PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 PT running hot? Driver's power seat motor stopped working?

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By glibbis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2020, 10:44 am
Young Cruiser

Default 02 PT running hot? Driver's power seat motor stopped working?

My brother has an 02 PT Cruiser he bought cheap after it sat in a field for over a year. He is finishing up fixing/replacing the last few things and has a couple of questions:

(1) How hot does a naturally aspirated PT 2.4 engine run? The factory gauge normally runs around the middle of the stock temp gauge and the aftermarket water temp gauge he installed shows the motor usually runs around 220 degree F. Looking at the factory service manual, it appears that the high speed fan turns on at 220 degrees and turns off at 210. The low speed fan is supposed to turn on at 206 and off at 199.

Do PT engines normally run around 220 degrees? Or is there a problem with his low speed fan not turning on?

(2) The PT is a Limited model so it has the power heated driver's seat. The power motor was working find until it just stopped. My brother has replaced both the switch and the motor and the fuse that powers the seat motor is good. The heat function also still works. The seat just won't go up or down and the motor will not activate. We're stumped as to why. Are there any known issues and common fixes for a power seat that stops working?

Thanks.
Old 06 Sep 2020, 12:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 02 PT running hot? Driver's power seat motor stopped working?

Mid-scale on the instrument cluster temp gauge is normal. The PT thermostat is 195F.
220F sounds a bit high, but among other things may be due to accuracy of aftermarket gauge, placement of the temp sender, or if you live in Death Valley.
Typically, on a summer day, once you have driven several miles and the temp gauge indicates normal, stop and idle the engine for a while... you should hear the low speed fan cycle on and off.
Old 06 Sep 2020, 01:25 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Mid-scale on the instrument cluster temp gauge is normal. The PT thermostat is 195F.
220F sounds a bit high, but among other things may be due to accuracy of aftermarket gauge, placement of the temp sender, or if you live in Death Valley.
Typically, on a summer day, once you have driven several miles and the temp gauge indicates normal, stop and idle the engine for a while... you should hear the low speed fan cycle on and off.
Thanks. The sending unit for the Autometer aftermarket guage is plumbed into the upper radiator hose at the curve near the fitting on the upper radiator tank. My brother is checking hte low speed fan operation right now.

Brother lives at sea level in western Washington state, but it has been fairly warm there recently (low to mid-80s).

The PT basically warms up to 220 and maintains that temp driving around or sitting at idle.

We will keep checking things out.
Old 06 Sep 2020, 03:51 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

On my 08 PT the instrument cluster gauge reads mid-scale when the engine is fully warmed up. It fluctuates very slightly, maybe the needle's width as the thermostat opens and closes. According to a scan tool plugged into the data port, my water temp varies between 195 and 205F (or maybe a couple degrees more if it is really hot day).
Your brother's 220F reading sounds a little high but his factory gauge in the cluster looks OK.

The factory temp sender is threaded into the head below the coolant filler neck.
It would seem that when the thermostat opens, the water temp in the upper radiator hose should be at the same temp as at the factory sender location.
Old 06 Sep 2020, 08:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by glibbis View Post
Thanks. The sending unit for the Autometer aftermarket guage is plumbed into the upper radiator hose at the curve near the fitting on the upper radiator tank. My brother is checking hte low speed fan operation right now.

Brother lives at sea level in western Washington state, but it has been fairly warm there recently (low to mid-80s).

The PT basically warms up to 220 and maintains that temp driving around or sitting at idle.

We will keep checking things out.
With the engine cold, start the engine, turn on the A/C. The fan should turn on almost immediately on the radiator fan. Post back if it does not come on.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 13 Sep 2020 at 04:10 pm.
Old 06 Sep 2020, 09:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

FWIW, replaced my radiator fan a couple of months ago because the low speed quit.
However, there was no notice of overheating on the cluster temp gauge.
Just happened to notice one day that the fan was not coming on as it should...
have no idea how long it had been failed as there was no indication of overheating.
Old 08 Sep 2020, 11:25 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the replies. Over the weekend the following happened:

(1) seat fixed by replacing the fuse. D'oh.

(2) overheating appears to be cured by replacing the radiator. It was the original Chrysler radiator that had sat for a year in a field and was most likely partially clogged from buildup of rust and goo. Plus, the original engine in the car had a blown head gasket but my brother drove the car about 30 miles on the highway to my house when he first bought it, and I am sure that didn't help the original radiator any.

So, for now, all is fixed and working well. Last thing to fix is the AC.
Carl48 and rockandroller like this.
Old 09 Sep 2020, 09:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
With the engine cold, start the engine, turn on the A/C. The low speed should turn on almost immediately on the radiator fan. Post back if it does not come on.
On my PT it's the high speed on the radiator fan that comes on with the A/C turned on when the engine is started cold. Then, which is correct? Either one can come on?
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 09 Sep 2020, 11:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecabinguy View Post
On my PT it's the high speed on the radiator fan that comes on with the A/C turned on when the engine is started cold. Then, which is correct? Either one can come on?
According to my 02 and 03 factory service manuals, it is the high speed that comes on.