PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'08 rescue attempt.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Dec 2019, 10:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Default '08 rescue attempt.

Hi everyone, long time no see! My original PT Cruiser has been mostly trouble free so I decided to add some turmoil to my life.

I purchased a 2008 Sunset Boulevard edition from Copart. Fenders and hood dinged up, but no air bag deployed. 100 k miles, 5 speed. Very nice looking car other than the accident. But... it will not start.

Read everything I could looking for an inertia switch. Some sources say yes, some no. Supposedly on the rear inner fender but no joy.

No spark and no power to the fuel injectors. So I traced that back to the Auto Shut Down relay. The ASD controls the power to the fuses for the IGN and Inj. When the computer gets information from the crank and cam sensor it turns on the power to those fuses. But not mine.

I finally got what's left of the radiator out so I could get a good look. All sensors look fine, no obvious damage. Start doing wiggle test and voila as soon as I grab onto the crank sensor I could hear the ASD relay power up. Cool, I win.

I threw a new crank sensor in and excitedly hit the key...no joy. So I pull the crank sensor out of the block and wave it over a piece of metal and sure as heck I could hear the ASD fire up. Power to all fuses but for only about 5 seconds, then dead again.

So that's where I'm currently at. I can fake out the ASD for a brief moment but that's it. I have not tested the cam sensor yet, seems unlikely the wreck would cause it harm but maybe. I also switched the relays around , no change. No codes but the battery was dead for quite awhile. Fuel at the injectors.

So after that long story does anyone have any other areas to look in.

Thanks, JM
rockandroller likes this.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 08:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '08 rescue attempt.

Not really being a mechanic, you can take what I say with a grain of salt. BUT since you seem to be able to trigger something by messing with the crank sensor, I'd stay in that area. Check the wires on the plug connection and the plug itself. It could be cracked or maybe a bare wire causing it to go to ground. I don't know exactly what triggers the connection between the crankshaft and the crank sensor, but suspect that it's magnetic. Maybe that connection got cracked on the impact? IDK if that's something that can be replaced or not. Anyone else know or support my theory?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 01:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks chuzz, I was on the same track as you. I thought the crank sensor might be cracked so I threw in a new one. No change.

The sensor has a permanent magnet in it. When the reluctor wheel on the crank moves past the sensor that movement causes a change in the magnetic field. That affects the transistor (that is housed in the sensor) and that change in signal is sent to the computer. That is how I understand it anyhow!

With the new sensor I can still fool the ASD for a moment, but that is it.
j
Old 16 Dec 2019, 04:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPT View Post
Thanks chuzz, I was on the same track as you. I thought the crank sensor might be cracked so I threw in a new one. No change.

The sensor has a permanent magnet in it. When the reluctor wheel on the crank moves past the sensor that movement causes a change in the magnetic field. That affects the transistor (that is housed in the sensor) and that change in signal is sent to the computer. That is how I understand it anyhow!

With the new sensor I can still fool the ASD for a moment, but that is it.
j
So, the crank sensor is different than the cam sensor? I am pretty sure that the magnet for the cam sensor is in the head and that tightening with too much torque can crack it. I would have expected the crank sensor to be similar, but I never had mine out. <knock wood>

Last edited by Fk5; 16 Dec 2019 at 05:21 pm.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 05:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes they are 2 different shapes. It appears that my ASD is working as it should. Engine needs to be rotating for it to operate in the energized state.

Testing with a good scanner. I will report back later. j
Old 16 Dec 2019, 09:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
So, the crank sensor is different than the cam sensor? I am pretty sure that the magnet for the cam sensor is in the head and that tightening with too much torque can crack it. I would have expected the crank sensor to be similar, but I never had mine out. <knock wood>
The crank sensor is just above the starter.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 17 Dec 2019, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Not a question of location for JohnPT, Lion, just how it operates. Well, maybe not for him, but definitely for me. I'm old school and actually miss the days of carburetors, distributors and timing lights!

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 Dec 2019, 02:21 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: ' 08 rescue attempt.

Well I reset the codes so I could generate current list. P0038, P0522, P1274
just to name a few. Most seem to be coming from the same wire bundle. My enthusiasm is waning. Possible that wires got broken during the accident. I hate to but it might be time to strip this one out. j
Old 17 Dec 2019, 04:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
The crank sensor is just above the starter.
I knew they were different. I didn't think they would be different type of sensors with the magnet maintained differently. Thought they were both generic Hall effect.
Old 18 Dec 2019, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you are getting a lot of codes how are you resetting the codes?