Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By soonercruiser
  • 1 Post By Mealticket
  • 2 Post By Mealticket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2021, 11:20 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Anybody replaced airbag module?

All - please let me know if anybody has replaced their airbag module DIY-style, especially with a used unit. I may need to go that route, and would like to avoid the dealer for any programming, ie, the VIN needing to match, that sort of thing. I don't see any services online that do this. There are many services that will reset the original module after a collision, but this is not my situation. Thanks,

MT
Old 05 Mar 2021, 11:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Anybody replaced airbag module?

Please give us the year and model of your PT. Then describe what your actual problem and situation are. What are you trying to fix or accomplish?
Old 05 Mar 2021, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is a 2004 non-turbo, AT car that I just picked up, and the airbag light is on. It was towed, and I don't remember it having the light on when I bought it. My scanner shows the following in the airbag section:

ORC output circuit
Power stage not tested
No IFR Message

There are no code numbers, and the codes will not clear with my scanner, which is a Launch Creader CRP123. It will allow me to step through the steps to clear, and says that it was successful, but the codes do not clear. Disconnecting the battery also does not clear them. My horn works. I also tried a thing with turning the key on and waiting for the light to go out after 7 seconds and then repeating twice, but the light never goes out at all.

The FSM seems to be very little help. I believe the codes are communication bus codes, on a PCI bus. I finally found a usable procedure to check pin 2 at the DLC, for both voltage and resistance, and I find no abnormalities there so I doubt it's a wiring issue. I wonder if maybe the codes simply need to be cleared out, and then I could see if they come back, so I may go see my buddy with a shop and buy him a sixer to clear the codes. But then again it may need an ORC. I have removed the console so that the module is exposed but you can't go full gorilla poking wires on an airbag system or the bags may deploy.

MT
Old 05 Mar 2021, 10:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you are just worried about just clearing codes, have you tried disconnecting the Neg battery cable for 10 minutes?

2003 PT Cruiser GT Panel Van Conversion as new day driver.

Have now owned 6 PT Cruisers = Me PT Crazy!
Old 05 Mar 2021, 10:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I disconnected the battery, but I don't think it was for 10 minutes. Let me try that. Thanks,

MT
Old 06 Mar 2021, 07:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) is located under the center console by the parking brake. These often get more than their fair share of soft drinks leaked on them. If everything else checks out good, you might want to remove the center console and clean the ORC.

Also, as far as I know, these don't need to be flashed. You can likely get one from any similar PT at a salvage yard.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 06 Mar 2021 at 08:03 pm.
Old 07 Mar 2021, 10:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, Handy Cruiser. I will take a close look at those connections. I'm also going to replace both battery cables as they are crap, and fully charge the battery. I just watched a video that reinforced how sensitive airbag systems are to low voltage. I had a '98 Caravan that wouldn't run the OBDII monitors and I couldn't figure out why, and the engine was cranking fine, but the battery was just a tad low. Charged the battery, and the monitors ran immediately.

I will also check grounds, and there was one ground unconnected under the hood which I re-attached. That could have set the codes. If none of that changes anything, I'll pay my buddy a few bucks to clear the codes and I'll see if they come back.

MT
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 12 Mar 2021, 10:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Closing this off, I had my buddy who owns a shop and has high-end scanners scan it, and it gave P1200 and a description of 'driver output', which is usually enough info to figure out that the module is in fact the culprit. I bought one at Pick 'N Pull with the same P/N, and waited 30 minutes after disconnecting the battery on my car before swapping it in. The light went out and I'm good. It does not appear that any programming is needed, as Handy Cruiser mentioned.

MT

Tags
orc, srs