Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Yet Another Dead One (05 Vert GT)

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2019, 06:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Yet Another Dead One (05 Vert GT)

Sitting at a stoplight, it just shut down and got pushed into a gas station for triple A to come pick it up

Found P0016 and P0340 for codes. Yanked both sensors off a known working PT gracing the backyard with suspension issues, And dropped them on. P0016 vanishes, P0340 is still hanging around

Battery reported some issues with a tester I have, but still has high enough voltage to crank it over (did for the backyard one and moved around) so that is idled for future reference.

Apparently one pin on the connector end is supposed to be 10 volts, ground and 5 volts.

10 is 5 volts instead of what it should be. Any idea? Have seen ECM as a failure, but no codes are getting thrown related to it. Can connect obd-II readers without a issue. Followed some guides with others around here who had ecm issues, none of the symptoms are really gelling.

So what is this mystery 5 volts when it seems to call for 10?

If it is the ECM, priced those through rock auto or other sources (like carcomputerexchange) and the prices are making me gag. And it's a common enough issue? Might be time to send it packing to the junkyard nearby where it can keep 40 of it's brothers warm...

Anyone have advice? all connections have checked out. Even looked for burned/rubbed wiring, oily connections and more. No dice. It's all intact and clean.

If it's the ECM, i'd rather get buckets of them from the junkyard and just kept swapping them as they croak. Certainly cheaper. However it seems the dealership has to program it with the vin (and maybe the mileage?) so how do you go about not having the dealership whine about the part? And if they are junk frankly, seems paying a dealer every 50 feet as they die would get expensive quickly if the donor units are just as problem fraught.

Anyone have success with grey market code programmers that can flash the ecm module?

Thanks for any help that can be offered. Still haven't figured out why these are such a pain to work on.

2005 PT Cruiser GT HO Turbo, Automatic 2.4
120kish or so mileage
All Sensors are OEM. Got stung by parts store garbage on a ford, so have only bought oem or known oem suppliers ever since

Checked the timing belt, no issues. Was replaced 20k? miles ago First thing I went for since a 02 ate one

Last edited by mohavewolfpup; 15 Dec 2019 at 07:16 am. Reason: spelling
Old 15 Dec 2019, 07:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Yet Another Dead One (05 Vert GT)

Sorry that I can't help you out, but we have a member here named Mcykee that rebuilds the ECM's. Get with him via a PM and he will probably be able to help you out, IF that's the problem. Several other members here know a ton about these vehicles and will probably chime in before long. Hang loose.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 15 Dec 2019, 09:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you chuzz. I'll keep that in mind if signs point to that. Yesh, the code readers are expensive to purchase out there and appear to be missing needed modules. Ahh, the usual scams with folks lately.

Too bad they aren't made grey market in china like GM Tech II's. I'd be harvesting every last ecm at the junkyard and flashing already just to eliminate that as a variable
Old 15 Dec 2019, 01:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hey, actually I don't rebuild them, I source out good cores, erase them and reprogram them for the customer's car. I am not even convinced the other seller actually do rebuild them due to the time one needs to invest in doing so.

Anyway, I am not convinced it is your PCM at this point. It could very well be, but I think you should first make sure your battery is fully charged and good. As well, I would go over the wiring again to look for any breaks or shorts. I would also recommend removing the airbox to get at the main ground stud inside the driver fender. Remove and clean those eyelets and make sure they are good. Others have actually snipped them off and soldered new ones on to be sure of perfect connections.

Failing all of that, if you want to try a replacement ECM, I am happy to sell you one to try. If it doesn't solve your problem, you may send it back for a refund. You would only be responsible for the back and forth shipping.

Best of luck with your car and Happy Holidays,
Mike
Old 15 Dec 2019, 06:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The offer from myckee is a good one. I can do the same thing but we charge for the service of wiping and reinstalling the VIN matched and updated ECM,ECU,PCM operating information for health checked usable core vehicle computers.

I am also not connived by what you have posted so far that have a failing PCM?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Dec 2019, 10:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
The offer from myckee is a good one. I can do the same thing but we charge for the service of wiping and reinstalling the VIN matched and updated ECM,ECU,PCM operating information for health checked usable core vehicle computers.

I am also not connived by what you have posted so far that have a failing PCM?

It's something my father is running with. Going to look at the battery cables and see if that is the cause.

Just has me stumped as everything appears to be normal looking. The previous owner did take it to a dealer and they replaced the ECM. (2012 or so?)

Had a 67 dodge d200 (pickup) with a voltage regulator on the firewall. It would drain the battery flat dead then refuse to start. Turned out to be the ground wire on that needed a light sanding to remove corrosion and then it never did that again.

Maybe that's a similar issue here?
Old 20 Dec 2019, 01:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Update:

Here's what a "Good Timing Belt" apparently looks like. This is what greated my father when he pulled the inspection cover off it again. He tried starting it a few times and same issue.

Sensors got swapped between two pt cruisers here and the issue didn't follow, so it was time for him to dig in again and look.

Thanks to all that helped, and here's the conclusion with a side of comedy. As he declared the timing belt perfect the first time, that egg is on his face. Hah
ptcruisersteve and chuzz like this.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 04:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This is why it's important to do a diagnostic procedure before doing anything as NitroPt aways posted. Always read what he posted. You will learn a lot from him like I did.
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 20 Dec 2019 at 04:18 am.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 08:12 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You might want to share that egg, man. You clearly stated in your first post that you had checked the timing belt.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 22 Dec 2019, 11:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My check consisted of getting most of the cover off except the back portion (screw remained attached) and looking through it to see if it had snapped off like the 02 did. Didn't notice anything, and used a straight blade screwdriver to poke if it was still on it tight and not horribly stretched out.

For me it was just basics. He checked it three days later and declared it good by removing more then I did then ran with the sensor failure as the primary reason. Then the above image came in.

The above I did was a 2230 "why did it die at the stoplight?" basic check for something obvious (snapped belt)

edit: also typed out as "I" did it to save keystrokes and from confusion switching back and forth between who checked it. Muddies the issues switching back and forth between who did what and really doesn't matter in the story

Last edited by mohavewolfpup; 22 Dec 2019 at 11:41 pm.