Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Opions on choice for to paint front and back bumper areas on SOOO BIG

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2020, 09:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Opions on choice for to paint front and back bumper areas on SOOO BIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
I've never seen chrome paint on a large surface like that. If your buddy doesn't have experience with it, I'd go with silver. Shooting gloss black is hard enough to keep from blushing . I would imagine chrome might be a challenge to make it look consistent.

I am curious why you couldn't use cool vanilla if you follow the same lines you were going to use with a 2 tone. Seems the natural break points would be enough to hide any inconsistencies' from being so obvious.

Not trying to change your mind from the 2 tone, just making sure you weren't discounting the idea because you didn't think there was a way to go back original without shooting the whole car.

Chrome has the potential of making the car stand out, but my ignorance has me thinking it has the potential to look really bad, my ignorance has be looking back at some rattle can chrome paint jobs that look like "rattle can" chrome paint jobs.

Go with your gut. If it looks like crap, repaint and your never left wondering!
Those of you will recall, I had a ground up, parts off, reincarnation of SOOO BIG done in 2014. Apparently the Cool Vanilla White that was used had just a tinge more yellow creating a fantastic unique color. A three coat, three coat finish that was a bit warmer than the original Cool Vanilla White. We also did a repaint, cover off, of the rear bumper cover over a year ago. It was an unsuccessful matched. Only Aubrey's skill at blending the rear quarters made it unnoticeable.
Now that I have to accommodate this repair I turned to the Forum for advise.

True to form I've gotten great response.

Armed with your generous input, I've decided, Aubrey's gonna repaint the bumper sections of the front and back bumper covers silver (FUL-THANE URETHANE SS 882361) that matches the silver dash panels. The clear coat include the 1/8" grove between the bumper and bumper cover. This should adequately seal the finish at the edge.
I'm not gonna even consider that Chrome paint.
If the bumpers ever need a rework it'll be an easy match.
When the paint cures I might go with front and back chrome kits. They've been on my to-do list for years.
The valid advise you all have given me reflect each and every one's dedication to our PT Cruisers. Common ground.
So thank you all for helping me decide. I'll post the finish results.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 11 Nov 2020 at 05:36 am.
Old 11 Nov 2020, 09:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Opions on choice for to paint front and back bumper areas on SOOO BIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Only Aubrey's skill at blending the rear quarters made it unnoticeable.[/B]
You could color coat just the damaged face of the bumpers and blend at the bumper corners. Then there will be only clear where the side panels meet.
Old 11 Nov 2020, 11:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus View Post
You could color coat just the damaged face of the bumpers and blend at the bumper corners. Then there will be only clear where the side panels meet.
Thanks, but in this particular case that won't be doable
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 11 Nov 2020, 03:38 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I would Repaint them back body color Cool Nilla
I have had 2 with the grey bumpers
Never liked that look..
Handy_Cruiser likes this.