PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 PT starts then stalls immediately

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2019, 01:47 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 02 PT starts then stalls immediately

I look at the PCV valve and its hose every time I open the hood, thanks. It wasn't the problem.

I am also familiar with how a vacuum gauge works, how to read it, and what different needle behaviors mean. My only question was if fuel injected motors had different acceptable vacuum levels than carbureted motors since most of my experience has been on carbureted engines.

In any event, all that is moot becaue I found and fixed the problem. It turns out the EGR tube was not fully secured at the EGR end. Those two 8mm bolts were snug but not tight. After disassembling the entire intake tract again and inspecting it all, and after crawling underneath the car to inspect and trace vacuum lines form below, it finally dawned on me that the EGR tube was very easy to move around when disconnected form the intake and this meant that it was not tight at the EGR. This was the only vacuum related fitting that I had not inspected at least three times and it turns out it was the problem.

Vacuum is now a solid and steady 15 inches of mercury at idle, idle has settled down to around 900, and the engine idles smooth. Power is back up and the brakes are back to working good. Ideally I would like to see about 20 inches of vacuum, but this is a 220,000 mile car that sat for a year in a field and that has a 180,000 mile engine swapped in. I will take the 15 inches and good running engine and be happy.

So, thank you for the helpful suggestions and pointers. I think this issue is solved. Now on to fixing the multitude of little things that happen when you leave a car to sit outside in a field for a year. I replaced the heater blower motor today and cleaned out the mouse nest that was blocking it. Onwards and upwards.

Last edited by glibbis; 12 Nov 2019 at 06:27 pm.
Old 11 Nov 2019, 03:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

you can't blame me for asking if you knew the in and outs of a gauge- but i'll still apologize. even the best of us can forget a few things here and there... the only reason I responded in the first place was because you did a swap for family in the first place and that meant (to me) you were worth the time to shoot you hints, albiet about sensors most posts these days are from backyard mechanics charging a old couple 1000$ to do a oil change and looking for a crutch for their general ineptitude- which bugs me that most "ase certified" mechanics here do not pick up on...

kudos on scoring a decent second hand engine- now sell that pt quickly and get her a honda or something... but- since you have wrenched on pt's, you probably know that....
Old 12 Nov 2019, 12:52 am
Young Cruiser

Nah, I think the PT is here to stay for a little while. My brother ended up replacing the coil, plug wires, and plugs because it started running badly and stalling. Now it runs like a top again.

I fully understand not having the experience or knowledge of someone asking questions in an online car forum. I have been answering people's car questions for almost 20 years online. You never know if you are talking to an engineer or a complete newbie.

Last thing to fix is the AC. The system is completely discharged, so now I need to see if it will hold a vacuum and then charge it up. Since the car sat for a year it is possible the R-134 just leaked past the seals. That would be best case scenario. At least the compressor isn't siezed.
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by glibbis; 12 Nov 2019 at 12:06 pm.
Old 12 Nov 2019, 03:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glibbis View Post

I found and fixed the problem. It turns out the EGR tube was not fully secured at the EGR end. Those two 8mm bolts were snug but not tight.
Wonder if these bolts are prone to working loose. Maybe this is the root-cause to the many posts of folks trying to resolve a rough idle issue? I never did resolve mine, but i will have to check these out the next time I visit my niece, who now owns the car. Thanks for coming back and sharing!
Old 12 Nov 2019, 04:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
Wonder if these bolts are prone to working loose. Maybe this is the root-cause to the many posts of folks trying to resolve a rough idle issue? I never did resolve mine, but i will have to check these out the next time I visit my niece, who now owns the car. Thanks for coming back and sharing!
It could be. It looks like the gaskets for the EGR tube unions can still be found cheap at Autozone, but I didn't need to replace mine. The 8mm bolts down on the EGR valve are a pain to get to, which is why I (and, I am sure, others) forget about them or just don't think about them. This EGR design is very annoying and I am not surprised Chrysler abandoned it by 2004. Forget about a ratchet, just get an 8mm box end wrench (preferably a six point, not a 12).

My brother has been driving this PT for the last few days and he says the idle is smooth and it has plenty of power. Hooray for another PT saved from a fate of rusting away in a field or getting crushed.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 12:04 pm
Young Cruiser

The negative fuel trims mean that the computer/o2 sensors are saying the car is running rich and is taking fuel away to lean the mixture out. It seems you have a scanner so you should take a look at both o2 sensor outputs as well as you map and tps sensors. I think they are the sensors that you can connect reversed and the car will still run. The map should read atmosphere and the tps should read a low voltage when the car is not running.
Old 13 Nov 2019, 02:20 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbrains View Post
The negative fuel trims mean that the computer/o2 sensors are saying the car is running rich and is taking fuel away to lean the mixture out. It seems you have a scanner so you should take a look at both o2 sensor outputs as well as you map and tps sensors. I think they are the sensors that you can connect reversed and the car will still run. The map should read atmosphere and the tps should read a low voltage when the car is not running.
Well, the car is at my brother's house now and he lives 40 miles away. Then next time I have access to it I will check the outputs again. What I do know is there was a vacuum leak that was fixed and the coil was failing when I took the prior negative fuel trim readings. My brother now reports the car runs and drives perfectly, so I highly doubt anything is hooked up backwards. Again, I will check and verify the readings the next time I am able.
chuzz likes this.