Advertisements
Catbacks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Aug 2004, 11:46 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to gonzomania
Default Catbacks

I'm alittle confused on this subject, will a catback exhaust system
increase horsepower and increase gas mileage because of less backflow or just horsepower? Does anybody have the site on what they actually sound like on the cruiser?
Old 14 Aug 2004, 01:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

pt-tuning.com has some sound files of their system, which I have installed on my car. In my opinion, and experience, a cat back exhaust won't accomplish much other than lightening your wallet and making your car sound cool. Having said that, I love my BTG cat/back duals - the way they look, the way they sound, etc. I can't honestly say that I noticed an increase in power or mileage.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 04:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to bigtommy83

It is noticable if you have a more restrictive exhaust put on and then put a free flowing exhaust on like I did. I put on a muffler that was more or less meant for an NA PT instead of my PT. Then I put on a Flowmaster and there was a world of difference. The thing is it all depends on how much more flow through the system there is than the original. Most catbacks have the same flow characteristics as the factory. The only way you are going to tell a differene is a high flow cat and 3 inch exhaust, after you put a 4-2-1 header on your NA PT.

\'04 GT 5-speed, Brand X, Air Force One Intake, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust (retired), SRT-4 exhaust no resonators, AGP Wastegate, Crusher Kit, Former Chrome Package, Mopar BOV, Custom Sub Box, Mopar Pillar Gauges, Hood Scoop, MBC, Stage 1, Mopar Stage 1 Springs, Hurst STS
Future Plans: Custom Intercooler Sprayer, 2-tone Paint Job
\"Hondas are like cigarettes, everyone cool smokes them\"
Old 14 Aug 2004, 06:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

Your not going to notice much a difference... and, for the record, I don't consider a few extra hp to be a big difference (because it's not). It'll sound differnt, and thats about it.

First off, don't mess with the whole cat-back system. You're just paying for crap you don't need (and already have). Just buy a muffler of your choice and have a shop put it on for you.

As far as mufflers go, it's up to you. Glass packs are loud, but they sound like crap on a 4-banger (but good on V8's, ask me how I know[8D]) If I get a good chucnk of chage this Christmas, I'll probally spend some money on the Cruiser and maybe get a slightly louder/better muffler.

Old 14 Aug 2004, 07:14 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I have a Turbo style muffler on mine. It is kinda loud but sounds good. I put a resonator on it and that made a world of difference! Same great sound but less volume. I get a pleasant tone at cruising speed that is wonderful. I got mine done at Kinneys Muffler in Bedford,Tx. They ain't the cheapest but they are the best! They have 2 different pre made systems for those interested. They have a single out and then they have a duals setup. In the showroom they have a DVD system with pictures and sound that is awesome!