PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 won't start

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Dec 2020, 01:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 won't start

I have a 2006 PT cruiser that won't start. The car hadn't been used in a while, I replaced the battery and took it for a drive. After a few miles it started sputtering and died. when I cranked it it seemed to sputter a bit but never started. I put some fresh gas in it but it never started. I got it towed home checked the fuel pump and didn't hear the pump running back at the tank so I replaced it. Still won't start. I put a timing light on one of the plug wires and am getting a spark, opened the throttle body and sprayed in starter fluid and got nothing. Any suggestions or ideas?
Old 17 Dec 2020, 01:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkordzi View Post
I have a 2006 PT cruiser that won't start. The car hadn't been used in a while, I replaced the battery and took it for a drive. After a few miles it started sputtering and died. when I cranked it it seemed to sputter a bit but never started. I put some fresh gas in it but it never started. I got it towed home checked the fuel pump and didn't hear the pump running back at the tank so I replaced it. Still won't start. I put a timing light on one of the plug wires and am getting a spark, opened the throttle body and sprayed in starter fluid and got nothing. Any suggestions or ideas?
Check for engine trouble codes. Engine light on?
If no codes try unplugging camshaft sensor to see if PCM is triggering codes.
If you get code for camshaft sensor check to make sure you get spark on all four cylinders.
If spark on all four cylinders do engine compression test.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 17 Dec 2020 at 02:01 pm.
Old 17 Dec 2020, 02:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No codes and check engine light not on.
Old 17 Dec 2020, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=klkordzi;720105]No codes and check engine light not on.[/QUOTE

Let us know if you need help to unplug camshaft sensor?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 17 Dec 2020 at 05:08 pm.
Old 18 Dec 2020, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I disconnected the battery and zip tied the connectors together over night. Sprayed some starter fluid into the throttle body and it started but would not keep running. So now I know I have 2 of the 3 things needed for it to run. I was going to check the fuel pump at the connector to see if it is getting voltage. I also have a Power Probe so I can try to get the pump to come on and see if it runs then.
Old 18 Dec 2020, 03:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I disconnected the battery and zip tied the connectors together over night. Sprayed some starter fluid into the throttle body and it started but would not keep running. So now I know I have 2 of the 3 things needed for it to run. I was going to check the fuel pump at the connector to see if it is getting voltage. I also have a Power Probe so I can try to get the pump to come on and see if it runs then.
If it runs after you apply 12 volts to the fuel pump I would suggest checking the TIPM. Very common for the TIPM to fail on the year 2006 Pt Cruiser. 2006 was the first year they put the TIPM in the Pt Cruiser. The fuel pump relay is inside the TIPM.
rockandroller likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 18 Dec 2020 at 03:40 pm.
Old 19 Dec 2020, 01:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I lowered the gas tank and took out the pump assembly. If I apply a ground and power to the pump, it works outside of the tank. Won't work when the connector is plugged in and power on at the key. Also checked and I'm getting power through the connector to the pump. Does anyone know which wire in the connector to the pump is the ground?
Old 19 Dec 2020, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I lowered the gas tank and took out the pump assembly. If I apply a ground and power to the pump, it works outside of the tank. Won't work when the connector is plugged in and power on at the key. Also checked and I'm getting power through the connector to the pump. Does anyone know which wire in the connector to the pump is the ground?
If you have the TIPM the dark brown/orange fuel pump wire from the TIPM goes to C110 connector. Changes to dark green/white from C110 connector to the fuel pump. From all the posts I have been reading on this forum sometimes the colors change but this is from the manual I have. Some members have checked C110 connector to see if the problem is from there.

Your fuel pump has black/light green going to ground through C110 connector according to my manual.

I would suggest checking the 7 ground wires going to the driver's side inner wall fender for bad ground contacts. Some members have found corrosion.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 19 Dec 2020 at 02:58 pm.
Old 19 Dec 2020, 02:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

On my Olds a fuel injector shorted out and shut down all the injectors. I found it with a noid light. A small bulb that plugs in, instead of the injector, and blinks if there's a signal. Well.... it wasn't so much the light as it was the engine running after disconnecting the bad injector to plug the bulb in.

Last edited by circus; 19 Dec 2020 at 03:03 pm.
Old 19 Dec 2020, 03:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by circus View Post
On my Olds a fuel injector shorted out and shut down all the injectors. I found it with a noid light. A small bulb that plugs in, instead of the injector, and blinks if there's a signal.
Was a code triggered for the shorted fuel injector?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 19 Dec 2020 at 05:25 pm.