PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Torque converter won't seat fully

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Feb 2020, 04:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Torque converter won't seat fully

I don't disagree that a PT is not the ideal first car for my niece. Heck, I used to like them. My sister has had one for about 12 years (that I maintain) and my brother used to have one and had it als for about ten years. But after this experience I will never have a PT Cruiser for my personal use. But it has become apparent that it is really a car for my brother, purchased under the guise of it being a car for my niece.

Anyway, the whole point of my original question, since I am a home mechanic and about 80% self-taught, was to find out if when Chrysler designed the A604/41TE transmission some new feature was added that would inhibit the installation of the torque convter. Some feature that was not present on older transmissions like the 904/727 of yore. Turns out they didn't, and it turns out that I was able to answer my own question by looking closely at the transmission.

So, thank you to everyone who responded.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by glibbis; 05 Feb 2020 at 04:05 pm.
Old 05 Feb 2020, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

...there were several changes and upgrades...... over about a 15 year period for the 41TE

As for a PT Cruiser and some that find it hard to work on...I can tell you flat out there is NOTHING out of the ordinary with them! No mystery to any repair or service work or any difficulty level more so that are not found on many platforms and other vehicles. If you work on it or a few they become as familiar as any other regularly worked on vehicle.

Not sure why so many "mechanics's" and DYI always seem to comment they are PIA to do some service work but then they are "mechanics' and DIY working on them.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 05 Feb 2020, 10:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
...there were several changes and upgrades...... over about a 15 year period for the 41TE

As for a PT Cruiser and some that find it hard to work on...I can tell you flat out there is NOTHING out of the ordinary with them! No mystery to any repair or service work or any difficulty level more so that are not found on many platforms and other vehicles. If you work on it or a few they become as familiar as any other regularly worked on vehicle.

Not sure why so many "mechanics's" and DYI always seem to comment they are PIA to do some service work but then they are "mechanics' and DIY working on them.
I agree. Over the years of working on the PTs in my family, I have rebuilt every system and replaced just about every part on the 01-05 PT Cruiser. While the actualy work is straightforward, figuring out what to remove to gain access to parts is annoying. Once you accept you will have to remove things every time you want to do basic work,and that space will still be tight once things are removed, they aren't that bad to work on. However, at this late date, good condition used parts are getting harder to find, and I would not recommend buying one of these vehicles unless you are already familiar with them and know that you will likley be doing the head gasket or at least the timing belt and water pump replacement and that the electronics are starting to go simply from age. My sister's 03 PT is on its third computer and both that 03 PT and my brother's 02 PT have electrical gremlins due to age. Give me a pre-computerized car any day. Much cheaper and easier to maintain.
chuzz likes this.
Old 06 Feb 2020, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Parts are not hard to find.... use the Recyclers search when talking to a representative of that recycle or find one that is nationally connected.

Remember that they made over a million PT Cruisers.

I hate to say it but you went from asking a very, very simple question that anyone that claims to have worked on automatic transmission (mostly USA built mexico included)should have none ( *most all torque converter install the same ) to suddenly an expert about working on vehicles and even transmissions.. LOL???

A PT Cruiser like any other vehicle once a used one is brought up to replacing worn parts is VERY RELIABLE and can go another age 100K miles

Funny I wonder what people thought about us in high school working on Camaro's,Mustangs, Dart etc...they never made as many of those and look at now!

Lets add MGB, MGA, TDs TF's Triumphs ,Rotary Mazda's... and even PINTO etc......

So really when speaking about shortages of parts these days you just need to do a little more web surfing....

*there are a few exception

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by CREWZIN; 06 Feb 2020 at 11:16 am.
Old 06 Feb 2020, 12:26 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Parts are not hard to find.... use the Recyclers search when talking to a representative of that recycle or find one that is nationally connected.

Remember that they made over a million PT Cruisers.

I hate to say it but you went from asking a very, very simple question that anyone that claims to have worked on automatic transmission (mostly USA built mexico included)should have none ( *most all torque converter install the same ) to suddenly an expert about working on vehicles and even transmissions.. LOL???

