LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Dec 2019, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question [Solved] Moody low-beam bulbs

2/21/2020 Update: See #9
2/16/2020 Update: See #8

--

Original Post:

Howdy folks! I can't believe it has been almost 8 years since I joined the forum.

I have been battling with this odd problem for quite a while. After starting the car, if I turn on headlight/low-beam, only parking lights work, not low-beam lights. However if I switch to high beam, both low-beam and high-beam bulbs are turned on. And if I let my car idle or drive with high-beam mode on for around 2 or 3 min, I could switch back to a functional low-beam mode and all lights just works magically, until I restart the car.

What could cause this problem? Some relays going bad?

Additionally, two years ago I had some well-reported headlight issues caused by the multifunction switch and fog lights. I replaced the multifunction switch, pulled the #8 fuse and never used fog lights again. Could this be a faulty multifunction switch again?

Last edited by MuttoLongus; 21 Feb 2020 at 07:29 pm.
Old 12 Dec 2019, 01:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Moody low-beam bulbs

guessing you have an 04' GT that avg's 12mpg?

does this happen when it's 70 outside, or only now that the temperature is colder outside?

if you let the car idle and warm up and then try the lights do they work without using the brights first?

don't overlook the ground wires and pesky C3 connector under the dash.

Last edited by rob302; 12 Dec 2019 at 01:38 pm.
Old 12 Dec 2019, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: Moody low-beam bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post

does this happen when it's 70 outside, or only now that the temperature is colder outside?

if you let the car idle and warm up and then try the lights do they work without using the brights first?

That's me indeed. I knew very little about cars back then. My mpg got so much better when I moved to the suburbs lol, with some tuning over the years. The lighting problem first appeared back in September so I think the temperature has little to do with it. The low beam bulb doesn't shine no matter how far I drive, unless I turn on the high beam lights and let the low beam ones "charge" or "buffer". I will look for the C3 connector this weekend.
Old 08 Feb 2020, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

After some research and having 04 GT examined by a mechanic, I suspect that the ECM needs to be replaced. The car cranked but failed to start twice in January which fits the symptom of a bad ECM, considering that my spark plugs and wires were relatively new.
Old 09 Feb 2020, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Contact fellow member myckee here. He does some good stuff with the ECM's. And he won't rip you off.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Last edited by chuzz; 09 Feb 2020 at 07:28 am.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 12:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttoLongus View Post
After some research and having 04 GT examined by a mechanic, I suspect that the ECM needs to be replaced. The car cranked but failed to start twice in January which fits the symptom of a bad ECM, considering that my spark plugs and wires were relatively new.
There are a whole bunch of reasons a car could crank but fail to start that I would examine before I replaced my ECM. Does it run now? Any codes?
Old 16 Feb 2020, 11:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Re: Moody low-beam bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
There are a whole bunch of reasons a car could crank but fail to start that I would examine before I replaced my ECM. Does it run now? Any codes?
No codes at all for the headlight or the rare crank-but-no-start problem. The car runs fine just with delayed low-beam headlights as described in my initial post.
Old 16 Feb 2020, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Moody low-beam bulbs

Update: Replaced my PCM with a pre-programmed, used one from eBay. It did not solve the headlight issue and even worse: the engine cranked but could not start. Switched back to my old PCM and the engine runs just fine. Still no low-beam light until running high-beam for a while.
Old 21 Feb 2020, 07:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob302 View Post

Headlight problem solved! I removed the multi-function switch from the steering wheel and found the left (light control) pin connector cracked a bit, possibly caused by heat, so the connection was loose. Added some electrical tape to shim and firmly replugged the connector back and the headlight just worked like a charm.

Never thought it was just a loose connection issue all the time. The "buffering phenomenon" really puzzled me. Now I am happy but also feel like a dumbass.
LionPT and chuzz like this.