PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
EGR question

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2019, 10:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default EGR question

My 01 2.4L swallowed a valve, holed #4 piston and trashed a valve seat. I bought a donor engine, but the head is different. The original head has what I believe is an EGR valve on the back of the head on the exhaust head. There is a passage drilled from the outside where the valve attaches through to the #4 exhaust port.

The donor head has the bolt holes for the valve, but there was nothing attached there, and there is no passage. Can I get away with just drilling a passage the same size on the donor head?
Old 05 Sep 2019, 01:36 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: EGR question

If that donor engine is from a 2004 like mine, it did not use a EGR. As far as I know the 2004 was the only one that did not have a EGR.
Old 05 Sep 2019, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, make VERY sure that the crank sensor is in the same place as on your 2001 engine. Chrysler moved the location in 2003 along with the way it works. You cannot use a 2003 or newer engine in a 2001/2002 PT Cruiser without changing out most of the wiring harness and ECM. It's extremely hard to do.

I also believe that the heads are not interchangeable from the 2001/2002 engines to the later ones. Make dead sure that the crank sensor is in the correct location on the back side of the engine on the passenger side.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Sep 2019 at 02:47 pm.
Old 08 Sep 2019, 03:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you, Handy Cruiser, that's valuable. I'm pretty sure the cam sensor is in the same place, but I'll make sure.
Old 08 Sep 2019, 04:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bythepond88 View Post
Thank you, Handy Cruiser, that's valuable. I'm pretty sure the cam sensor is in the same place, but I'll make sure.
Not the camshaft sensor. It's the crankshaft sensor that's in a different location on the 2003 and new engines.

The real issue is that when the location was changed from the firewall passenger side to the drivers side near the starter, the sensor ring on the crankshaft was changed with more teeth. This means that the signal going back the ECM is all different.
Old 08 Sep 2019, 05:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The cam sensor is in the same position on both heads, and both cam sensors look the same. So do you think I can get away with just drilling a new passage for the EGR?

Last edited by Bythepond88; 08 Sep 2019 at 08:50 pm.
Old 08 Sep 2019, 08:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, Handy Cruiser, I wasn't clear in my original post. There's no damage to the cylinder, so I'm only trying to swap in the head from the donor engine, not the entire engine (from what I've read, the engine on these darlings can only be removed from underneath, so a complete swap isn't an option for me). So would the crank sensor still be an issue, given that I'm keeping the original block?

Last edited by Bythepond88; 08 Sep 2019 at 08:59 pm.
Old 08 Sep 2019, 09:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not so sure that a 2003 and newer PT head will work on a 2001/2002 PT block. It seems like I read a post by a forum member named UpTownSport that said there is a difference in the shape of the block at the deck. But I'm not sure if he said the difference happened in the late 1990's with earlier 2.4 heads or during the 2002-2003 revision during the PT era.

Many interchange books say these head are not compatible but that may just be because of the EGR delete in 2003. The difference I am talking about is more substantial that this. You may be able to reach UpTownSport at this link:

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...=newpm&u=22887

He doesn't come here anymore but he should get an email notification if you PM him. He's an expert on these 4 cylinder Mopar heads and can tell you about compatibility and he can likely tell you if you can drill out the EGR port without problems.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Sep 2019 at 09:31 pm.
Old 09 Sep 2019, 09:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you, Handy Cruiser. I will reach out to him through a PM, and will post back here if he responds.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 09 Sep 2019, 02:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

In the meantime, I did a Google search for cylinder head interchange information, and found this:

Cylinder head interchange

So it looks like the short answer to my question is yes, I can just drill a passage for the EGR, provided the head itself matches the block.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.