PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How much fuel left?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2004, 08:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie
Default How much fuel left?

I was wondering if anyone knew how much fuel is left once the light goes on and stays on? Also, how much fuel is left once the needle hits the orange on the guage?

My mom's Lexus has a nice display giving all that info (Miles left on fuel remaining, Average MPG, Current MPG, etc.). I just like to know in case.

I have an '04 GT.
Old 25 Aug 2004, 08:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

I can't tell you how much fuel is left, but I can promise you that there isn't enough fuel to properly cool and lubricate the fuel pump.

The gas is the only coolant for the fuel pump. You should never let it get less than 1/4 tank.

I replace a lot of very expensive fuel pump modules for people who could have prevented the failure. They bitch about the repair costs, but don't understand that it is they who caused it.

"Refuel at 1/4 tank."
That should be as common as "don't swear at your mother" and "don't point a loaded gun at anyone".
Old 25 Aug 2004, 09:59 pm
Young Cruiser

i think there's approx.7 liters left.don't know
in gallons [:I]
Old 26 Aug 2004, 03:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MX-5

I can't tell you how much fuel is left, but I can promise you that there isn't enough fuel to properly cool and lubricate the fuel pump.

The gas is the only coolant for the fuel pump. You should never let it get less than 1/4 tank.

I replace a lot of very expensive fuel pump modules for people who could have prevented the failure. They bitch about the repair costs, but don't understand that it is they who caused it.

"Refuel at 1/4 tank."
That should be as common as "don't swear at your mother" and "don't point a loaded gun at anyone".
Is this a common rule with all vehicles? I know I once fueled the Lexus when it displayed 1 mile to get anywhere until I REALLY run out of gas.

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>
Old 26 Aug 2004, 07:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazie.eddie

Quote:
quote:[i]
"Refuel at 1/4 tank."
Is this a common rule with all vehicles? I know I once fueled the Lexus when it displayed 1 mile to get anywhere until I REALLY run out of gas.
Yes and no. Not many cars have fuel pump buried in gas tank, BUT keeping tank full gives less room for condensation to form, so it's not a bad idea in any car.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Aug 2004, 09:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon
Yes and no. Not many cars have fuel pump buried in gas tank,
I'm not sure what you mean by that.
I've not seen a car WITHOUT the fuel pump inside the fuel tank produced after 1988. That means that most all fuel injected cars on the road have the pump inside the tank, submerged in fuel as a coolant.

The PT fuel pump module costs $210 plus installation labor. I keep one in inventory at my shop.
I can tell you that we refuel at or above 1/4 tank, and I've never had to replace a fuel pump in any of my own vehicles. Plus, I've never ran out of gas.

Old 26 Aug 2004, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crazie.eddie

I was wondering if anyone knew how much fuel is left once the light goes on and stays on? Also, how much fuel is left once the needle hits the orange on the guage?

My mom's Lexus has a nice display giving all that info (Miles left on fuel remaining, Average MPG, Current MPG, etc.). I just like to know in case.

I have an '04 GT.
one chime: 3 gallons
multiple chimes: 1 gallon
Old 26 Aug 2004, 04:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MX-5

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by quicksilverdon
Yes and no. Not many cars have fuel pump buried in gas tank,
I'm not sure what you mean by that.
I've not seen a car WITHOUT the fuel pump inside the fuel tank produced after 1988. That means that most all fuel injected cars on the road have the pump inside the tank, submerged in fuel as a coolant.

The PT fuel pump module costs $210 plus installation labor. I keep one in inventory at my shop.
I can tell you that we refuel at or above 1/4 tank, and I've never had to replace a fuel pump in any of my own vehicles. Plus, I've never ran out of gas.
MX5 is right. The fuel that surrounds the pump is what cools it. If you constantly run your car low on fuel it will wear out sooner, and I hate dropping fuel tanks. I always try to keep 1/4 tank also. Another issue is the condensation that forms in the tank. If you start to suck water into the fuel system you will have other problems.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 26 Aug 2004, 05:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just this morning I replaced the fuel pump in my sons
88 chevy .Not a lot of fun. the pump,filter and screen
cost 75 dollars Don't have any idea how much a shop would have
charge for labor.I'm going to tell him about the quarter tank
rule.thanks

Wife has a 03 limited
(Steel Blue)
Old 26 Aug 2004, 06:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I guess, whether the fuel pump is inside or not, it's better just to be safe than sorry. I'll make sure to refuel at 1/4 as well.

Thanks

<b>\'04 PT GT Graphite Metalic w/Autostick: </b> Stage1, BTG Strut Tower Brace, Eibach Anti-Sway Bars, Airaid CAI, Mopar 2.5\" Dual Cat-Back (D: 14.48@93 - A/S: 14.56@90) <i>...more mods at CarDomain or PTCruiserWorld</i>