Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Add 20+ HP to your cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jul 2004, 05:12 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Add 20+ HP to your cruiser

Has anyone use a resistor that is advertized on Ebay that alters the ECU readings to give more fuel on accelleration? Go to Ebay use pt cruiser 20+ hp for the rearch.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 05:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Art,

They've been around awhile. It attaches to the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor and fools the computer into thinking the air coming into the throttle body is colder than it actually is. More fuel is fed into the engine, the timing is advanced and you should get a few more horse power out of it. The down side is that it's always set that way weather your racing or sitting at a stop light and your using more fuel ...all the time. We already get bad gas mileage (at least most of us do).

P.S. I wouldn't count on seeing 20+ hp from it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 07:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

I just saw something on Moss Motors (Supercharger System by Jackson Racing. It looks pretty expensive because there is no price listed and the install looks pretty intense. It says it will raise your HP by 40Hp. If it does this you may get 12 miles to the gallon.

Gonz
Old 31 Jul 2004, 07:11 am
Cool Cruiser

Adding fuel is pretty useless, our cars are running wayyyyyyy rich now, advanceing timing could get you a couple of hp, or put a nice little hole in your piston. Don't waste your money. As far as adding a supercharger,,,,, I gave this alot of thought when I had my '02. There are some posts here and other boards, PTE, PTOC,ect and it seems not alot of people who did it are very happy. The Hahn turbo seems to make people happier. BUT after all the reading I did, I decided to trade my Touring in on a GT. Too many reasons to do it, Better block, piston sprayers, if you are in an accident the intercooler is stock so it gets replaced, I liked the chrome gt wheels, better finance rate. Down side of trade-in,, no rear sway bar, YES IT DOES MATTER, I don't care what Chrysler says, one horn was taken away. Both of these issues are correctable, I have dual 130db horns to go on, and I am getting eibach sways.
So it boils down to this, in my opinion, go for the trade, even getting a turbo lite is good, with S1 it is the same as a GT with S1.
Tom
Old 31 Jul 2004, 09:12 am
Cool Cruiser

I've been boosting PTs and many other cars for a long time. I can tell you one fact that the retailers of that junk won't say.....

At full throttle, the IAT sensor is not used.
At WOT, the PT PCM fuel/timing strategy is pre-programmed in the PCM to max out at 24 degrees timing. That's it. Period.
Above 85% throttle angle, the input sensors to the computer are not used.

You can get as much as 37 degrees of timing at 80% throttle angle, but no one will get above 24 degrees at WOT.

You can have your PCM sent out for a performance program to cure this conservative fuel strategy, but you will be forced to run premium fuel at all times.

Old 31 Jul 2004, 02:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade

And its a tiny metal wire attached to a piece of paper
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)
Old 31 Jul 2004, 02:53 pm
Young Cruiser

The part that bothered my was the timing and burning a whole in the piston. I like to hear other peoples opinions. It seems that the stock setup is the best to stay at. I have researched airfilters and the stock paper doesn't rob that much airflow to sub it with oiled foam or gause, which offer less filtering. It seems most mods offer little in the way of HP or torque.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 03:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'd have to disagree with the paper vs gauze elements. I, like many other PT owners, have dropped in a K&N filter, and noticed a difference. If just for the added sound, it's worth the $30 bucks even if you don't feel anything. There is the ole' remove the snorkle trick, which will add even more sound, and maybe a pony or two. As for cold air intakes, and the K&N FIPK system, there is a big difference. My dad has a 99' F-150 and had the FIPK installed, and the throttle response is better, it feels faster, and it's A LOT louder. (4.6L V-8) So you know that our 2.4L 4 cylinders will have a big improvement with the FIPK.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 05:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art Rigby

Has anyone use a resistor that is advertized on Ebay that alters the ECU readings to give more fuel on accelleration? Go to Ebay use pt cruiser 20+ hp for the rearch.
If you have an engine problem there is a VERY good chance you will void your warranty. If you want more power do it the right eway or don't do it at all.
Old 01 Aug 2004, 02:48 pm
Young Cruiser

test