A PT Cruiser like any other vehicle once a used one is brought up to replacing worn parts is VERY RELIABLE and can go another age 100K miles

Funny I wonder what people thought about us in high school working on Camaro's,Mustangs, Dart etc...they never made as many of those and look at now!

Lets add MGB, MGA, TDs TF's Triumphs ,Rotary Mazda's... and even PINTO etc......

So really when speaking about shortages of parts these days you just need to do a little more web surfing....

*there are a few exception
When I was looking for the replacement transmission I just installed in this PT I went through Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market www.autowrecking.com and lkqonline.com I found one junkyuard 30 miles for me that said they had a PT transmission. They didn't. It was mislabelled in the computer and I wasted half a day driving there, waiting for them to verify their error, and then driving back home.

I next found a junkyard an hour fromme that said they had a PT transmission pulled and ready to go. I called them twice and had them verify that they had the transmission. They asured me they did. I drove there, waited 45 minutes for them to bring the transmission to the office, and it turns out they didn't have one. They had also misentered the data in their databse. So I had wasted another half day based on bad data input into the online parts databases.

I finally found an old guy with a private junkyard 40 miles from me way back in the woods who let me pull a trans from a PT he had for $100. At least he actually had the transmission and did lie and waste my time.

I live in a part of the USA that doesn't have a big car culture and it is getting harder to find older parts for a reasonable price. If I wanted to spend $400-$500 on an unknown condition transmission and wait a week for it to get shipped in, sure I could have done that. But I don't have the time or money to do that.

I have been burned too many times by online junkyard databases saying a yard has a part and then finding out the information was wrong or outdated. Even before the latest debacle with this transmission I have tried numerous times to find parts online only to find the junkyards never updated their inventory or simply put in incorrect information.

I never claimed to be an expert on rebuilding transmissions or anything else. Most of my experience is with older vehicles which is why I asked if there was some trick to installing the converter on the PT transmission. Ultimately, yes, I determined there wasn't. Yes, it sounded like a question someone inexperienced would ask. But even you acknowledge that " *most all torque converter install the same." That is exactly why I asked the question. Having never worked on one before, and being aware that there are different types of transmissions out there, I was checking if the A604 was one of those transmissions where the converter installs differently.

Why are you so bound and determined to insult me? I don't get it. If you have the money to just order whatever part you need rebuilt or new, good for you. One of the reasons why I taught myself to fix cars was because I don't have that kind of money. I had to learn how to stretch the money I do have and make the parts and cars I have last, not just buy my way out of any problem that popped up.

If you don't have anything helpful to say, please just don't say anything at all. Roll your eyes and feel superior in the privacy of your own home.
rcktpwrd and Tuggajb like this.
Old 06 Feb 2020, 04:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:

The engine bay is pretty cramped and some of the fairly common R&R items outright brutal to get at. Heater core, I am looking at you!

This may be fairly common for modern cars, but PT Cruisers tend to appeal to those of us that do our own work and are used to V8s from the 1970s and before. You remember. The kind of cars where you could drop something in the engine bay and hear it hit the floor.
Old 06 Feb 2020, 06:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glibbis View Post
W

If you don't have anything helpful to say, please just don't say anything at all. Roll your eyes and feel superior in the privacy of your own home.
Maybe you should go back re-read how you started all started this ! I came to your thread to help you and suddenly you became your own expert and found my advice unappreciated. !?? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
The engine bay is pretty cramped and some of the fairly common R&R items outright brutal to get at. Heater core, I am looking at you!

This may be fairly common for modern cars, but PT Cruisers tend to appeal to those of us that do our own work and are used to V8s from the 1970s and before. You remember. The kind of cars where you could drop something in the engine bay and hear it hit the floor.
Ya I don't think so at least not for me and not near as cramped as many cars of the 60's,70's the really bad emission out engine bay 80's.....and from your response you ain't NEVER worked on a BMW/MINI Cooper S model 2009 and newer LOL not they are MF to do most things on and makes a PT Cruiser look like the easiest car in the world to work on. .... It's just all about thinking about and reviewing a service guide and not jumping into a service project. As for the heater core as your example..... are you kidding there are very few cars in the 70's that it was easy to change a heater core I speak of those with AC.

Lets not forget the quick band aid on a 70's heater core leaking was draining it and bypassing it with a hose. LOL

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN