Advertisements
Timing Belt Job

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 May 2020, 10:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Job

Autozone has the puller for rent

Itís Chrysler specific, not just a generic puller.

Hook it up right and crank the hell out of it with pneumatic impact or electric impact gun

Iíve been lucky, I always use the stock hb bolt too pull the hb back on. Always a little scared but never a problem. If hell freezes over and I do another one Iíll use a longer bolt

Keep at it
rockandroller likes this.
Old 18 May 2020, 11:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambojoe View Post
And what makes most people quit is getting the belt and tensioner on while keeping all the marks lined up...
It would be a great idea to "search" timing belt on this forum...all the headaches and cures have been posted and re-posted a thousand times.
Good luck.
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me Joe. The belt does have enough slack to get onto all the pulleys, but it rarely has enough slack to get onto all the pulleys and get over the edge of the tensioner pulley. There may be enough sample to sample variation to get over the edge but it will often need 1/8" more than what you've got and the belt does not stretch. This could drive you to drink trying to get the belt over the tensioner pulley even when it is turned to the lowest slack setting.

I found that if you loosen the pulley bolt all the way to where it comes off the tensioner bracket, you can get the belt on the pulley, then rethread the bolt back into the bracket with quite a bit of slack still on the belt. You can then finish screwing the bolt in, then adjusting the bolt tension while adjusting the spring arm so that it shows up inside the "U" gap. This shows you have the right tension on the bolt. This is where clamping the timing belt onto the sprockets help.

Once you have the belt back on and think it's lined up and the tensioner adjusted, remember to hand crank the crankshaft 2 revolutions to make sure all the marks line up again on the crank sprocket and the camshaft sprockets.
Old 19 May 2020, 08:43 am
Cool Cruiser

I'm going to order those longer bolts today for when I install the balancer later on. As for holding the belt in place, I've got some clamps with soft rubber tips on them, I'll use those to hold the belt in place on the cam pulleys. I'm going to get that balancer off tonight, and fortunately, @RcktPwrd is going to drop by Thursday night (He's local) and help me get the belt on and the tensioner aligned. He's done the job before on his '01, so he's got experience, unlike me.

I'm looking forward to getting it back on the road! I'm thinking things are looking pretty good!

As for the "Stuffing the holes" for the puller, just use random bolts or whatever else I have laying around the shop?
Old 19 May 2020, 09:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Update

Finally made some good progress tonight!!

I was able to remove the HB, as some of y'all suggested, I put the HB bolt back in a few threads deep, wedged some crap in to keep the puller in place and just cranked the hell out of it. Finally, it came loose. I had also sprayed it a few times with some SeaFoam Deep Creep, just in case.

After that, I removed the lower timing cover, tilted up the engine and removed the mid mount, which was unbelievably worn, (I think it was original to the car) and I got th engine in TDC and made paint marks on all the pulleys. Tomorrow, I'll get the belt off, replace the water pump and idler. Subsequently, how hard is it to do the crank and cam seals? How does the crank gear get removed? Do I need to rent a seal puller?
Old 20 May 2020, 11:13 am
Fanatic Cruiser

As shown in my first post, the cam pulleys come off pretty easily with the proper tool. Something that will hold the pulleys in place while using a breaker bar to loosen the camshaft pulley bolts

The oil seals are either incredibly difficult to remove or super simple to remove depending on whether you think you can do it for nothing or have the right tool. You can try to drill a hole in the seal body and pull it out with a strong hooked device but there is (once again) no clearance on the side of the engine to use a conventional drill. You must drill the hole in the thin part of the seal and make sure you don't scratch any metal.

Or you can use a tool like this:

You just insert the hooked end under the inside ring of the oil seal, adjust the post to use as a fulcrum against the engine body, push down on the handle and the seal pops out. It is obscenely simple.

https://youtu.be/BtsGU2nLrJg

You can also use the old oil seals to pound in the new ones. Use a mallet. The old oil seals on top of the new one will allow you to tap in the new seal flush with the face of cylinder head. Or you can work around the circumference with a mallet and a punch.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 20 May 2020 at 11:16 am.
Old 20 May 2020, 03:33 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sounds great! I'll see if AutoZone rents seal pullers. if not, I'll buy one. At this point, I've put so much work into this job that I really want to go the extra mile and make sure it gets done right. How do you remove the crank seals? I'm not sure how that little spline comes out, or if it stays in place.
Old 20 May 2020, 04:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

The seals direct from chrysler (national seal?..i think thats their brand) push in almost too easily...but 2 years and zero issue. Came out easy too...i turned a control (small) flathead into a seal puller by torching the tip 90į.. as in the smallest flat head in your tool box. Chrome steel, not the black stuff..
The old belt works great if you dip it between the cam wheels- the bolts aren't that tight.
On another note...there is an alarming number of pristine first gen pt's all of a sudden...as in "old lady 20,000mile holy crap" pristine...
Old 20 May 2020, 04:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

the woodruff key? On the crank? Just tap it out with a beater flat tip screwdriver...re- "spline"
Old 21 May 2020, 10:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyverman1123 View Post
Sounds great! I'll see if AutoZone rents seal pullers. if not, I'll buy one. At this point, I've put so much work into this job that I really want to go the extra mile and make sure it gets done right. How do you remove the crank seals? I'm not sure how that little spline comes out, or if it stays in place.
$20 at Oreilly Auto Parts.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...l+puller&pos=4
Old 21 May 2020, 06:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

@RcktPwrd and I managed to get some really great work done tonight, but we discovered that I had somehow ordered the updated design tensioner, and the car has the original "Grenade pin" design. Unfortunately, it looks like it can't be sourced locally and would take damn near a week to arrive, so I'm working on that at the moment. We did manage to get the water pump replaced, however, and the old belt off. The bearings on all the pulleys were absolutely shot!

The cam gears were on insanely tight. Had to be over 300 ft pounds. Whoever did this job before did some super sketchy work, it's plain to see. Fortunately, it the job as a whole is really looking up! I feel confident that I can finish it myself now, assuming I can get my hands on either the grenade pin tensioner, or the bracket for the new one and the cover for the new style one too. So I'm off to the parts store and see what I can find.