Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jalve
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By myckee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jun 2020, 03:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2-row aluminum radiator & water inlet

I have been suffering from some overheating issues whenever I drive a bit longer, say more than 10 km. Surprisingly standing in traffic does not seem to make it worse, but driving fast does. So, after replacing the fan and the thermostat (multiple times, actually), I decided to change the radiator. I bought one of those full-aluminum 2-row radiators on eBay. Now my dilemma is, it's thicker than the original, and the water inlet pipe for the water pump comes so close that the lower radiator hose gets kinked. Has anybody else used one of those radiators? What did you do about the inlet pipe? There's plenty of space under it, so it could have another bend in it so that the hose end could point down instead of being at something like 45-degree angle. But can it be bent, or is there another type available that would leave more space for the radiator fan?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by jalve; 27 Jun 2020 at 03:24 pm.
Old 28 Jun 2020, 09:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2-row aluminum radiator & water inlet

First, as a general rule of thumb, if an engine overheats at speed but stays cool while in traffic, it's often a blocked radiator. You may have only needed to flush your radiator or replace it with a stock type radiator to solve the overheating issue.

To answer your question about the hose, if you can post some photos of the problem, we can likely help give you some suggestions. Just from reading your post, I would guess that a short piece of flexible radiator hose would be the solution. But I would need to see the problem to be more sure.
myckee and rsrocket1 like this.
Old 28 Jun 2020, 11:42 am
Senior Cruiser

I agree, a picture would help, but If the hose is simply too long and creating a kink, you can simply trim the hose until it fits without kinking. It will not affect the durability nor longevity of the hose and is safe to do.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 28 Jun 2020, 02:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The problem is, the water pump inlet pipe is too long (or pointing too much towards the radiator). The hose touches the fan shroud. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow.
Old 29 Jun 2020, 07:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Here's the photo:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ktUJsGCwMmxVFapAA

Last edited by jalve; 29 Jun 2020 at 07:41 am.

Tags
radiator replacement, water pump inlet tube