Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Petroleum or Synthetic Oils

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jul 2004, 12:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Petroleum or Synthetic Oils

Has anyone reviewed the info on oil www.TheMotorOilSite .com?
This article is pro-synthetic, and pro AMSOIL or Neo oil. What is the feeling about using these oils and filter (oil and air).
Old 28 Jul 2004, 01:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No expert. Been using synthetic for countless years. A lot of cars come with it from the factory. Turbo's should definitely use it because of the heat. Supposed to give you a couple miles per gallon because it allows engine parts to run easier. It isn't subject to extreme heat or cold weather...and finally, you can go a lot further between oil changes, although most of us that use it still change the oil & filter at 3-4,000 anyway.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 01:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

I changed from OEM motor oil to Castrol Syntec (full synthetic), at the first oil change. Wish I'd have done it as soon as I got the car home from the new car dealer. You can use 5w30 synthetic regardless of outside air temp. I didn't use a 'specialty synthetic' in order to be able to get replacement oil anywhere. I use K&N oil and air filters. Synthetic is particularly desirable for Turbos because of it's high tempurature lubricating properties (also excellent for non-turbos). All jet aircraft engines use synthetic oil. All full synthetic motor oils provide the same benefits. Darrell
Old 28 Jul 2004, 02:05 pm
Young Cruiser

According to the Motor Oil Bible, in the 5w30 bracket AMSOIL XL7500 ranking score is 765 and Castrol Syntec ranks 675. This person has a rather extensive research on the value of different brands of petrolem and synthetic oil. I have resevations on the 25k oil change that AMSOIL and Neo claim.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 02:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

I don't think any of us are ever going to reach the operating limits of any synthetic oil. I also had concerns about the change interval with AMSOIL.
Old 28 Jul 2004, 08:29 pm
Young Cruiser

neighbor has new bmw conv .oil change 15ooo miles comes with sny.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 01:01 am
Cool Cruiser

I was always a 3K changer until I got an 02 Exprorer and the computer was set to tell you when you needed a change (5or6K). Why spend the money to change 2 to 3K early? The car warrenty only asks that you follow the manufacturers recommended intervals. After all the guy making the machenery is saying 5K and the guy that makes or changes the oil says 3K. Another thing is that the technology has come a long way in lubricants and filters and I gotta believe that synthetic oil could go even 10, 15 or 20K if the filter is still filtering.
I knew a man in the 50's who drove a chevy panel delivery car(like a wagon only with metal sides)to deliver vending machine goodies. He would put 3-4-500,000 miles on a car and only change the oil filter and top up the oil..conventional oil! He kept these cars imaculate and there were alway folks lined up to buy his used ones with a half a million miles on them!
Old 29 Jul 2004, 04:47 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AlmondTurbo
You can use 5w30 synthetic regardless of outside air temp.
A synth 5W-40 is the better choice, especially for summer heat.

Peter [8)]
Old 29 Jul 2004, 07:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art Rigby

According to the Motor Oil Bible, in the 5w30 bracket AMSOIL XL7500 ranking score is 765 and Castrol Syntec ranks 675. This person has a rather extensive research on the value of different brands of petrolem and synthetic oil. I have resevations on the 25k oil change that AMSOIL and Neo claim.
I don't buy the extended change intervals. Fine, the oil doesn't break down, but it picks up acids & contaminants that a filter won't get. My OPINION.
I use synthetics on all my cars, lawn mower - and engine. K&N oil filters for my PT.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Jul 2004, 09:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic oil. I run 15W50 in my Porsche, and 10W30 in the Cruiser, I change both at 4k miles. I use either a Mobil 1 filter, or a Purilator Pure One (which in a recent review, has been shown to be the best filter you can buy - Even out proformed K&N) Sorry, I just deleted my bookmark to the review, otherwise I would have put that in here too. But they reviewed if I remember right, about 25 different oil filters, and did a bunch of tests on them.

I agree with quicksilverdon on the acids and contaminants that build up in the oil, which are not filtered out. Which do more harm to the motor then good. I dont know if Mobil 1 is the best oil, but I have never had any touble, and out of all the oils I have used, its been by far the best oil (Quaker State and Pensoil were two of the other I have tried, along with some others over the years)

I think if you wait 25k miles to change your oil, you are just asking to have your motor rebuilt at a very premature age. Just my opinion though.

Matt

[^]

Past Mopars:
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible GT
2006 PT Cruiser Convertible
2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition
1993 Plymouth Sundance/Duster 3.0 litre