Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Heavy Oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2004, 09:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Heavy Oil?

Ok cleaned and re-oiled my Airaid intake filter.

Found a small amount of oil in the bottom of my airbox, also trails of where it looks like some oil got sucked up into the intake plentum.

Is this bad?!?!?

I really don't think that Airaid or K&N would make these oils if they would damage your vehicle. Is this true.

Much help with at topic that might help others too.

Thanks.
Old 22 Jul 2004, 09:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Colby,

I've seen the Turbo forums where guys have found oil in the bottom of the air filter box and they say it's normal. Don't think it will hurt much as it will get burned as it goes thru the system.

Now I did have a small problem with my Vette when I over oiled my K&N. The Vette has a Temperature sensor (like the PT) in the airstream after the filter. The Vette has a tiny (hair-like) wire that measures the temperature and density of the air and mine got coated with the excess oil and was sending me a code. I had to go the the Vette forum and ask around to find out the answer to that particular problem. Had to clean off the filter and sensor and lightly re-oil the filter again. The PT IAT (intake air temp) sensor is easy to take off and wipe clean but be careful you don't break the small blue tip or you'll be buying a new sensor.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2004, 02:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CREWZIN

Colby,

I've seen the Turbo forums where guys have found oil in the bottom of the air filter box and they say it's normal. Don't think it will hurt much as it will get burned as it goes thru the system.

Now I did have a small problem with my Vette when I over oiled my K&N. The Vette has a Temperature sensor (like the PT) in the airstream after the filter. The Vette has a tiny (hair-like) wire that measures the temperature and density of the air and mine got coated with the excess oil and was sending me a code. I had to go the the Vette forum and ask around to find out the answer to that particular problem. Had to clean off the filter and sensor and lightly re-oil the filter again. The PT IAT (intake air temp) sensor is easy to take off and wipe clean but be careful you don't break the small blue tip or you'll be buying a new sensor.
The mass air sensor on the vette is much more sensative to excess oiling of the K&N because it uses a heated wire and unheated wire to measure the airflow and the heated wire has a tendency to burn the oil and cake it onto the wire. Easily cleaned off though. I just made it a part of regular maintenance. Our Speed Density injection does not use a Mass Airflow Meter, no heated parts, and is much less likely to be affected by it.

Bottom line is just don't over-oil the filter. There is no reason to. Just a thin line of oil on the crest of each fold on one side of the filter and the wicking action will pull it down to the rest of the cotton.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 23 Jul 2004, 10:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks,
The Pt seems to run fine even though, and the sensor looks good, just thought I would ask to see what every one thought.