PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
No start after new timing belt

 
Like Tree1Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2020, 03:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Lisbon,Ohio
Posts: 19
Default No start after new timing belt

I have an 05 Cruiser 2.4 Turbo convertible that i have changed the timing belt,water pump etc on. I know the engine is in time correctly but it will not start. As a matter of fact it wont crank from the key switch [ the solenoid just chatters like a dead battery but if I run a jumper wire and touch the solenoid pull in It will crank but no spark. I have removed the grounds on the left inside fender, cleaned them and still no change. I even ran another ground from the engine block to the ground bolt. I checked the codes on the dash and it shows a PO522 which pertains to the oil sender. All plugs that I had to disconnect were marked and hooked back up correctly. I dont know where to go from here. I purchased a Haines manual and it's ok but doesn't show the engine wiring like I wanted [ or haven't found yet]. Any help greatly appreciated as it is driving me totally beserk.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2020, 04:02 pm
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,427
Default Re: No start after new timing belt

The Cam Sensor plug & Ignition Coil plug are the same size, a lot of people get it mixed up during replacement... try switching the two & see what happens.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2020, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Lisbon,Ohio
Posts: 19
Default Re: No start after new timing belt

The cam sensor was never unplugged, neither was the coil.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2020, 07:51 pm
Sinbad's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 598
Default Re: No start after new timing belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky1 View Post
it shows a PO522 which pertains to the oil sender
This would be really sh*t luck after doing your belt, but take the plugs off the ECU (Gen 1, right? Up on the firewall, I think) and check that there is no oil in them... Give them a spray out with tiny bit of brake cleaner before plugging them back in.

Post back what you find - which will hopefully be no oil.

Take a plug out and check theres a spark. Check all the leads for a spark. (just seen you posted no spark - is that on all leads??)

Check theres fuel in the rail. (check fuel after checking spark )

Post back what you find
__________________
_________________________________________
'07 2.2 CRD
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2020, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Lisbon,Ohio
Posts: 19
Default Re: No start after new timing belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
This would be really sh*t luck after doing your belt, but take the plugs off the ECU (Gen 1, right? Up on the firewall, I think) and check that there is no oil in them... Give them a spray out with tiny bit of brake cleaner before plugging them back in.

Post back what you find - which will hopefully be no oil.

Take a plug out and check theres a spark. Check all the leads for a spark. (just seen you posted no spark - is that on all leads??)

Check theres fuel in the rail. (check fuel after checking spark )

Post back what you find
I should have added that I did replace the starter and glad I did because the nosecone bearing was worn almost thru into the aluminum housing. Also, this is an automatic trans and the shift linkage does need adjusted as it doesn't release the key to remove it sometimes[ you have to jiggle the shifter]. Would the interlock switch have any bearing on the solenoid chatter? I will check the ECU plugs tomorrow. Oh,and the fuel pump runs when the Key is turned on.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26 Mar 2020, 01:41 am
Sinbad's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 598
Default Re: No start after new timing belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky1 View Post
I should have added that I did replace the starter and glad I did because the nosecone bearing was worn almost thru into the aluminum housing.
Are the flywheel teeth OK? The new starter isn't jamming up on wrecked teeth?


Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky1 View Post
Also, this is an automatic trans and the shift linkage does need adjusted as it doesn't release the key to remove it sometimes[ you have to jiggle the shifter]. Would the interlock switch have any bearing on the solenoid chatter? I will check the ECU plugs tomorrow. Oh,and the fuel pump runs when the Key is turned on.
For now it's best to assume that what you didn't change hasn't changed anything, like the plugs swap that Lion talked about.
__________________
_________________________________________
'07 2.2 CRD
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26 Mar 2020, 04:04 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Lisbon,Ohio
Posts: 19
Default Re: No start after new timing belt

They are fine. If that we're the case it wouldn't crank when jumped directly to the solenoid.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 26 Mar 2020, 05:46 am
Sinbad's Avatar
Fanatic Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 598
Default Re: No start after new timing belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky1 View Post
They are fine. If that we're the case it wouldn't crank when jumped directly to the solenoid.
Most of the time, no. Just thought I'd ask. Eliminates another possible
__________________
_________________________________________
'07 2.2 CRD
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 26 Mar 2020, 08:30 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Lisbon,Ohio
Posts: 19
Default Re: No start after new timing belt

Yes ,I understand.I'm grasping at straws also.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 26 Mar 2020, 09:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lake Wales, FL
Posts: 5,011
Default Re: No start after new timing belt

Are you sure you got the wires back on the starter correctly? Not trying to piss you off, just asking a question that COULD be the problem if the small wires are in the wrong place.
__________________


Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Start After Timing Belt mtyson General PT Cruiser Discussions 4 03 May 2019 04:53 am
About to start timing belt job! fisheyestudio Tech & Performance Forum 5 22 Jul 2016 01:13 pm
After timing belt wont start moparman75 Tech & Performance Forum 1 17 Apr 2011 10:39 am
timing belt/ no start/ no compression sylster General Turbo Discussions 8 01 Mar 2010 08:42 pm
timing belt no start YouPutz Tech & Performance Forum 17 27 Feb 2010 04:38 am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors