PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Screeching throw out bearing, what am I apt to find?

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By circus
  • 1 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By circus
  • 2 Post By circus
  • 1 Post By circus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Nov 2020, 08:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Screeching throw out bearing, what am I apt to find?

04, no turbo. My clutch release bearing is screeching. Pulling the lever by the slave cylinder stops the noise. Would like to order the parts before tearing the transmission out. I've learned the hard way not to replace parts if I don't have to. What am I apt to find?
rockandroller likes this.
Old 02 Nov 2020, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Screeching throw out bearing, what am I apt to find?

The screech described is undoubtedly the throw out bearing.
Replace throw out bearing. Replace pilot bearing. Stuff grease in the pilot bearing, insert a sized shaft and and tap on it. Pressure on grease will hydraulically push pilot bearing out.
Replace clutch disk plate. Test pressure plate. Replace if weak. Check flywheel, true surface if needed. Reassembled, you should be good for many miles.
rockandroller likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 02 Nov 2020 at 01:33 pm.
Old 02 Nov 2020, 05:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
The screech described is undoubtedly the throw out bearing.
Replace throw out bearing. Replace pilot bearing. Stuff grease in the pilot bearing, insert a sized shaft and and tap on it. Pressure on grease will hydraulically push pilot bearing out.
Replace clutch disk plate. Test pressure plate. Replace if weak. Check flywheel, true surface if needed. Reassembled, you should be good for many miles.
What you say is usually wise but I've been burnt four time replacing perfectly good clutches. Once had to replace the replacement for the replacement when swapping engines on my PU. If the disc is in tolerance I'm keeping the known good clutch.
ptprice likes this.
Old 04 Nov 2020, 06:25 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus View Post
If the disc is in tolerance I'm keeping the known good clutch.
Screeching was the bad throw out bearing cutting off the releasing fingers of the pressure plate. It was nice thinking I could get off cheaply while tearing everything apart. Everything is being replaced.
Does this standard transmission use automatic transmission fluid? Sure looks like it.
Old 04 Nov 2020, 05:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Screeching throw out bearing, what am I apt to find?

What year is your PT?
The 2001's and maybe early 02's use a special oil, later ones use the same atf+4 as the automatics...

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 04 Nov 2020, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Screeching was the bad throw out bearing cutting off the releasing fingers of the pressure plate. It was nice thinking I could get off cheaply while tearing everything apart. Everything is being replaced.
Does this standard transmission use automatic transmission fluid? Sure looks like it.
Probably a lot of heat generated in cutting off the pressure plate release fingers. I'd suggest checking the fly wheel to see if it's warped.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 05 Nov 2020, 11:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Probably a lot of heat generated in cutting off the pressure plate release fingers. I'd suggest checking the fly wheel to see if it's warped.
Pressure plate, disc and flywheel comes as a module (one piece). Bolts to a quasi flex plate.
Old 06 Nov 2020, 07:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Pressure plate, disc and flywheel comes as a module (one piece). Bolts to a quasi flex plate.
Sorry I couldn't give you better advise.
Because of health, it's been a long time since I've done any wrenching.
I realize now how little I know of later, more modern configurations of fly wheel, disk and pressure plate.
I was relying on my memory of antient history.
Glad you've got it figured out.

Last edited by ptprice; 06 Nov 2020 at 08:29 am.
Old 06 Nov 2020, 09:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Sorry I couldn't give you better advise.
Because of health, it's been a long time since I've done any wrenching.
I realize now how little I know of later, more modern configurations of fly wheel, disk and pressure plate.
I was relying on my memory of antient history.
Glad you've got it figured out.
No worries. In the future someone will read the post and benefit.
Old 09 Nov 2020, 04:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Everything is being replaced.
Fixed. Works good.
Got a question though. While fiddling with the shift cables I noticed the smaller end on the transmission was missing a bushing. A short piece of rubber hose and retaining clip worked nicely. Shifting is far less sloppy but more difficult. Not stiff it's just more difficult to go into gear all the way. Is there an adjustment?

Update: Figured it out. Just a matter of loosening and tightening, a tiny bolt, adjusting cable length below the shifter. Shifts good.
rcktpwrd likes this.

Last edited by circus; 09 Nov 2020 at 06:33 pm. Reason: Update