PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Where to start???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jul 2004, 06:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptdreamer
Default Where to start???

Oh well, better just jump in with both feet... First off, I've been poking around these forums for a little over a month and I am most impressed with differing levels of expertise and how ready everyone is to help out one another. It's pretty cool.

So here goes, I've got an '04 Dream Series III and I'm looking to dress it up a little more. When it comes to the aesthetics make it LOOK good- trim, chrome, lights, etc. - no problem. When it come to liftin' the hood - forget it - I'm a total novice. I'm just looking for suggestion with what to start with. What works well vs. what looks good. Not afraid to get in there, but I gotta have direction or help.
So where do we start?
Air Intake? Is it worth it. What type?
What about dual exaust? Will it do more than look sweet? Catback or Axle-back? Brands. Any and all help appreciated.
What can I do myself, what should I see a Pro about?Thanks

PS: My dad just got his new InfernoRed '05 GT Covert - we'll be looking for mods for it too.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 11:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quotetdreamer Posted - 07/27/2004 : 5:20:43 PM
So where do we start?
Ah, the age old question. What do you want the most - bling, handling, or power.
Quote:
quote:Air Intake? Is it worth it. What type?
Yeah, I think it's worth it. What's your budget? For about $100 you can get the AMX intake pipe that will work with your stock air box - I recommend a K&N drop in filter with this. Nice and shiny, frees up the intake and lets you hear some of the sounds of the turbo spooling. For something really cool at around $300 you can get the VAK intake from www.prototypepower.com that will give you a nice open intake plus a hard pipe to replace the stock uppercharge pipe. This is the pipe that connects the intercooler to the throttle body. It's available in assorted colors and gives a noticeable improvement in throttle response and power.
Quote:
quote:What about dual exaust? Will it do more than look sweet?
It will sound sweet too, but don't expect a big jump in power or you'll be let down.
Quote:
quote:Catback or Axle-back? Brands. Any and all help appreciated.
I went with the BTG cat/back duals, mostly just 'cause I wanted duals on my car! Some people have complained about a drone around 3000rpm with this exhaust, but I don't seem to have it. The Mopar/Borla setup is nice too, with a nice deep rumbly sound.
Quote:
quote:What can I do myself, what should I see a Pro about?
Depends on your comfort level. You could install any of the above yourself with basic tools, but some prefer to have a pro install the exhaust. I did, but everything else, including Stage 1, I installed myself.
Quote:
quote:Thanks
You're welcome.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 01:39 am
Cool Cruiser

Welcome Dreamer!! It's good you came here with your questions first. There are some good solid people here with a lot of good advice and information. I listened for a long time before I started to mod my car and picked up some valuable information from guys like Mike and Adam at VAK, and Gary04 (the SAGE of the site) and dynomite with web-picture information and directions. Feel free to ask questions, we've all done the dumb ones, and don't fear being flamed here...poked in the rips, yes, but the flame jobs are on the cars!!!

Welcome and Great Cruizen!

PS Get your dad on here too, any man with a RED GT convertable must have something to say![^]
Old 29 Jul 2004, 02:06 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mike-in-Orange
...For about $100 you can get the AMX intake pipe that will work with your stock air box - I recommend a K&N drop in filter with this. Nice and shiny, frees up the intake and lets you hear some of the sounds of the turbo spooling...
Great MOD--highly recommend! It looks great and helps your turbo engine breath better as there is NO SILENCER in the pipe which is 3-inches round for its entire length. [8D] [8)]

You can get one here: http://members.cox.net/~amx1397/about.html