Oil pressure sensor# 3 coming up

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NitroPT
  • 1 Post By rockandroller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2020, 11:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Oil pressure sensor# 3 coming up

Original oil sensor was replaced it was assumed it was bad replacement sensor went bad that was replaced it lasted about a month and out comes back on is there a known issues with the generic oil sensors for the PT or maybe should I be looking at wiring is there a way to test the sensor thanks guys he's mechanics are killing me on prices if I have to hire some electrician really be screwed my oil pressure light comes on intermittently randomly at nothing set an address does it high-speed low-speed just reading it wants most the time it's on but then shuts off comes back on I need to get this fixed so I can get my car smogged I don't believe they will smog of my car with oil pressure light on they didn't used to when I had my smog class..
Old 14 Jun 2020, 01:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Oil pressure sensor# 3 coming up

This is common that people on all forums and platform will get an oil light check for a DTC and "assume" it is an oil pressure sender/switch replace it and in a short time that same proplem.

Failing do do the proper procedure to test for a faulty sensor and simply replacing a part often results in returned or unsolved problems.

After market sensors or OEM have pretty much the same quality and life expectancy. Mostly because of the simplicity of those simple sensors.

Many do not realize when they install a sensor that they get carried way with tightening them and may have inadvertently damaged it.

There you go....

How do I come to answer this thread this way...

Changing hundreds of oil pressure senders over the years privately and professionally.

Having customers after changing a couple of senders (a few on PT Cruisers) giving up bringing the vehicle to the shop to find what the real cause of the oil light activating was.

Check the wiring carefully. You may need to do a ohms test from the sensor back to the harness plug in the engine compartment and then ECU and even into the dash.
CLEAN both the battery terminals and cables and especially the ground wire/cable where they mount to the chassis or engine.

Check for DTC at the Diagnostic connector with a scan tool connected to that connected nothing.

Then if all these seem to be in order go to mechanical testing of oil pressure at idle and at 3000 rpm.

For the fun of it........
I am willing to bet if you did not damage the original sensor you removed, by re-installing it the light will go out for a brief time just like the new one did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rcruiser View Post
OI need to get this fixed so I can get my car smogged I don't believe they will smog of my car with oil pressure light on they didn't used to when I had my smog class..
Currently in CA unless your have an "ENGINE" light on the emission center will simply plug right into the diagnostic connector and go on line to the air resources board for emission qualification for certification.

CA emission testing class...
you took a "smog" class and are asking about the oil light???????

Well did you remember the part about the "Monitors"???

An oil light is not part of the monitors in the ECU cell and does not effect a smog test. But an ENGINE light is different from an oil light and is in the monitors having to do with the emissions systems.
3rcruiser likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 14 Jun 2020 at 02:04 pm.
Old 14 Jun 2020, 03:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd guess the wiring... my car frequently shows spurious oil light after a car wash or driving through a big puddle. It clears by itself, or I can clear it sooner by doing an ECU reset.

Right now it's in the shop getting some engine maintenance, (timing belt/motor mounts/ seals, etc) and while it's in there, they are taking the time to check all the sensor wiring and see if any connectors need replacing, or if there are any wire abrasions that need sealing up...
3rcruiser likes this.
Old 16 Jun 2020, 03:07 pm
Cool Cruiser

My clunking sound is motor mounts about 1100 for 3..if last shop didn't check oil pressure with gauge and just replaced sensor I will be screwed..but I should of had issues by now..thanks for replys..smog class was just as obd was out..94? half class failed..bar 90?? Bad memory long ago..gonna have mechanical check of oil press done first and go from there..this time I will be watching lol..
Old 16 Jun 2020, 03:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

It might of been the school's policy about oil light or leaks..lol but it was a rule..cuyamaca community el cajon
Old 17 Jun 2020, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My wife told me yesterday that the light and chime in her 07 came on. I say it was a bit low on oil, added about a quart and started it - no light...

The car has had a history of ground problems -on the front inner fenders where all the grounds meet at one stud. Had to cut them and replace the ends.

Where should I look for the ground for the oil pressure sensor? The car has 98000 miles and is really nice shape - Had the timing belt, water pump, mounts ,hoses all done last year. I'll look on Utube to see the sender location and probable change it... John

'07 PT Limited Edition ,2.4 Auto ,Pastel Yellow,Two tone grey interior. 91,000 mi

'08 HHR Panel , 2.4 Auto, Black leather interior.

'09 HHR SS Panel , 2.0 Turbocharged,5 sp, One of 216 Panel SS's made.