Advertisements
Possible defective Radiator Fan Relays

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Dec 2019, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Possible defective Radiator Fan Relays

2007 PT Cruiser - Limited - 110k

A couple of days ago I got in my car to go to work and my battery was completely dead. My housemate gave me a jump and I drove over to Firestone. They were kind enough to replace my battery at no charge but said that my radiator fan was running constantly. That is quite likely what drained my battery. Unfortunately they don't work on those. When I get to where I am going I pulled the fuse which stops the fan from running. I just put it back in when I drive, etc. I might add that the fan has since stopped running when I turn my car off. But I don't trust it not to act up again so I pull the fuse.

I did the "key dance" and it came back "done"...no error codes. I did some research and found that it could be a bad radiator fan relay. So I ordered two from AutoZone which should be in in a few days.

I'm interested in any thoughts from other PT'ers. Thanks
Old 04 Dec 2019, 01:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Smile Re: Possible defective Radiator Fan Relays

Perhaps the low battery was the original cause of the fan relay running the fans when it shouldn't? They replaced your battery at no charge because it was showing defective??

Over the last six years I have found that low battery voltage (old batteries, in my case!) have produced numerous spurious codes and strange behaviors from the ECU.

A brand new battery always cleared up all the glitchiness, in my case ...
Old 04 Dec 2019, 03:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Possible defective Radiator Fan Relays

I had had that battery less than a year...purchased Jan 2019 to be exact. Even when the battery was replaced the fan continued to run. It seems to be an intermittent problem as later in the day after I stopped and shut off the car the fan was no longer running.

Last edited by CherylM; 05 Dec 2019 at 02:38 pm.
Old 05 Dec 2019, 02:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Make sure your defroster is not on. When the defroster is on, the A/C system is running and it turns the fans on automatically to keep the compressor cool. but that's only when the ignition is turned on. If the fan is running when the ignition is off and the key is out, then there is a problem. If the fan is not running then something else may be draining the battery. If you have the OEM fan, the relays are on the passenger side of the fan housing right on top and are very easy to remove and swap. However, most replacement fans have sealed relays that are not easy to remove.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 05 Dec 2019 at 02:55 pm.
Old 05 Dec 2019, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The defroster is not on....and the fan was continuing to run when the engine was shut off and the key out of the ignition.

I received my replacement relays today. Note to self - hold on to your pliers real good. They slipped out of my hand and I spent the better part of 45 mins fishing them back out from near the fan So by the time I got ready to work on the relays again the sun was starting to go down. They aren't that hard to get to but I'm having a time trying to wiggle the old ones out. I'll try again tomorrow
Old 05 Dec 2019, 04:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If the problem comes up again check to make sure your fan relay wires are not touching ground from the fan relay to the component it is going to possibly the TIPM.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 05 Dec 2019 at 05:28 pm.
Old 05 Dec 2019, 08:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Relay contacts can stick or "weld" together. The contact may have stuck and then popped free. For peace of mind, do what you did, replace the relay and throw the old one out.
Old 06 Dec 2019, 01:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
Relay contacts can stick or "weld" together. The contact may have stuck and then popped free. For peace of mind, do what you did, replace the relay and throw the old one out.
Replace one relay at a time. Keep the old one for a week to verify it is bad. You never know if the new fan relay is also bad.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 07 Dec 2019, 07:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've had success by taking the relays apart and cleaning the contacts in them. But I'm a cheap bastard.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 03:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

I finally got the relays replaced, and of course put the fuse back in all the time. So far no further problems ! Fingers crossed that it does the job !