Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BTG Single Exhaust Rundown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2004, 02:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Default BTG Single Exhaust Rundown

I just got my Catback system from BTG. When i installed it the first time i only put on the axleback section to see what it would sound like. When they say it is loud this is only a half truth. From idle to 3k its noticable but nice, From 3k to 4k its skull splitting!!! and above that it evens out and becomes tolerable again. I drove with just the axleback for about 3 hours today and came home with a migraine. Once the headache went away i crawled back under the car and installed the 36" resonator.
After an initial drive i noticed a significant drop in dB level. Since its late i cant tell if it will still give me headaches but im guessing not.

And to put loud into perspective, My 66 mustang with a 302 had turboflows on it, a moderately loud car. That car NEVER gave me a headache from loud exhaust.
There is something to this resonance that is mentioned at the 3k mark.

I am still very pleased with this exhaust system!!! It sounds awesome!

IMHO
Old 28 Jul 2004, 04:06 am
Dedicated Cruiser

FYI it will get louder as you put additional miles on it. Also, if you go to STAGE 1 there will be a slight increase in sound. By putting a 24-inch resonator on mine I pretty much got rid of most of the "harmonic drone" at 3K rpm, the overall tone improved (to my ears), and my wife was happy.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 01:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Make sure your connections are tight, you may have a carbon monoxide migraine, not good. I have the BTG axil back and it is loud but I don't notice a resonance as I go through 3K rpm.[8)]
Old 29 Jul 2004, 12:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

the connections were ok. (used to install exhausts at Kmart) Im in a N/A pt so the harmonic tone coming from the engine is different than your GT.
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 29 Jul 2004, 01:03 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Any exhaust is louder on the NA than on the GT, due to the noise reducing characteristics of the turbo itself.

It amazes me that with what Chrysler advertises as a better flowing exhaust on the stock GT, it is still quieter than the stock exhaust on the NA. I would have thought they would have opened it up to the point that it would have been at least as loud as the stock NA.

I went into a auto parts store a few weeks ago and my wife stayed in the car. When I came out, I got in and tried to start it. Nothing happened. Then I realized she had started the car while I was in the store to turn on the air-conditioner. I had walked past the exhaust and didn't even realize the engine was running. "GT" indeed.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 04:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I had the Bassani on my GT. It was much louder (without baffles) than the 2.5" Borla I had on my 01 LE.
I went with a custom 2.5" system with a transverse Magnaflow muffler (straight through) which for me at least, gave a nice balance between noise, pleasant idle and acceleration sound and with minimal drone.

2003 GT Inferno Red,5-spd,Eibach Springs,Koni Sport Adjustables, Eibach front and rear Sway Bars, Mopar Stage 1,Mopar BOV,Custom 2.5\" Dual Tip Exhaust (Magnaflow),Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Pioneer DEH6500 Headunit, RF Punch 300 and 301 Amps,RF 12\" Sub and MB Quart Reference and Premium Speakers,Ronal RT 17x7.5\'s with Michelin Pilot Sport 225/45ZR17s, Koni Adjustible shocks, Keystone single scoop, GT Airraid Intake, Mopar Ground Effects
Homepage:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ptgtredman

http://blueman.ptenthusiasts.net/index.html
Old 30 Jul 2004, 12:28 am
Cool Cruiser

Strange side note: I lost 5mph on my top end!!! strange.
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 30 Jul 2004, 08:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JPMS GT

you may have a carbon monoxide migraine.[8)]
Wow! That goes back a ways.

Today's low emission cars can be used to keep your coffee hot or heat your home with the exhaust.
There's nothing in the last 10 years that has enough CO or NOX emissions to harm you.
It's my lawn mower that sets off the CO alarm in my shop. The customer's cars all have cat converters and lower emissions.

The days of killing yourself with a car running in a closed garage are long gone.

Side note:
Back in the days of big block muscle cars, I suffered CO poisoning twice. I'm well aware of the effects.