Advertisements
Wipers wont switch off.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By RickinPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jan 2020, 06:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wipers wont switch off.

Hi i'm in Australia ,I have a 2006 limited and the front sceen wipers wont switch off, all the functions work that is speed ,int.washers etc. but the wipers come on as soon as the ignition is turned on and only switch off when the ignition is turned off. what could the problem be,as is there a fuse I can pull to stop them until the weekend till I can have a propper look ??

Dash.
TIA
Old 20 Jan 2020, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wipers wont switch off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashinson View Post
Hi i'm in Australia ,I have a 2006 limited and the front sceen wipers wont switch off, all the functions work that is speed ,int.washers etc. but the wipers come on as soon as the ignition is turned on and only switch off when the ignition is turned off. what could the problem be,as is there a fuse I can pull to stop them until the weekend till I can have a propper look ??

Dash.
TIA
If your Pt Cruiser has the TIPM there is no fuse.

Recommend you get the Factory Manual for your specific year Pt Cruiser so you can diagnose your issue on all the possibilities that can cause the issue before replacing any components.
Old 20 Jan 2020, 08:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'm just making the obvious guess...the MFS (Multi Function Switch) is 2 parts on the G2's 2006-2010...the wiper side (right side in the US) is bad.
I had my rear wiper stop working about 2 years ago, wasn't really worried about it, than in Oct. I noticed a slight front wiper issue...so I went ahead & replaced it.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 06 Feb 2020, 10:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Still no joy ,Chrysler Australia doesn't carry parts for this model anymore they refered my to an Auto Wrecker.I've removed the wiper muliswitch to use as a sample only to find the wiper still came on without it ,and it seem to be stuck in intermitant/pulse mode even with the multifunction switch removed that is it'll come on for several wipes turn off for a few seconds and then swipe again etc. my question is ,is there a pulse/intermitant wiper module between the switch and the wiper motor ond could this be constantly on?

Dash.
Old 07 Feb 2020, 06:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Checking the factory manual is a good suggestion. I just looked in mine, there's an extensive section on wiper troubleshooting.

One thing with wipers is that there is a "park circuit". When you shut off the wipers, a park circuit is energized. This applies power to the wiper motor parking circuit. The motor continues to run to put the wipers in the park position. When the wipers reach the parking position, a switch in the wiper motor opens and shuts off the wiper motor. Sometimes the switch in the wiper motors gives problems. If the switch fails closed, I believe the wipers will continue to run. If the switch fails open, the wipers will not park.
Old 07 Feb 2020, 10:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickinPA View Post
Checking the factory manual is a good suggestion. I just looked in mine, there's an extensive section on wiper troubleshooting.

One thing with wipers is that there is a "park circuit". When you shut off the wipers, a park circuit is energized. This applies power to the wiper motor parking circuit. The motor continues to run to put the wipers in the park position. When the wipers reach the parking position, a switch in the wiper motor opens and shuts off the wiper motor. Sometimes the switch in the wiper motors gives problems. If the switch fails closed, I believe the wipers will continue to run. If the switch fails open, the wipers will not park.
Recently there was another member of the forum who bought a used wiper motor On the internet and found out that the Park Sense Switch was not working properly on that wiper motor. I would first check all the wires going to the wiper motor before replacing. Wiper motor failure is extremely rare.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 07 Feb 2020 at 10:58 pm.
Old 14 Feb 2020, 06:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Im having a similar issue the intermittent doesnt work, they wipe full speed no matter what setting i have them set on, sometimes they shut of when i turn them off sometimes they dont.its driving me crazy, lol
Old 14 Feb 2020, 08:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I sympathize with you,mine don't stop even with the mutlifunction switch removed from the car,all the other functions work when re connected so i've just
spliced into the main 12 volt line on the wiper motor and switched it on/off as required. it's summer hear in australia so I have little need for wipers at the moment.

Dash.
Old 17 Feb 2020, 07:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

In the States, the 2006 PT has the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM).
The multifunction wiper switch communicates with the TIPM to provide control to the
wipers. By removing the multifunction wiper switch, you have broken the
Local Interconnect Network (LIN) serial data communication to the TIPM. If the wipers
don't turn off with the multifunction wiper switch removed it would seem to indicate
an internal glitch in the TIPM.

edit... This assumes that you have made sure that the "park" switch is OK.
Make sure that the "park" circuit in the motor mentioned in post #5
is working properly before considering the TIPM.

Last edited by Carl48; 18 Feb 2020 at 10:36 am.