PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
lower gas mileage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Aug 2004, 10:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default lower gas mileage

About 3 tank fulls ago I changed the oil and filter and installed synthetic oil(mobile 1) with the best Fram filter. I also purchased a K&N filter(in stock air box) ,removed the silencer. I believe my gas mileage went way down. I was getting close to 300 miles a tank full now a little over 200 miles per tank. I read on another forum, a suggestion to someone else that had done another upgrade and thought they should be getting more from it was to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to reset the fuel air mix in the computer. Did I get this correct? Need some help here, not racing or anything.[:I]
Old 01 Aug 2004, 10:07 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I always reset the computer after installing a new mod. I wouldn't think doing what you did would drop down mpg like that. I'm running synthetic oil and a turbo up intake with my 5 speed and I get 23-24 mpg in combo driving of city, country highways and freeways. I'm not always light on the foot either.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 01 Aug 2004, 10:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

By disconnecting the battery you reset the computer to your "new" type of driving etc.

I feel that your milage should have increased, if only replaceing the stock air filter. I replace my filter with a Airaid setup and now I am getting 28 mpg highway, where before I was only getting 23-24. Well worth the $$$$$'s.
Old 02 Aug 2004, 09:42 am
Young Cruiser

I have taken the inbox silencer out (the white one) using a paper oem paper filter with the original coil, wires and plugs. With 30k on the odometer, driving with air @ 65mph from Notre Dame IN to Peru IL (90miles south of Chicago), I got a 28plus. When I drive 70mph plus the mileage drops to 24 to 25. Driving habit has alot to do with mileage.
Old 02 Aug 2004, 10:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Can't hurt to disconnect battery - but I never did. Any other factors, like have you been using A/C now and weren't before? Change gas stations?
Doesn't make sense. Mileage should've gotten better.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 02 Aug 2004, 12:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania

QSD,
Just filled up car took 12.667 gallons @218.7 miles. By my calculations I only got 17.26 mpg. That sux. I disconnected the battery cable and I will let you guys know on the outcome. Anybody else with advice, please feel free

Gonz
Old 02 Aug 2004, 12:54 pm
Young Cruiser

Just a side note here......some automotive fuels are blends of gasoline and other combustables (like ethanol) that do not have the same energy content as 100% gasoline does. This alone can account for some increased fuel consumption, all other things being equal. Also, some areas of the country use different blends based on the season, so if you live in a high-smog locale your Summer blend is likely not the same as the Winter one.

YMMV (literally )
Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 02 Aug 2004, 12:57 pm
Young Cruiser

Read the site test www.bobistheoilguy.com.
Old 02 Aug 2004, 12:59 pm
Young Cruiser

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ sorry guys try this.
Old 02 Aug 2004, 09:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have been using Mobil 1 with a K&N filter, K&N drop in air filter and with a new set of plugs and Magnecor wires I just got 22 mpg. This is better than I used to get with my non-turbo Limited Edition.
I am going to check a couple of more times and average them out. If it stays around 22 I will be happy.