you just leave it out? If you did, have there been any adverse effects?
Old 27 Aug 2019, 11:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

On the turbo models, that dampener is not on the supply line like it is on the NA PT's. This problem with the crispy fuel supply line is often limited to the turbo models. I now see that you did state yours was not a turbo model.

Normally, these lines don't give much trouble on the NA PT's. You likely need to check your top and bottom torque struts and see if they need replacing, then be sure to adjust the engine pitch to 12 centimeters (approx 4.75 inches). With a new factory supply line, you should then get many years of use out of it. It should in fact last the lifetime of an NA PT if the torque struts are right.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 27 Aug 2019 at 11:56 am.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 12:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am pretty sure they could use replacing... I just thought I'd concentrate on the more critical stuff first!
Old 29 Aug 2019, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

I would still like to know if the factory fuel line on non-turbo 2006 PT is fastened somewhere somehow, or if it is only held in place by the quick connect fittings at each end, like on mine.
Old 29 Aug 2019, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalve View Post
I would still like to know if the factory fuel line on non-turbo 2006 PT is fastened somewhere somehow, or if it is only held in place by the quick connect fittings at each end, like on mine.
There should be a description in the service manual. If you don't have one, you can download it from my Google Drive here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9C...ew?usp=sharing

Here's some photos:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FuelSupply_01.jpg (68.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg FuelSupply_02.jpg (96.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg FuelSupply_03.jpg (75.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg FuelSupply_04.jpg (55.0 KB, 7 views)
jalve likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 29 Aug 2019 at 11:10 am.
Old 29 Aug 2019, 01:40 pm
Senior Cruiser

One thing to consider is that an attachment at the firewall will exacerbate any damage from the engine rocking back and forth. The purpose of flexible line is to allow for the motion of the engine in relation to the frame mounted tank. Regular hard-line is better for basically every other purpose. If you hard mount it at the firewall, then when the engine rocks it will exert pressure every time the engine twists.

I would check the engine mounts and redo the stock system. If I were going to do the Handy-mod, I would lean towards some flared hard line with a reasonable length of pressure/alcohol rated hose on each end.
Old 31 Aug 2019, 05:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for all the photos! I can see that the strange plastic clip that held a vacuum line T on my PT is actually meant to hold the fuel line. It probably dampens the vibrations from the engine a little bit and keeps some of them from reaching the quick connect fitting on the firewall, but probably not very much as the fuel line is free to move inside the protective sleeve.

Tags
fuel leak, fuel line