PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Opions on choice for to paint front and back bumper areas on SOOO BIG

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2020, 03:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default repainting front and back bumper areas on SOOO BIG

The thread title's wrong. As I tried to correct it, some words didn't show. Should read,
"Advice on color to repaint front and back bumper areas on SOOO BIG."
Florida nature and stone trucks have finally taken their toll on SOOO BIG's front bumper cover.
The clear coat is lifting and there's some chips from slung rocks.
The plan was, my friend Aubrey would remove the front bumper cover and repaint it.
I don't want to remove the front bumper cover unless necessary.

This morning I had an idea that Aubrey says is do-able. Just repaint the bumper areas on front
and back bumper covers, matching the dash panel silver.

That second SOOO BIG emblem on the rear bumper is actually covering a parking lot ouchy.

It'd be a matter of prep, tape and paint. No bumper cover removal. Not a stock look on an 05 by any means
but both bumper covers repaired.
Similar to the black bumper appearance of earlier first generation PT's.

The paint shop has the silver to match the dash panels, ($36.00 a pint. FUL-THANE URETHANE SS 882361 )
Second option. Believe it or not there's a paint that replicates an actual chrome finish.
($106.00 a pint. CHROMABASE BC 937568)

Which would you choose, silver or Chrome?
Has anyone had experience with this "Chrome paint?"
Please advise.

SOOO-BIG-.jpg

-20200412-11.jpg

3771456183675.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 10 Nov 2020 at 09:22 pm.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 04:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Opions on choice for to paint front and back bumper areas on SOOO BIG

If your asking for opinions, take off the bumpers and repaint them to match. Lot easier, looks better. Specially white. Gravy
Old 10 Nov 2020, 04:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Opions on choice for to paint front and back bumper areas on SOOO BIG

Not sure why you're hesitant on removing the skirts. If you are going to spend the money, you will get a better result pulling. I'd be worried it will look like a cheap paint over just masking. You are bound to see the masking marks in the areas where the skirts roll into the body panels, especially against the cool vanilla. I don't care how much time your friend spends masking, even with 1/8 tape.
If you pull the skirts, the paint will actually be one solid paint system and be less likely to chip or peel.
Also, you're free to drive the car all you want, while your friend can take all the time he needs on the prep work.

Also, not pooling you risk paint pooling on the transition cracks and then peeling away, when the temperature changes.

Probably not what you want to hear, but you obviously have an affection for the car to dress it up, might as well do it right, of its an option.
ptprice and MJKnight like this.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would go with the original white. It already looks great.

As far as doing the work with the bumper covers in place, that easy on those bumpers and it's very easy to mask them off. Just be sure to use the right paint with a final clear coat. It will look as good or better than the factory paint job. On my 2001 Limited, I used a roller to do the black and then sprayed clear over that. It looked really nice.

ptprice likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Nov 2020 at 06:03 pm.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 06:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper77 View Post
Not sure why you're hesitant on removing the skirts. If you are going to spend the money, you will get a better result pulling. I'd be worried it will look like a cheap paint over just masking. You are bound to see the masking marks in the areas where the skirts roll into the body panels, especially against the cool vanilla. I don't care how much time your friend spends masking, even with 1/8 tape.
If you pull the skirts, the paint will actually be one solid paint system and be less likely to chip or peel.
Also, you're free to drive the car all you want, while your friend can take all the time he needs on the prep work.

Also, not pulling you risk paint pealing on the transition cracks and then pealing away, when the temperature changes.

Probably not what you want to hear, but you obviously have an affection for the car to dress it up, might as well do it right, of its an option.
Thanks for the input hopper.
This isn't a "dress-up." I prefer re-establishing the actual definition of bumpers on the front and rear bumper covers. I've always liked the look. First generation PTs prior to 05 shared this definition. Chrysler went cheap in 05 and stopped doing it.
There's an ideal tape line betwixt the bumper cover and bumper line. Aubrey is a master at prepping, priming and taping. He does a lot of high dollar repair and paint. He's working me in as a friend. The Chrome or silver paint is going on over a long established surface that's has minimal clear coat lift and a few rock chips. Our intent was to sand smooth and repaint Cool Vanilla White as original. That's why the cover had to be remove. Using this alternative, as an extra plus, we're addressing the rear bumper cover ouchy.
I'm confidant there'll be no pealing of the bumper paint. The "transition's" actually designed to be painted this way. There's an easy to follow, perfect break to define the bumper.
That said, what I need is advise on Chrome Paint verse silver paint. Or even going back to the bumper black of previous years.
Again, thanks for your advise.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim, 5 piece bumper trim, Leather tilt steering wheel, Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 06:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I would go with the original white. It already looks great.

As far as doing the work with the bumper covers in place, that easy on those bumpers and it's very easy to mask them off. Just be sure to use the right paint with a final clear coat. It will look as good or better than the factory paint job. On my 2001 Limited, I used a roller to do the black and then sprayed clear over that. It looked really nice.

Thanks Handy. Those photo were pre-clear coat lift/stone chips on the front cover and of course there's that ouchy on the back. I see you clear coated instead of flat black. Nice. Wow, that's the look I want. Do you know anything about the Chrome paint I just discovered today? I have a week to decide between that or the silver. Both would be clear coated
Old 10 Nov 2020, 06:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That chrome paint is really good on some applications. Here's an example:

While it makes those screws on the PCM look nice, it won't look like that on a large surface. For that, you would need a Mylar wrap like this.

But to me, the white looks great and that's what I would stay with.
ptprice likes this.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 06:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Please yourself; not us!
But, I'd go with removing the bumpers and paint them body color.
ptprice likes this.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 10 Nov 2020, 07:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
That chrome paint is really good on some applications. Here's an example:

While it makes those screws on the PCM look nice, it won't look like that on a large surface. For that, you would need a Mylar wrap like this.

But to me, the white looks great and that's what I would stay with.
Matching the Cool Vanilla White will not be an option. We tried it on the back cover a year ago and it was impossible to perfectly replicate. Only Aubrey's skill at blending the rear quarters made it work.
Full car chrome wrap's been done here in Ormond Beach.
While it worked on screws, you don't consider the bumpers for candidates for the Chrome paint.
Kinda the way I'm leaning but I don't have any knowledge of this Chrome paint. Thanks.

Last edited by ptprice; 10 Nov 2020 at 07:15 pm.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 08:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Matching the Cool Vanilla White will not be an option. We tried it on the back cover a year ago and it was impossible to perfectly replicate. Only Aubrey's skill at blending the rear quarters made it work.
Full car chrome wrap's been done here in Ormond Beach.
While it worked on screws, you don't consider the bumpers for candidates for the Chrome paint.
Kinda the way I'm leaning but I don't have any knowledge of this Chrome paint. Thanks.
I've never seen chrome paint on a large surface like that. If your buddy doesn't have experience with it, I'd go with silver. Shooting gloss black is hard enough to keep from blushing . I would imagine chrome might be a challenge to make it look consistent.

I am curious why you couldn't use cool vanilla if you follow the same lines you were going to use with a 2 tone. Seems the natural break points would be enough to hide any inconsistentcies from being so obvious.

Not truing to change your mind from the 2 tone, just making you weren't discounting the idea because you didn't think there was a way to go back original without shooting the whole car.

Chrome has the potential of making the car stand out, but my ignorance has me thinking it has the potential to look really bad, my ignorance has be looking back at some rattle can chrome paint jobs that look like "rattle can" chrome paint jobs.

Go with your gut. If it looks like crap, repaint and your never left wondering!
ptprice likes this.