PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT not getting fuel

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Mar 2020, 01:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT not getting fuel

My good-running non-turbo 2006 PT (99K) doesn't start now. Fires a few seconds on starting spray, so lacks fuel.

Replaced the fuel pump 16 months ago. New cam & crank sensors + new coil pack 11 months ago.

Battery cranks fine (keep a battery tender on it), grounds look fine.

Key -> ON, I sometimes hear a few-seconds hum, (the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel rail?). I don't hear it every time. If fuel pressure is good, the pump is silent, right?

It fires on spray. If the fuel pump works, does that point to injectors not getting signal?

PTCruiserSteve once wrote "On 2006 PT Cruisers they are not equipped with a fuel pump relay. The fuel pump control is done through the TIPM. The TIPM receives an input signal from the PCM. Once the TIPM receives the signal, it will output a 12 volt supply to the fuel pump module turning the pump on".

Multimeter handy, I would do some simple troubleshooting if possible. Is there a fuel system schematic or block diagram?

The ASD relays on the firewall are swap-able. What fuses and relays can I check?

How can I fault-isolate to confirm a fuel system component ? Thanks in advance.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 01:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT not getting fuel

1) Key dance for obvious codes

2) Undo the petrol tank filler, check it looks OK, screw back on.

3) Put the large seat back down. Sit in the drivers seat, turn ignition to run, should hear fuel pump.
Whether you do or not, try to start for 15 seconds. Let go the key and listen. You should hear a whine from the back for a couple of seconds. Whether you do or not:

4) find the Schreader valve (like a tyre valve) on the end of your fuel line (ie, the common rail that feeds the injectors) With the ignition off and taking all sensible precautions, depress the Schreader valve with something sensible, like a plastic pen. If your pumping *system* (not just your pump - you should have heard that whining) is pressurising OK, you should get a goodly spray of fuel at some pressure to prove it.

If you get nix, or a dribble, you should by now know that the problem isn't your pump (you heard it) or for some other reason, you're not getting pressure.
Report back.

If you are getting pressure - report back.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 02:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Reading all the information posted so far by the op and others......

1) key dance is a poor way to get the correct and any and all possible DTC's.

2)Fuel cap will not prevent the engine from starting but a faulty or good seal can produce an emission directed DTC.

3) Not all pumps will emit a whine sound but this is at least a a DIY way to know how your hearing is? lol

4)checking for fuel at the fuel line unless checking the running fuel pressure is inconclusive and dangerous for most DIY

I suggest to first use a Diagnostic tool and plug it into the diagnostic connector and get all the DTC you should have from the no start cycle. Then review them.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 25 Mar 2020 at 02:53 pm.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 03:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

I suggest to first use a Diagnostic tool and plug it into the diagnostic connector and get all the DTC you should have from the no start cycle. Then review them.
Thanks, NitroPT. I'm using an inexpensive fault-check tool (ELM 327) on the OBD2 port, linked by bluetooth to my android smartphone running the "Piston" app. It links-up, even gives brief, live RPM data when I crank the engine. It reports that there are no fault codes. My neighbor has a more sophisticated one maybe I can borrow... Should I have find-able codes for sure?
Old 25 Mar 2020, 03:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Reading all the information posted so far by the op and others......

1) key dance is a poor way to get the correct and any and all possible DTC's.

2)Fuel cap will not prevent the engine from starting but a faulty or good seal can produce an emission directed DTC.

3) Not all pumps will emit a whine sound but this is at least a a DIY way to know how your hearing is? lol

4)checking for fuel at the fuel line unless checking the running fuel pressure is inconclusive and dangerous for most DIY

We're all upset you didn't post first chum.

Especially you, by the looks of it

Good luck with your problem Den458. No, the things I posted at 1 & 2 wont "cure" or "prove" anything - they are simply done in the same way "check you have fuel in the tank" is - as a reference, to save you doing them later.

Trust me, you're in good hands with Nitro PT. He knows everything. including that not all PT Cruiser pump don't whine. Which they do. Invariably.

Have a nice day you two...
Old 25 Mar 2020, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Unless your ECU has failed and not communicating the information to the diagnostic connector then ya go borrow your friends Diagnostic tool.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 25 Mar 2020, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

***** Codes FOUND ! *****

Borrowed my neighbor's Bluedriver scan tool

0 confirmed codes, 0 pending codes

1 Front Control Module (Central Gateway) code:
P127E Status ACTIVE * Fuel Pump Control Circuit 2 Open

Do any of you insiders know what it means? What is my next diagnostic step?

Thanks again to ALL following & contributing so far...
Old 26 Mar 2020, 07:35 am
Senior Cruiser

http://https://www.cargurus.com/Cars...27236_ds926352

Quote:
P127E trouble code
Asked by GuruT2JN2 Jul 17, 2018 at 03:31 PM about the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Wagon FWD

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

I was reading previous question and saw
p127e gurus said it did not exist ... well it
does fuel pump circuit b open.. found that
the fuel pump ground along with 8 other
ground wires that are not listed in any
location to be the problem ..left side inner
has multiple grounds but there are 8 more
on right inner under ac lines on pt cruiser
Check your grounds and fuel pump wiring, especially since you did the job fairly recently.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 09:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad;712034

4) find the Schreader valve (like a tyre valve) on the end of your fuel line (ie, the common rail that feeds the injectors) With the ignition off and[B
taking all sensible precautions[/B], depress the Schreader valve with something sensible, like a plastic pen. If your pumping *system* (not just your pump - you should have heard that whining) is pressurising OK, you should get a goodly spray of fuel at some pressure to prove it.

If you are getting pressure - report back.
Sinbad: I found in another thread titled "Depressurize Fuel System on 2006 PT Cruiser" that Chrysler eliminated that Schrader valve on the 2006 models, so bummer, I'd like to have established that I really had some fuel pressure there, thanks.
Sinbad likes this.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 09:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd take a spray bottle and put gas in it. Remove the throttle body hose and have someone crank the engine while spraying gas in it. If it keeps running while you spray gas and dies when you stop, then you'll know it's either the fuel pump or a bad connection somewhere. Have fun with it.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.