PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Throttle Body Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2004, 02:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Throttle Body Cleaning

The last few times that I have taken my PT in for service, the dealer has told me that the throttle body needs cleaning. Now I am one who feels that my dealer has treated me fairly, both when I purchased the car, and with the regular servicing and warrantee service since. The car has 27,000 miles on it now. It sees both freeway and regular traffic driving. It is a stock base vehicle with a manual transmission. It runs fine.

This is not a service that is recommended by Chrysler to keep the warrantee.

Is this something that should be done? How can I tell?

Thank you all in advance.
Old 26 Aug 2004, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MY OPINION. Tell dealer thanks, but no thanks. Buy some Techron at WalMart and throw a bottle in your tank every now and then.
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 26 Aug 2004, 03:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

RAK,

Are you the back-yard mechanic type? If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, the rubber/hard plastic wide round tube with ribs that comes from your air filter is directly connected to the throttle body. There should be one metal silver band holding that intake tube to the throttle body. Loosen that band and gently pull the intake away. You should now be able to see the mouth of the throttle body with a round plate blocking the entrance. That plate is called the butterfly and opens and closes according to sensors to let air go through. You can move that plate with your finger and see a little ways into the throttle body. Along the bottom and sides is where carbon builds up. In my opinion, 27K miles isn't nearly enough mileage to need TB cleaning and you say the dealer has done it a few times? He might treat you well otherwise, but I think he's just adding a service to your bill to jack up the price. Anyone else have an opinion? [:I]

QSD..you did it again..I gotta learn to type faster.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 26 Aug 2004, 03:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Ok I'll weigh in on this. As a D/C tech I can tell you that there is some benefit to this but generally only at higher mileage. Yes the dealer is trying to upsell you service. That is the service advisors job. We don't make much money off of warranty alone. Do you need it?Maybe...I do throttle body services all the time.I take the t/b off and remove the Idle air control motor and clean all the passages in there and clean the throttle blades.What can happen is carbon can build up on the pintle of the IAC motor and cause and erratic idle or a rough idle. I have seen cars go 100,000 miles and never need it and cars that go 15,000 miles and be gummed up beyond belief.
My personal opinion is it should be done every 30k miles.It is very simple to do.All you need is a can of Berrymans b-12 and a 10 and 8 millimeter sockets. Takes about 20 minutes for me.If you have a little DIY skill should be no problem. Or you can just have the dealer do it and make the service advisors and the tech's day!
Old 26 Aug 2004, 05:59 pm
Young Cruiser

I am a little confused? Where does the carbon come from? In days of old, the carbon came from oil burning in the cylinders. There shouldn't be any oil going throw the intake.
Old 27 Aug 2004, 12:47 am
Cool Cruiser

At 30K miles, every PT I work on has a filthy dirty throttle plate. The PCV has its make-up air hose plumbed from the cam cover directly into the intake air tract.
The 2001 PTs are worse because the make-up hose is AFTER the air filter. This lets the oil saturated vapor coat the throttle plate.

I clean the TB as part of the 30K spark plug maintenance schedule.

Old 27 Aug 2004, 11:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Konkeler

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MX-5

At 30K miles, every PT I work on has a filthy dirty throttle plate. The PCV has its make-up air hose plumbed from the cam cover directly into the intake air tract.
The 2001 PTs are worse because the
Stupid emission control crap. Be nice if you could just rip that junk out like you can on older cars.

Old 27 Aug 2004, 05:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

I hear you Konkeler, but its the price we pay for cleaner air and still being able to have our Personal Transportation.

Thanks MX-5 and slartyblarfast, I think we all appreciate it when you tech's in the know wade in on these issues and questions. I for one feel better when you guys explain how we can do it or explain to our techs how we want it done. [8D]

Wade in anytime! [?]
Old 27 Aug 2004, 07:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:I do throttle body services all the time.I take the t/b off and remove the Idle air control motor and clean all the passages in there and clean the throttle blades.What can happen is carbon can build up on the pintle of the IAC motor and cause and erratic idle or a rough idle.
I have about 50k miles on my 02, and it seems sluggish, and poor mpg, even though I've done the plugs with double platinums and magnacore 8.5mm wires. I asked the service advisor about cleaning the fuel injection system and he started talking about throttle body, fuel injectors and valves, along with a total of $300 !!!!! What gives??

SRG
Old 27 Aug 2004, 08:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Injection service, throttle body cleaning, and upper intake valve cleaning is about $80 at my shop.
Find another dealer.