PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 Warranty Replacement Engine

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jan 2020, 07:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 2006 Warranty Replacement Engine

A seller in Iowa has an 11k mile engine from a 2006 PT. Says dealer replaced under warranty due to potential oil leak problems. Claims this engine never leaked.

Is there an easy way to tell if this is of is not one of the suspect engines? And if it is, what can be done to fix?

Bob in Liberty
Old 02 Jan 2020, 08:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 Warranty Replacement Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSnyder View Post
A seller in Iowa has an 11k mile engine from a 2006 PT. Says dealer replaced under warranty due to potential oil leak problems. Claims this engine never leaked.

Is there an easy way to tell if this is of is not one of the suspect engines? And if it is, what can be done to fix?

Bob in Liberty
Does it run or can you get it to run before buying it?
Old 02 Jan 2020, 11:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

It's in the replacement's crate. Probably been there since swap. I'd assume sometime in 2007.
Old 02 Jan 2020, 11:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
It's in the replacement's crate. Probably been there since swap. I'd assume sometime in 2007.
If I was a gambling man I would not bet on it. Too many hours putting it and back out.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 02 Jan 2020 at 11:54 pm.
Old 05 Jan 2020, 08:35 am
Regular Cruiser

Perhaps I asked the wrong question...

What exactly was the problem with the 2006 engines as to have Chrysler replace them?

Thanks in advance.

Bob in Liberty
Old 05 Jan 2020, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

What exactly was the problem with the 2006 engines as to have Chrysler replace them?

Thanks in advance.
5th
Bob in Liberty
Depends on when the engine was put in the Pt Cruiser.
Old 05 Jan 2020, 12:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Bob in Liberty
Hi Bob, I remember reading about this a few years back, but I forget exactly what the issue was. Something about the crank. I think there was an issue with the thrust bearing which allowed the crank to move and maybe cause a seal to leak? I can't remember. If you message Handy_Cruiser he is a wealth of knowledge and know-how and will be able to tell you exactly.
Old 05 Jan 2020, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Hi Bob, I remember reading about this a few years back, but I forget exactly what the issue was. Something about the crank. I think there was an issue with the thrust bearing which allowed the crank to move and maybe cause a seal to leak? I can't remember. If you message Handy_Cruiser he is a wealth of knowledge and know-how and will be able to tell you exactly.
That is true but we still need to verify when the month and year of the Pt Cruiser before we can verify anything about the engine unless some other member might know.
Old 05 Jan 2020, 01:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The engines with the half thrust washer were put in non-turbo automatic tranny models spanning from sometime in 2005 through sometime in 2007 (mostly 2006). It's going to be VIN number specific because the range of time is vague and these half-thrust washer engines were only put in some PT Cruisers during the time period given.

If the engine in question was truly replaced under warranty due to potential oil leak problems, this is almost assuredly the reason. The leak happens because the crank can move until the seat pushes out through the seal. You will not want this engine unless the half thrust washer can be replace with a full one. I don't know if that is possible or not. And even the dealer will likely not know since engine replacement was the official fix for this issue.

myckee likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 05 Jan 2020 at 01:31 pm.
Old 05 Jan 2020, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
The engines with the half thrust washer were put in non-turbo automatic tranny models spanning from sometime in 2005 through sometime in 2007 (mostly 2006). It's going to be VIN number specific because the range of time is vague and these half-thrust washer engines were only put in some PT Cruisers during the time period given.

If the engine in question was truly replaced under warranty due to potential oil leak problems, this is almost assuredly the reason. The leak happens because the crank can move until the seat pushes out through the seal. You will not want this engine unless the half thrust washer can be replace with a full one. I don't know if that is possible or not. And even the dealer will likely not know since engine replacement was the official fix for this issue.

I don't agree.